Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Joe Burrow is out here throwing guys open
(10-05-2020, 02:19 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Joe Burrow is doing what I've only seen a handful of QBs do in this league...he's throwing guys open.

How many times in the past did we talk about how many weapons Andy needed on offense in order to elevate him? Andy was a fine quarterback hitting guys that were open, but he was just limited.

Burrow is out here putting up numbers and making this offense run with who? Drew Sample, a rookie in Higgins, Boyd, and...a washed AJ Green?

I just watched the extended highlights from yesterday and Joe is literally throwing guys open. Most of the time they are covered pretty well but he's putting the ball where only our guys can catch it. Man that's just so amazing to see. He's elevating this offense more than just putting up passing yards and TDs.

His pick to Sample was my main example

He put it where only Sample could get it, until Sample showed his lack of hands and somehow allowed the LB to get it.

He threw another one to Sample that really was only available to Sample.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2020, 09:51 AM)Housh Wrote: His pick to Sample was my main example

He put it where only Sample could get it, until Sample showed his lack of hands and somehow allowed the LB to get it.

He threw another one to Sample that really was only available to Sample.

Feel like it was more of a lack of strength/toughness more than anything. Sample has gotta be stronger than that. Mans game! 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2020, 09:43 AM)Big_Ern Wrote: During a press conference, Zac made a comment about guys who bring good energy, have good body language and practice hard are the guys that dress and move up the depth chart. Something tells me that was a direct shot at Ross who probably sulks and is a mental midget. I'm sure those are the things that got him in Marvin's doghouse. Like him not hustling to the line of scrimmage in 2 minute drill.

I feel like im trapped in purgatory with the entire Ross thing. It feels like the game has been on the team my entire life and has just been...there. Not really doing much, just kind of hanging out, shooting the vibe, and kind of just coasting through it all. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2020, 04:57 AM)Wyche Wrote: Meh....is AJ washed up? It's certainly possible. Is John Ross a turd? Yes, undoubtedly. Ship his ass on, AJ too, for that matter. I've seen Ross quit on plays, drop too many, sometimes critical, passes, and just not be very good/durable to give a shit anymore. If he's not gonna return kicks, then he can kick rocks and stay inactive. He's been a bust almost on the level of Billy Price and Ogblowhi. 

I recently went back and watched a video of Ross and DeSean Jackson talking about how they came together before the draft.
One thing Ross said he received as advice from DJax was to not go full speed all the time, save the speed for the second gear when you need it.
I wonder if Ross took this too literally and it has affected how he plays in the NFL compared to how he played in college.

Regardless, he hasn't produced as people thought he would (especially me).
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2020, 11:12 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I recently went back and watched a video of Ross and DeSean Jackson talking about how they came together before the draft.
One thing Ross said he received as advice from DJax was to not go full speed all the time, save the speed for the second gear when you need it.
I wonder if Ross took this too literally and it has affected how he plays in the NFL compared to how he played in college.

Regardless, he hasn't produced as people thought he would (especially me).

You think that for the last 4 years of sustained failure and underperformance, John Ross as been 'Holding back' his true abilities all along, because of a conversation he had with Desean Jackson before the 2017 draft. 
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2020, 11:36 AM)Wire22Wire Wrote: You think that for the last 4 years of sustained failure and underperformance, John Ross as been 'Holding back' his true abilities all along, because of a conversation he had with Desean Jackson before the 2017 draft. 

Not the only factor, no.
But I think it could have contributed (or still does if he has this mindset).
Also, he didn't just "have a conversation" with DJax, DJax and he became close. He trained a lot with DJax leading up to the draft. DJax essentially became a coach.

He also suffers from a lack of being able to consistently catch the ball. I went back and watched his college tape and he basket catches a lot of his passes.

He's also suffered from being able to remain healthy.

Last, which is something we've heard, there's some mental he's dealing with. Not sure whether it's lack of confidence, fear of getting hurt again, trouble grasping the playbook, thinking too much about what he's doing (or going to do after the catch), or what.

Maybe he just has no interest in being in Cincinnati and is already thinking/hoping where he might go after this season.

All I'm saying is the player I remember analyzing in college is a very different player that I see now in his 4th year in the NFL. He doesn't play the same way. And it's not just because of his level of competition.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2020, 11:47 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Not the only factor, no.
But I think it could have contributed (or still does if he has this mindset).
Also, he didn't just "have a conversation" with DJax, DJax and he became close. He trained a lot with DJax leading up to the draft. DJax essentially became a coach.

He also suffers from a lack of being able to consistently catch the ball. I went back and watched his college tape and he basket catches a lot of his passes.

He's also suffered from being able to remain healthy.

Last, which is something we've heard, there's some mental he's dealing with. Not sure whether it's lack of confidence, fear of getting hurt again, trouble grasping the playbook, thinking too much about what he's doing (or going to do after the catch), or what.

Maybe he just has no interest in being in Cincinnati and is already thinking/hoping where he might go after this season.

All I'm saying is the player I remember analyzing in college is a very different player that I see now in his 4th year in the NFL. He doesn't play the same way. And it's not just because of his level of competition.

I mean this respectfully, you are grasping and are overcomplicating a very simple situation. 

John Ross isn't that good.  He had one skill that let him see Collegiate Success in the Pac 12 - speed. 

It dosent work standalone in the NFL.  He is a sub par route runner, sub par hands, Sub par awareness and playbook understanding.

He's just a shi.tty, fast NFL WR.  There are tons of them. 
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2020, 11:58 AM)Wire22Wire Wrote: I mean this respectfully, you are grasping and are overcomplicating a very simple situation. 

John Ross isn't that good.  He had one skill that let him see Collegiate Success in the Pac 12 - speed. 

It dosent work standalone in the NFL.  He is a sub par route runner, sub par hands, Sub par awareness and playbook understanding.

He might be. If he does nothing else with the Bengals, we'll see with another team starting next year.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2020, 11:58 AM)Wire22Wire Wrote: I mean this respectfully, you are grasping and are overcomplicating a very simple situation. 

He is, but it’s mostly due to the worst consistency I’ve maybe ever seen from a WR. I mean the guy scored 10 TD’s he’s obviously talented, but he just can’t get right between the ears.

Reply/Quote
3rd most accurate QB in NFL in intermediate passes. Number 1 and 2 Russel Wilson, Aaron Rodgers
Reply/Quote
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2020, 04:58 PM)Synric Wrote:

Awesome, kind of surprised about Goff, but he does have a great O-line and a lot of help.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2020, 05:45 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Awesome, kind of surprised about Goff, but he does have a great O-line and a lot of help.

Goff is underrated. When he’s on he’s a top QB. Granted they have played NYG and Philly 2 out of their 4 games, but still. Accuracy is accuracy.

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2020, 05:51 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Goff is underrated. When he’s on he’s a top QB. Granted they have played NYG and Philly 2 out of their 4 games, but still. Accuracy is accuracy.

Probably right, I just always think about the Superbowl with Goff but that can happen to about any QB playing Billy B.
Reply/Quote