Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joe Burrow ranks dead last...
On intended air yards per pass attempt. Basically, how far we are throwing the ball down the field per attempt. I'm not sure what this means to be honest, but I found it shocking Burrow was ranked dead last in the league.

I think QB maturity comes into play a lot here (not forcing throws, checking down to the flat and taking what the defense gives you), but man...you'd like to see us attempt to throw the ball down field more, right? I just found it ineresting.

[Image: J5l87MG.png]
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
For reference Burrow was 27th last year, then in 2020 and 2021 he was top 10.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2024, 06:49 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: For reference Burrow was 27th last year, then in 2020 and 2021 he was top 10.

As they've gone full bore into this shotgun, min protect offense, I think they've incorporated a lot of run/pass option plays with a WR screen as one of the primary options if Burrow doesn't hand it off. This year especially I've noticed him taking that swing or screen pass fairly quickly on those RPOs. That may be negatively affecting his average depth of target statistics.

In this year in particular, I think playing through his injury played a huge role, as he was not mobile enough for some of the longer developing plays, so they had to rely on short stuff more often.
Reply/Quote
Half his games this year was trying to protect and play. Which is stupid looking back on it.

Also the O-Line like always was trash... can't throw it down the field when you are a statue
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2024, 06:42 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: On intended air yards per pass attempt. Basically, how far we are throwing the ball down the field per attempt. I'm not sure what this means to be honest, but I found it shocking Burrow was ranked dead last in the league.

I think QB maturity comes into play a lot here (not forcing throws, checking down to the flat and taking what the defense gives you), but man...you'd like to see us attempt to throw the ball down field more, right? I just found it ineresting.

[Image: J5l87MG.png]

If it wasn’t a total outlier it’d be more relevant. This season in itself an outlier
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Well those bottom 3 are pretty good QBs
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Chase Average Depth of Target
2021: 12.6 yards
2022: 9.0 yards
2023: 8.8 yards

Chase Yards Before Catch per Reception
2021: 9.9
2022: 7.0
2023: 7.1

Chase would rule the NFL with a good OC that didn't just let defenses dictate what the offense is allowed to do.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2024, 08:07 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Half his games this year was trying to protect and play.  Which is stupid looking back on it.

Also the O-Line like always was trash... can't throw it down the field when you are a statue

Yep. And Chase slaughtered the NFL as a rookie, then the league said ''Double team that guy on almost every play'' for the last two seasons. You have to get the ball into the hands of your playmaker somehow.

Yards per target for Chase for his first three seasons
11.4 - highest ever for any Bengal with over 15 targets in a season
------
9.2 career average

As a comparison . . .
Chad Johnson career high of 9.2 in 2005
8.0 career average as a Bengal
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
He couldn’t push off his leg for four weeks.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
I love the guy, but, his injury history, each and every season, is an issue. Like it or not, he is our QB for years to come thanks to his contract. If, and I mean if, he can come back from a major injury in his throwing hand, the future is promising. We will see.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2024, 09:32 PM)Chezaugie Wrote: I love the guy, but, his injury history, each and every season, is an issue. Like it or not, he is our QB for years to come thanks to his contract. If, and I mean if, he can come back from a major injury in his throwing hand, the future is promising. We will see.

I know I will get roasted by all of the Burrow homer fans who believe he is the Second Coming. At this point, I just don't see it. I hope he proves me wrong.

I think everyone would agree that keeping Burrow healthy is priority #1 at all times. That’s why they need to continue to improve the O line until it’s not just OK/serviceable but great.

He has had his fair share of injuries but if he can stay healthy they will be contenders again.
Reply/Quote
I'm not too surprised. Last year Burrow took a lot of check downs because of the cover 2 defenses other teams started playing. This year, we saw so many screens and quick passes because of the calf injury. I would like to see some of the 2020/21 deep passes to come back. Just at least attempt to get some PI calls.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2024, 10:05 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: I think everyone would agree that keeping Burrow healthy is priority #1 at all times. That’s why they need to continue to improve the O line until it’s not just OK/serviceable but great.

He has had his fair share of injuries but if he can stay healthy they will be contenders again.

Hopefully next year if Burrow is wearing a calf sleeve in training camp, they have some common sense and don't have him practice running rollouts.

Also the OL needs to play in preseason games together. 41 sacks in the 10 games to start the season in Zac's 5 years.

Can't keep going 0-2 to start seasons.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2024, 12:13 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Hopefully next year if Burrow is wearing a calf sleeve in training camp, they have some common sense and don't have him practice running rollouts.

Also the OL needs to play in preseason games together. 41 sacks in the 10 games to start the season in Zac's 5 years.

Multiple teams have stated that they're going to re-evaluate playing some starters in the preseason to try and avoid slow starts. I'm really wondering if Zac will be one of those guys.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2024, 12:13 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Hopefully next year if Burrow is wearing a calf sleeve in training camp, they have some common sense and don't have him practice running rollouts.

4real? It's practice, players wear all kind of compression devices. I hope dude really isn't that fragile. 

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2024, 12:18 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Multiple teams have stated that they're going to re-evaluate playing some starters in the preseason to try and avoid slow starts. I'm really wondering if Zac will be one of those guys.

Perhaps the issue is preseason getting too "relaxed". I remember when they went to camp and did 2 a days while locked in. 

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2024, 12:57 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Perhaps the issue is preseason getting too "relaxed". I remember when they went to camp and did 2 a days while locked in. 

The new CBA plays a role in the relaxed atmosphere. They can only do so much. I know Zac prefers to not go hard in camp because he believes it helps players stay fresher in the latter point of the season.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2024, 08:31 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well those bottom 3 are pretty good QBs

Right?  He is within .2 yards of the best QB in the league.  Between Joe's poor health and Mahomes poor receivers they both are probably not very pleased. 

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2024, 09:32 PM)Chezaugie Wrote: I love the guy, but, his injury history, each and every season, is an issue. Like it or not, he is our QB for years to come thanks to his contract. If, and I mean if, he can come back from a major injury in his throwing hand, the future is promising. We will see.

I know I will get roasted by all of the Burrow homer fans who believe he is the Second Coming. At this point, I just don't see it. I hope he proves me wrong.

I dont think anyone has to be a homer to realize that when healthy Burrow is the 2nd best QB in the NFL.  His injuries and missed time is mind numbingly frustrating, but28 teams would trade their QB with us.

"Like it or not, he is our QB for years to come thanks to his contract."  The only people who would not like it should be reserved to KC, Buffalo, and other AFCN fans.  There may be some mentally challenged Bengals fan that doesnt like Burrow but that person should probably pick a different sport to analyze. 

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2024, 10:05 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: I think everyone would agree that keeping Burrow healthy is priority #1 at all times. That’s why they need to continue to improve the O line until it’s not just OK/serviceable but great.

But he had a non contact injury (is it only prevented with not using their crappy turf?) and the hand injury seemed to be a fluke as well, although it was caused by a sack so I agree with that point lol.

I do remember when Browning checked in he was chucking it down the field and I was like what is this about, why wasn't Burrow doing that lol. I think Burrow mentioned he's still figuring out when to play it safe and when to not, he seems like he was actively trying to play it safe this year (with the ball) and maybe that was due to injury guarding or having inside knowledge of how our defense is not that good....lol.

I think if he played like allen (a ton of TDs and a ton of INTs) I would probably feel the same way I feel as allen, unpredictable and untrustworthy.

The teams that play Burrow more (AFC-N) are defending him better, but the teams in the AFC-N other than us also defend every team well. We don't belong in this division lol
Reply/Quote