Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Joe Burrow's Arm Strength Analysis
This is a great breakdown of all the former and current top QB's in the NFL. It is a good read and analysis. In summary, Burrow is compared to the all time great Joe Montana, Tua is compared to 40 Year Old Brees's arm with 37 year old Vicks legs (ha), Love is similar to J. Allen, and Herbert to Derek Anderson.

Tua has the quickest release but Burrow makes the quickest decisions ever measured to lock on target and throw.

[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
That’s a fantastic analysis
[Image: giphy.gif]

Reply/Quote
There was another thread that had the wonderlic scores of various QBs including Bureau, and it didn't appear that Wonderlic predicted success in the NFL very well. I wondered if there wasn't a way to measure the ability to process information quickly as a better measure for QBs especially. I think this guy's on to something.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2020, 05:43 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: This is a great breakdown of all the former and current top QB's in the NFL.  It is a good read and analysis.  In summary, Burrow is compared to the all time great Joe Montana, Tua is compared to 40 Year Old Brees's arm with 37 year old Vicks legs (ha), Love is similar to J. Allen, and Herbert to Derek Anderson.  

Tua has the quickest release but Burrow makes the quickest decisions ever measured to lock on target and throw.  

Good stuff, PMD.  I find if hard to quantify the trigger time, as the evaluator may not realize that Burrow (as in the example provided) could have already made up his mind where he was going, and manipulated the DB with his eyes (and even a mini pump-fake) and then came back to his earlier read.  Still, it shows his creativity and ability to manipulate the defense.  

The biggest thing I think about with all these crazy metics is how Tom Brady will never be at the top of any list.  What makes him so special?  Some will say they cheat and he has a great team around him, but it is largely his mental understanding of the game and his near-flawless execution.  That is what makes me so excited about Burrow.  When he repeatedly says "I'm all about ball", he isn't lying.  The guy is a study fanatic with an incredible ability to process and "see the entire field" while maneuvering around the pocket.  

I, for one, am very excited as we haven't had a REALLY mobile QB since Jeff Blake.  And I think there is nothing more frustrating for a defense that can stop a team on first and second down only to have a QB scramble for 8 yards and move the sticks on 3rd and long.  That doesn't mean I want him running and taking hits, but his ability to scramble and avoid a big hit with a slide or out of bounds run is a huge asset.  
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2020, 10:45 AM)SladeX Wrote: There was another thread that had the wonderlic scores of various QBs including Bureau, and it didn't appear that Wonderlic predicted success in the NFL very well. I wondered if there wasn't a  way to measure the ability to process information quickly as a better measure for QBs especially.  I think this guy's on to something.

All in all, I'd still prefer the guy with the high score.  Never really heard of being smart and mentally quick considered a negative.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2020, 10:45 AM)SladeX Wrote: There was another thread that had the wonderlic scores of various QBs including Bureau, and it didn't appear that Wonderlic predicted success in the NFL very well. I wondered if there wasn't a  way to measure the ability to process information quickly as a better measure for QBs especially.  I think this guy's on to something.

There is nothing that will predict NFL success, in and of itself.

The Wonderlic is just as good of an indicator as a 40 yard dash.  In and of itself, you gain zero insight into the chances of a player succeeding.  But all of the various testing helps to paint an aggregate picture that can help to get a better feel for the chance of success in the NFL of a player being placed in their ideal environment.
Reply/Quote
I guess I’m the only one that link is not working for?

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2020, 12:29 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I guess I’m the only one that link is not working for?

Try it here... https://medium.com/@thetim_dix/nfl-draft-how-strong-is-joe-burrows-arm-b69abd897399
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2020, 09:50 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Try it here... https://medium.com/@thetim_dix/nfl-draft-how-strong-is-joe-burrows-arm-b69abd897399

That worked. Thanks Doc.

Reply/Quote
I'd like his velocity to be higher but Burrow can hit guys in stride on the sidelines without tossing it out of bounds. Dalton always had issues with that.

I think arm strength can be built on anyway.

All I know is I see Burrow going through progressions and being fast and accurate. Dalton was always looking one way and throwing one way or immediate check down. Never went through progressions to see who was open
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2020, 12:15 AM)Kingslayer Wrote: I'd like his velocity to be higher but Burrow can hit guys in stride on the sidelines without tossing it out of bounds.   Dalton always had issues with that.  

I think arm strength can be built on anyway.  

All I know is I see Burrow going through progressions and being fast and accurate.  Dalton was always looking one way and throwing one way or immediate check down.  Never went through progressions to see who was open

True, the thing about Burrow is when he runs it is planned.

You just cannot fluster him, Andy was flustered very easily.

Thanks Psych for the vid brother.
Reply/Quote
Andy was solid in the red zone but man did he have issues hitting guys in stride consistantly.
He was not the best east west thrower
Reply/Quote
Great find and read!
Rep
Reply/Quote
I think after this pandemic eases and things start returning to some semblance of order. Some visits to Tom House could add some strength to Burrow's arm just through mechanics and footwork...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
If this doesn't make you want the football season to get started, you don't have a pulse...or at the very least you sure as hell aren't a Bengals fan.
Reply/Quote
Arm strength is overrated. We literally have GOAT QB's than we can look to validate that.

Burrow can read a defense and will make a poor OL look better due to his instincts and ability to get out of the pocket and make plays.

This dude is a slam dunk NFL starter worst case for you debbie downers is he is Andy Dalton 2.0 However many of us believe he has top 3 QB in the league upside and if thats the case we will get our first playoff win in 20+ years.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2020, 08:25 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Andy was solid in the red zone but man did he have issues hitting guys in stride consistantly.
He was not the best east west thrower
He got Gio train wrecked more than once.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
This was a fantastic read, thank you
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
Nice thread. Looking forward to watching Burrow play in stripes.

Reply/Quote
The whole mental processing part of things varies from second to second. Ask anyone with a sparkling driving record how they managed to go blank and let someone slam into their door on a quiet residential street. Hey, it happens. We've all been there when things that were always easy suddenly go to crap.
Folks love to use pitching alalogies to compare QBs, but it'll never tell you how a guy who has pitched great all season long will suddenly and for absolutely no reason go and walk 3 batters then give up the gopher ball and from then on they're nothing more than a team liability. Apparently the same happens to kickers .. I think a lot of this is a hope and a prayer and sometimes ya catch lightning in a bottle and sometimes you don't. Some of the smartest people I've known couldn't pour piss out of a boot with directions stamped on the heel, but man, they can count money like nobodies uncle.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote