Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joe Burrow's High School Scouting Report
I was googling around Joe Burrow's highlights and articles, and I found an ESPN recruiting page for him.

http://insider.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/evaluation/_/id/187109/joe-burrow

Since it is now 5 years old, I don't think I need to feel bad about copying and pasting "insider" information, so this is what the scouting report said:

[Image: B5A69wJ.png]

I like this because it basically verifies that he is the player he was projected to be.
You can see that in quotes such as:
Quote:Is still developing in this area. He so athletic and moves quite a bit within the pocket and he isn't always balanced and set to accurately deliver the ball on a consistent basis. Does a really nice job of changing ball speeds and can drop the ball in over the top of coverage. Must do a better job of consistently hitting the strikes zone when leading wide receivers to ease the transition upfield. This is all a matter of feet. Areas of his game that lead to inaccuracy are coachable.

He was always a creator on the run with the ability to change ball speed and angles (also called "touch") to drop the ball into the void of coverage. As it says, his inaccuracies are coachable...which is obviously true as we saw with Joe Brady.

Another interesting bit:
Quote:Possesses a strong, live arm. He can be a bit erratic at times and methods are slightly tense, but he can drive the ball with authority and has power behind his throws.

Now, I get that having a strong arm for college is different than having a strong arm for the NFL. But they didn't seem to have any concerns about his arm strength in 2015. Makes me think maybe this "weak arm" critique is just looking for a problem when there is none. I know I haven't seen a weak arm when I watch him play, so it's always been odd when I see that criticism of him.

From his mental make up to his bottom line, they keep repeating how well he does when the play breaks down or as a runner.

I am very confident that his past year wasn't fool's gold or some one year wonder aberration. Based on his high school scouting profile, this is the player he's been his entire career. He just honed those skills in an NFL style offense at LSU.

In case you were curious when people say he came out of nowhere, he was the 298th ranked player out of high school that year, with a grade of 80 overall. Sam Darnold had a rating of 83...so it's not like he was some nobody coming into college either. Was the 8th overall ranked player coming out of Ohio too (#1 QB).
Reply/Quote
His game looks a lot like the type Rodgers and Brees have. Great when protection breaks down, eyes always downfield.
Reply/Quote
Basically, Ohio State's stupidity is not Joe Burrow's fault.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-29-2020, 01:21 PM)McC Wrote: Basically, Ohio State's stupidity is not Joe Burrow's fault.

this is simply untrue.  He just wasn't at the right place or right time.  Things happened as they should have and the biggest turn in his success was a 5th year where he had 2 internet classes and could concentrate on football 24/7

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2020, 01:21 PM)McC Wrote: Basically, Ohio State's stupidity is not Joe Burrow's fault.

Burrow was ahead of Haskins until he got hurt.  Then Haskins took over and never looked back.

I do think if Ryan Day had been the head coach a couple of years earlier Burrow would have taken the job from Barrett, but Meyer loved JT and he was the guy as long as he was able.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2020, 06:55 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I was googling around Joe Burrow's highlights and articles, and I found an ESPN recruiting page for him.

http://insider.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/evaluation/_/id/187109/joe-burrow

Since it is now 5 years old, I don't think I need to feel bad about copying and pasting "insider" information, so this is what the scouting report said:

[Image: B5A69wJ.png]

I like this because it basically verifies that he is the player he was projected to be.
You can see that in quotes such as:

He was always a creator on the run with the ability to change ball speed and angles (also called "touch") to drop the ball into the void of coverage. As it says, his inaccuracies are coachable...which is obviously true as we saw with Joe Brady.

Another interesting bit:

Now, I get that having a strong arm for college is different than having a strong arm for the NFL. But they didn't seem to have any concerns about his arm strength in 2015. Makes me think maybe this "weak arm" critique is just looking for a problem when there is none. I know I haven't seen a weak arm when I watch him play, so it's always been odd when I see that criticism of him.

From his mental make up to his bottom line, they keep repeating how well he does when the play breaks down or as a runner.

I am very confident that his past year wasn't fool's gold or some one year wonder aberration. Based on his high school scouting profile, this is the player he's been his entire career. He just honed those skills in an NFL style offense at LSU.

In case you were curious when people say he came out of nowhere, he was the 298th ranked player out of high school that year, with a grade of 80 overall. Sam Darnold had a rating of 83...so it's not like he was some nobody coming into college either. Was the 8th overall ranked player coming out of Ohio too (#1 QB).

Thanks CJD, great stuff, what is so nice is how he grew with his accuracy and the way he can just take a picture of a Defense
before the snap. I think some say he has a weaker arm cause he just doesn't overthrow his WR's. He always gives them a chance
and if the Corner or Safety isn't looking they are at a disadvantage. He will back shoulder throw it and let his WR, TE or RB make 
the play. Burrow is beyond his years in his intelligence. Was watching Tom Brady yesterday in the Falcons Superbowl and he was 
making a lot of bonehead throws in that first half. I was like, man, Burrow didn't do that playing Clemson, the best D in the land.

So much to like about Burrow it is crazy. Guy can do it all and make his Line look good when they are just not that great.

I like Cushenberry and Lewis but that O-line is just not that good of an OL. I see Burrow getting hit early often.

Dude is tough as nails.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2020, 09:32 PM)Okeana Wrote: this is simply untrue.  He just wasn't at the right place or right time.  Things happened as they should have and the biggest turn in his success was a 5th year where he had 2 internet classes and could concentrate on football 24/7

I get so tired of the argument that I hear (mainly from Jpoore) that Burrow couldn't beat out JT Barrett.  The reality is that no coach is going to bench his Junior/Senior Heisman candidate when the team is in the middle of the playoff run.

I have no doubt he would have beaten out Haskins (and it sounds like the staff and players thought the same) eventually.

It is what it is and I'm glad Burrow hooked up wth a program in the SEC and got exposed to a legitimate NFL style offense.  
Reply/Quote