Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joe Burrow weekly Ranking Cancelled
I started after week 6 posting a weekly thread of Joe Burrow stats. I believed he would progress and thus far I am 100% correct.

But, it appears little to no interest of following his progress by the numbers so just wanted to let the few who may be looking for it I will no longer take the time to do it.

Like I said, Burrow continues to show he was the right pick and I think will only get better each week and year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Burrow's stats through the first 8 games in his career, with no preseason:

221/320 (67%) for 2272 yards, 11 TDs and 5 INTs.

This, despite facing what was at the time the #1 defense in the NFL (Indy), the Chargers, Browns (twice), Baltimore, Tennessee, Philly, and Jax.

And the best part is, the trajectory is still pointing up.  The plays he made with a 30 MPH wind at PBS on Sunday were simply incredible.  If JJoe doesn't commit PI in the end zone, he has another 35 yards and an additional TD.  pittsburg will be the real test.  They have the best defense in the NFL right now, and they will likely not be stopped often by the defense so he will be playing from behind.   Couldn't be much tougher a task.

I don't give them much of a chance to win, but because it is Joe Burrow, they have a chance.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2020, 11:10 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: And the best part is, the trajectory is still pointing up. 

He will still have some more rough games this rookie season, but his progress is like the stock market.  It may go up and down from week to week, but over the long run it is just going up.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2020, 11:10 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Burrow's stats through the first 8 games in his career, with no preseason:

221/220 (67%) for 2272 yards, 11 TDs and 5 INTs.

This, despite facing what was at the time the #1 defense in the NFL (Indy), the Chargers, Browns (twice), Baltimore, Tennessee, Philly, and Jax.

And the best part is, the trajectory is still pointing up. The plays he made with a 30 MPH wind at PBS on Sunday were simply incredible. If JJoe doesn't commit PI in the end zone, he has another 35 yards and an additional TD. pittsburg will be the real test. They have the best defense in the NFL right now, and they will likely not be stopped often by the defense so he will be playing from behind. Couldn't be much tougher a task.

I don't give them much of a chance to win, but because it is Joe Burrow, they have a chance.

I‘m seeing a little over 100% completion rate. That’s HoF right there.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
I think perhaps the most impressive statistic of his is an often overlooked one, completion percentage.

Obviously yards and TD's are incredibly important numbers, I'm not saying they're not. But that is a strong percentage for a rookie, especially considering his lack of time to throw throughout most of the season.

If you look at most QB's, you'll see their completion % slowly creep up early in their career. Here is a list of examples, starting in year 1, followed by year 2, and career average:

Peyton Manning - 56.7, 62.1, 66.3
Drew Brees - 55.6, 60.8, 67.7
Andrew Luck - 54.1, 60.2, 60.8

Most QB's struggle to see the field early in their career, or the game is simply to fast, and as a result their completion % suffers. They either rush throws, or they don't go through all of the reads. When the game starts to slow down a bit for them their completion % goes up.

Rarely do QB's regress in this department. As they age these numbers either improve or flatten out.

Like I said, 67% is extremely healthy. Give him more time to throw, more experience, and better seperation from his receivers, and thsi can only get better.

Couple this with the lack of INT's, and it's even a better indicator of success. He's not forcing the ball a great deal, nor is making a ton of bonehead errors.

What you're left with is a high % and low turnover rate. What this usally spells is a QB that can completely dissect a defense. Look no further than Drew Brees. Arm is shot, and he's over the age of 40. Yet he's been throwing up 5 straight 70%+ with sub 10 INT's and just methodically dismantling defenses. You add a better arm to that, a more mobile QB, and you've got a super weapon.

This kid has been outstanding thus far. I'm not going to go nuts and say he's the next Joe Montana or anything like that. We'll have to see where his ceiling is. But he's billed as advertised. We could not realistically expect any better than what we're getting right now.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2020, 11:31 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I‘m seeing a little over 100% completion rate. That’s HoF right there.

Haha, sorry, fixed it...
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2020, 11:10 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Burrow's stats through the first 8 games in his career, with no preseason:

And the best part is, the trajectory is still pointing up.  The plays he made with a 30 MPH wind at PBS on Sunday were simply incredible.  If JJoe doesn't commit PI in the end zone, he has another 35 yards and an additional TD.  pittsburg will be the real test.  They have the best defense in the NFL right now, and they will likely not be stopped often by the defense so he will be playing from behind.   Couldn't be much tougher a task.

Pittsburgh offense isnt that good. Tennessee held them to 3 in the 2and half and Lamar 4 turnovers and still almost one and should of. Minka Fitz. 100% interfered on that last pass into the endzone..
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2020, 11:03 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote:  thus far I am 100% correct.

Don't injury yourself patting your own back for making the easiest prediction of the year.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2020, 04:34 PM)Tony Wrote: Pittsburgh offense isnt that good. Tennessee held them to 3 in the 2and half and Lamar 4 turnovers and still almost one and should of. Minka Fitz. 100% interfered on that last pass into the endzone..

It wasn't PI, as both players have a right for the ball.  I hear what you are saying, but even Jacksonville put up points on this defense.  They're coming off their best overall effort, so that is a good trend, but it will be a huge challenge.  
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2020, 05:14 PM)motoarch Wrote: Don't injury yourself patting your own back for making the easiest prediction of the year.

My goal was not to pat myself on the back, my goal was to show Joe's progression. This forum from time tends to get negative over a bad play or bad week. I am hoping with Joe we all look at long term progress knowing as Fred said he will hits some bumpy road also.

Is it me or is there a high asshole alert out in this thread (just a couple), but small sample size.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2020, 11:03 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I started after week 6 posting a weekly thread of Joe Burrow stats. I believed he would progress and thus far I am 100% correct.

But, it appears little to no interest of following his progress by the numbers so just wanted to let the few who may be looking for it I will no longer take the time to do it.

Like I said, Burrow continues to show he was the right pick and I think will only get better each week and year.

I am lurker and not a poster but I enjoyed it. Thanks for putting in the effort that you did.
Reply/Quote
I wish we were seeing the same type of growth with Drew Sample.
Holy cow, he's been inconsistent as a pass catcher.

3 weeks of 40+ yards.
4 weeks of 0-7 yards with just 0 or 1 reception in those games.

Dude's on pace for only 348 yards.

I was really expecting more consistency/production as a receiving threat from a 2nd round TE midway through his 2nd season.

He's catching most of his targets, but there are games he's hardly targeted.
I don't know if it's because of not getting open in those games or his usage.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-03-2020, 07:15 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I wish we were seeing the same type of growth with Drew Sample.

3 weeks of 40+ yards.

I was really expecting more consistency/production as a receiving threat from a 2nd round TE midway through his 2nd season.

Hey, there's great growth from last year, so it's a start.

He'll most-likely get more than 348 yards, I feel.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2020, 07:15 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I wish we were seeing the same type of growth with Drew Sample.

3 weeks of 40+ yards.

I wish we could really know what happened behind the scenes on draft day when we selected Sample lol maybe they had the names mixed up or something because I’m not seeing a second round pick out there. He look awfully slow and stiff along with little production receiving at Washington ijs?
Reply/Quote

3 weeks of 40+ yards.

I wouldn't read too much in to it.

Burrow is good at spreading it around.

As long as he does his job when he's called on that's all we should really care about.  And he's been pretty solid when called on.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2020, 07:15 PM)ochocincos Wrote: 3 weeks of 40+ yards.

What's crazy is, even his "good weeks" are average at best.  And that's a generous description.  45 yards and zero TD's is a pretty low bar for a TE.

Now, that said, they really don't go out of their way to get him involved.  I don't think he's running many routes most successful tight ends get to run.  So who knows what it would like in a more TE friendly offense.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2020, 08:03 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: He'll most-likely get more than 348 yards, I feel.

With expert analysis like this it's hard to disagree.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2020, 08:18 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: With expert analysis like this it's hard to disagree.

We'll see.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote

Thanks broth. With Burrow we should always have a chance, that is how good he is.

He will learn, he will not make the same mistakes twice or often. He studies up on opponents and learns them.

He has great pocket awareness and is learning how not to take the big hits.

These are the big things to me, not even mentioning his record breaking stats. He learns and does the little things to help win games.

Give him time, we can beat Pitt. Just need to stop the run on Offense and don't allow too many big plays for TD's.

I feel the same, picking Pitt to win, but it is not impossible that we pull one out with what our new QB can do.

Just hope he can get his TD's up so he can break Mayfield's rookie TD record. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2020, 11:47 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I think perhaps the most impressive statistic of his is an often overlooked one, completion percentage.

Obviously yards and TD's are incredibly important numbers, I'm not saying they're not. But that is a strong percentage for a rookie, especially considering his lack of time to throw throughout most of the season.

If you look at most QB's, you'll see their completion % slowly creep up early in their career. Here is a list of examples, starting in year 1, followed by year 2, and career average:

Peyton Manning - 56.7, 62.1, 66.3
Drew Brees - 55.6, 60.8, 67.7
Andrew Luck - 54.1, 60.2, 60.8

Most QB's struggle to see the field early in their career, or the game is simply to fast, and as a result their completion % suffers. They either rush throws, or they don't go through all of the reads. When the game starts to slow down a bit for them their completion % goes up.

Rarely do QB's regress in this department. As they age these numbers either improve or flatten out.

Like I said, 67% is extremely healthy. Give him more time to throw, more experience, and better seperation from his receivers, and thsi can only get better.

Couple this with the lack of INT's, and it's even a better indicator of success. He's not forcing the ball a great deal, nor is making a ton of bonehead errors.

What you're left with is a high % and low turnover rate. What this usally spells is a QB that can completely dissect a defense. Look no further than Drew Brees. Arm is shot, and he's over the age of 40. Yet he's been throwing up 5 straight 70%+ with sub 10 INT's and just methodically dismantling defenses. You add a better arm to that, a more mobile QB, and you've got a super weapon.

This kid has been outstanding thus far. I'm not going to go nuts and say he's the next Joe Montana or anything like that. We'll have to see where his ceiling is. But he's billed as advertised. We could not realistically expect any better than what we're getting right now.

Yeah that is an incredible completion percentage. Got a shot at 70%.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote