Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Joe Burrow weekly Rankings
(10-21-2020, 06:59 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I think Burrow was rated 1st or close to 1st in completes percentage for passes under 19 yards.

Here are some other interesting stats:

Burrow has nearly 72% completion rate when the Bengals are behind by 9-16 points.  This completion rates drops to nearly 61% when the team is ahead by 9-16 points.    

Burrow has 70% completion rate on attempts between 11-20 with a QBR of nearly 100%.  On all other attempts i.e., 21-30, 1-10 etc, his completion rate drops to approximately 63% with QBR of 84% or lower.

This stats look like they fall in the intangible category

Interesting stats
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2020, 06:59 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I think Burrow was rated 1st or close to 1st in completes percentage for passes under 19 yards.

Burrow has nearly 72% completion rate when the Bengals are behind by 9-16 points.  This completion rates drops to nearly 61% when the team is ahead by 9-16 points.    

Burrow has 70% completion rate on attempts between 11-20 with a QBR of nearly 100%.  On all other attempts i.e., 21-30, 1-10 etc, his completion rate drops to approximately 63% with QBR of 84% or lower.

Interesting stuff Psych.Hmm
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2020, 10:45 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: This stats look like they fall in the intangible category

Interesting stats

(10-22-2020, 01:47 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Interesting stuff Psych.Hmm

I am not certain but I believe Burrow is one of the best QB  at completing throws 20 yards or less.  This as a rookie, with no OTA, no preseason, no consistent contact with players prior to practices.  

Also, the additional stats suggest to me at least, that play calling must be effective his production unless they are behind.  There are so many variables of course like WR dropping deep passes, dropping TDs and such, but I would like to see how Mixon's production correlates with this data.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(10-22-2020, 02:59 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I am not certain but I believe Burrow is one of the best QB  at completing throws 20 yards or less.  This as a rookie, with no OTA, no preseason, no consistent contact with players prior to practices.  

Also, the additional stats suggest to me at least, that play calling must be effective his production unless they are behind.  There are so many variables of course like WR dropping deep passes, dropping TDs and such, but I would like to see how Mixon's production correlates with this data.  

Burrow is as good as I have ever seen with his accuracy over the middle and with short passes. He has been missing the deep 
passes but they will come as we saw with that beauty to Tee against the Colts. Burrow just doesn't get much time and has to 
throw off his back foot a lot of the time which would inhibit any QB's deep ball accuracy.

I bet Mixon is one of the top RB's in YAC but I could be wrong with how many times he gets hit in the backfield lol

All of this comes down to the OL in the end, if they block better both players will produce better.
Reply/Quote

Burrow has nearly 72% completion rate when the Bengals are behind by 9-16 points. This completion rates drops to nearly 61% when the team is ahead by 9-16 points.

Burrow has 70% completion rate on attempts between 11-20 with a QBR of nearly 100%. On all other attempts i.e., 21-30, 1-10 etc, his completion rate drops to approximately 63% with QBR of 84% or lower.

I find it hard to put too much trust in a statistic about when the Bengals are ahead by 9-16 points. That's got to be a tiny sample size, particularly as teams tend to try and run more with a lead.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2020, 05:52 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: An average QB when Ken Anderson was drafted (1971), over 16 games (adj 14 to 16)... completed 50.9% of their passes, threw for 2,491 yards (6.7 YPA), 18 TDs/24 INTs, 62.2 QB Rating.

Many people think that passing numbers have just always gone up over the years, but in the early 70's the passing numbers were actually WORSE than in the 60's and part of the 50's.

Ken Anderson was drafted at the absolute worst time for the passing game in the history of the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2020, 10:36 AM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: I find it hard to put too much trust in a statistic about when the Bengals are ahead by 9-16 points. That's got to be a tiny sample size, particularly as teams tend to try and run more with a lead.

18 total passes (11-18).  So yes, a tiny sample size.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2020, 10:55 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Many people think that passing numbers have just always gone up over the years, but in the early 70's the passing numbers were actually WORSE than in the 60's and part of the 50's.

Ken Anderson was drafted at the absolute worst time for the passing game in the history of the NFL.

Our younger fans probably do not know the rule changes since the Ken Anderson days. DB's could maul receivers all the way down field until the ball was throw, I remember guys like Mel Blount being physically dominating, he was awesome and in the hall of fame and would have been great in any era, but maybe not HOF great.

I remember pass rushers could head slap OL knocking them silly on way to the QB.
I remember the pass rusher could throw a QB on his head, it happened to Anderson on many occasions.
I remember a lot more injuries to QB's, most were pocket passers and no such thing as an illegal hot on a QB.
A QB could not just throw the ball away in or out of the pocket, had to be a receiver in the area. Now, a QB can just chuck it 20 yards above a receiver's head in or out of the pocket as long as it gets past the LOS. 

Of course last few years the advantage changed for receivers, DB's literally can not tee up receivers like they did in the Jack Tatum days. Safeties and LB's waited for a receiver to come across the middle with the goal to decapitate them, not just tackle them

Yes, in today's game the passing game has huge advantages over the old days. I am sure I have missed some others.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2020, 06:16 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Yes, in today's game the passing game has huge advantages over the old days. I am sure I have missed some others.

The schemes have changed a lot aloso.  RBs still caught a lot of passes in the early 70's but almost all of the routes for WRs and even TEs were deeper down the field.

In 1972 seven of the top 20 in receiving yards averaged more than 18 per catch (4 averaged more than 20). Over the last five seasons combined only two receivers have finished in the top 20 in yards and averaged as many as 18 per catch. 
Reply/Quote