Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joe Burrow
(04-26-2020, 05:59 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Lots of conservative are behind the quarantine and most are for food banks. Their actual preferred method of taking care of the poor. I admit I only watched two minutes of this non-sensual video and I couldn’t care less what Joe’s politics are. The NFL is like 70% black. The vast majority of black people are Democrats. If you are concerned with who athletes vote for, you’re kind of missing the point of sports.

Honestly, a real conservative would have a hard time siding with Trump, anyway. "Conservative" is a term used to mean Republican these days, which is wrong. Quarantining and food banks are definitely conservative from an ideological viewpoint when looking at the dilemmas. But that is meaningless to anyone not in the political sciences.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(04-27-2020, 12:39 AM)Dill Wrote: That's an interesting prediction. I think it might not happen right away, but over the course of a year or two and only for a portion of the Republican party, maybe not even half.

Still, there will be a voting record for that group and other digital record hard to escape.

But Trump's "base" won't go away and their judgment will not improve.  For a portion of that base, he will remain a distorted touchstone, as Reagan is to the whole Republican party today. The crazy will be forgotten or wrongly imputed to others. And it will be easier to forget because we won't be hearing it every day in news conferences. So there will still be a contingent of Republican pols trying to ape Trump and trade on his name for years to come.

Unless Trump somehow folds and "betrays" his base, they will stick by him and Hannity will maintain and shape his legacy every evening. Remember Hannity, the guy who called everyone who questioned George W. Bush's Iraq fiasco a "traitor" back in 2003, but now thinks it may have been engineered by the "deep state"?  That is the kind of history we'll be getting, and it will keep a significant portion of the base ramped up and voting in bad, obstructive Congressmen for the foreseeable future. Whoever can pull their strings ....
I agree with what you're saying.  I don't think people loyal to Trump will let him getting voted out of office change their opinion of him.  

In fact, I predict that he will still be quite vocal and active on Twitter.  His thoughts and commentary will be here until he either dies, loses all mental faculties (lol), or finally does something so shameful that practically no one wants to identify as a supporter any longer.  The third is practically impossible at this point.  I can't honestly come up with a scenario in my head where he could commit an act that would cause his followers to abandon him.  He could survive killing his wife and kids on national TV.  If he said he liked having sex with children, I think most of them would tolerate it, so long as there wasn't video evidence of an act.  

Presidents historically, at least recently, like to fade into fundraising and public speaking when they leave office.  Some just want to be left the hell alone.  Trump thrives on attention and the adulation of his followers.  He was a celebrity long before he was a politician.  He may leave the office, but he will be part of the political landscape of the US until he's unable.
(04-27-2020, 08:21 PM)samhain Wrote: I agree with what you're saying.  I don't think people loyal to Trump will let him getting voted out of office change their opinion of him.  

In fact, I predict that he will still be quite vocal and active on Twitter.  His thoughts and commentary will be here until he either dies, loses all mental faculties (lol), or finally does something so shameful that practically no one wants to identify as a supporter any longer.  The third is practically impossible at this point.  I can't honestly come up with a scenario in my head where he could commit an act that would cause his followers to abandon him.  He could survive killing his wife and kids on national TV.  If he said he liked having sex with children, I think most of them would tolerate it, so long as there wasn't video evidence of an act.  

Presidents historically, at least recently, like to fade into fundraising and public speaking when they leave office.  Some just want to be left the hell alone.  Trump thrives on attention and the adulation of his followers.  He was a celebrity long before he was a politician.  He may leave the office, but he will be part of the political landscape of the US until he's unable.

He might still appear at political rallies intermittently--at least for a season. But I'm thinking that would create problems since he won't adjust well to being a warm up for someone else.

So long as he is "performing identity" he will not be abandoned. He will be if he stops that, though, and dials back the xenophobia. But why would he? There is no ethical core there, or empathy for others suffering that might lead to reflection or remorse. 

His wife is an immigrant and anchor for chain migration so he could get away with murder there. As for crimes against children, well, video or not, that is "fake news." Dems and the "media mob" will do anything to take down a great American.

He will give press conferences to whomever will listen for the rest of his life, but I repeat--to whomever will listen.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(04-28-2020, 02:50 PM)Dill Wrote: He might still appear at political rallies intermittently--at least for a season. But I'm thinking that would create problems since he won't adjust well to being a warm up for someone else.

So long as he is "performing identity" he will not be abandoned. He will be if he stops that, though, and dials back the xenophobia. But why would he? There is no ethical core there, or empathy for others suffering that might lead to reflection or remorse. 

His wife is an immigrant and anchor for chain migration so he could get away with murder there. As for crimes against children, well, video or not, that is "fake news." Dems and the "media mob" will do anything to take down a great American.

He will give press conferences to whomever will listen for the rest of his life, but I repeat--to whomever will listen.

Everyone loves a circus.
(04-28-2020, 02:50 PM)Dill Wrote: He might still appear at political rallies intermittently--at least for a season. But I'm thinking that would create problems since he won't adjust well to being a warm up for someone else.

I don't doubt this.

I also feel that he will pimp his moronic kids (except Eric, because calling him capable is a a stretch even for DJT) as candidates for the presidency.  Nepotism Barbie probably has the best shot, but I think outside of a protected-by-daddy scenario she'd fold under the pressure.  I don't think a person of her upbringing is ready for what would be unleashed on her.  Don Jr is absolutely dumb and arrogant enough to think it's worth trying.  His supporters would absolutely eat either of those scenarios up.  

An attempt at a Trump dynasty is all but certain.  
(04-28-2020, 06:26 PM)samhain Wrote: I don't doubt this.

I also feel that he will pimp his moronic kids (except Eric, because calling him capable is a a stretch even for DJT) as candidates for the presidency.  Nepotism Barbie probably has the best shot, but I think outside of a protected-by-daddy scenario she'd fold under the pressure.  I don't think a person of her upbringing is ready for what would be unleashed on her.  Don Jr is absolutely dumb and arrogant enough to think it's worth trying.  His supporters would absolutely eat either of those scenarios up.  

An attempt at a Trump dynasty is all but certain.  

Some interesting possibilities. I don't see any of the kids as successful stand ins for Daddy, but explaining why induces more nuanced reflection on Trump's success. They seem all pretty light weight. To replace their father they would really have to violate norms of decency with his gusto. I can't see any of them doing that--especially the handbag designer.  T jr. could be cruel and petty, but not in that loud, hulking way his father is. I can't see him parading sexual assault accusers at a presidential debate--as if it were a pro wrestling match.  The offspring are all deer in the headlights, lacking the serious nasty that attracts those screaming maga hats.
(04-29-2020, 03:10 AM)Dill Wrote: Some interesting possibilities. I don't see any of the kids as successful stand ins for Daddy, but explaining why induces more nuanced reflection on Trump's success. They seem all pretty light weight. To replace their father they would really have to violate norms of decency with his gusto. I can't see any of them doing that--especially the handbag designer.  T jr. could be cruel and petty, but not in that loud, hulking way his father is. I can't see him parading sexual assault accusers at a presidential debate--as if it were a pro wrestling match.  The offspring are all deer in the headlights, lacking the serious nasty that attracts those screaming maga hats.

Well that's what happens when these so called "men" have children with multiple women and then are more interested in hanging with their hommies and chasing new hoes than they are in raising their children.  The traditional family unit is dead.  Sad.

Side note, my CFL team just drafted a guy who sacked Burrow 3 times in one game.