Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joe Flacco expected to miss 3-6 weeks
(07-27-2017, 11:11 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: This sounds like much more of a concern than just being out 3 to 6 weeks.. back issues are never good to deal with from start of season..

most updated info still looking at 3 to 6 weeks most likely

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000822402/article/joe-flacco-back-preparing-to-sit-out-36-weeks 

Technically those tweets came before Adam Schefter, so the "most updated" is still his "source". The story was updated on that website this morning, but it's still just going off the tweet from last night. Not that it matters, it's all just guessing from people who aren't doctors.

Either way, no bueno, but I'm hoping Schefter's unnamed source is more accurate than Rapoport's. Fingers crossed. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2017, 11:37 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: For 31 out of 32 NFL teams, yes. That would be the case.

However, Marvin Lewis' Bengals always struggle (not necessarily lose) when facing a backup. Now granted, since it's still July and TC hasn't even started yet, this won't be a true backup scenario. Going forward, whoever the Ravens current backup QB is will be treated as and preparing as, the starter. We'll see how this goes...

Plus, can you really call flacco a "quality" starter anymore?

Didn't we beat the Ravens back ups at home last 2 times Ravens played a backup the majority of the game?
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2017, 10:59 AM)pally Wrote: and now G John Urschel announced his retirement.  Not a regular starter but a solid back up which hits their depth. He was part of their mix in filling their hole at center  He will continue pursuing his PHD in advanced mathematics at MIT

The OL for the Ravens has also been reshuffled and this does not help in my opinion. Yet, the talking heads ignore the fact their OL also has big ? marks and they also lost their leading tackler form 2016. Yet many predict the Ravens will be better than us.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Ravens just can't buy a break with injuries the last couple years.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2017, 12:39 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Ravens just can't buy a break with injuries the last couple years.

How about us? we were on a roll in 2015 and lost Andy. Then for the playoffs we had Rex B. as our main receiver due to injuries. In 2016 we lost Eifert, Green Gio and Burfict was suspended or hurt until after mid season.

Reply/Quote
(07-27-2017, 11:05 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I just look at it as a ex coach.. I would rather play your 2nd string over your 1st string majority of the time.. I am not going to worry about how my team did last year, 2, 3, or 4 years ago against a backup.. besides QB is not the only position where you are hurt losing a starter... im sure there are a few games we have been helped in winning where starters have been out,

quality is relative term yes.. but when you compare it to the backup you have it tends to stand out more so i would rather face Mallet all day over Flacco  (if you want to look at history than look at Mallet also.. 0-2 50 % passing rating 2 TD 4 INT playing the Bengals).. 

(07-27-2017, 12:17 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Didn't we beat the Ravens back ups at home last 2 times Ravens played a backup the majority of the game?

Fair points, gentlemen. I guess if it is Mallet then we should be ok. 
Reply/Quote
Rough break for the Ravens.

Good for us that we have awhile to prepare for the backup. Hopefully it is Mallett who we have had success against.

It is those unpredictable QB's that we are not prepared for that seem to always give us troubles.

I was expecting us to beat these guys down opening day before this, even more so now.

But their Defense is still respectable, especially Brandon Williams and CJ Mosley.
Reply/Quote
Ravens starting OG John Urschel also just abruptly retired too. Apparently the decision was due to the CTE study that just came out.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000822459/article/john-urschel-tells-ravens-hes-retiring-from-nfl

I can't say I blame him, especially given he's a MIT grad with a degreee in mathematics.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-27-2017, 01:31 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Ravens starting OG John Urschel also just abruptly retired too. Apparently the decision was due to the CTE study that just came out.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000822459/article/john-urschel-tells-ravens-hes-retiring-from-nfl

I can't say I blame him, especially given he's a MIT grad with a degreee in mathematics.

Wow!

Well it's definitely a good decision on his part. With a mind as gifted as his he's better off putting it to use than damaging it playing football. I'm sure he's made plenty of money the past 3 years to live comfortably.... However,

How's that for timing? The day your team starts training camp? He couldn't have retired before the draft? Or better yet, as soon as last season ended? 
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2017, 01:38 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Wow!

Well it's definitely a good decision on his part. With a mind as gifted as his he's better off putting it to use than damaging it playing football. I'm sure he's made plenty of money the past 3 years to live comfortably.... However,

How's that for timing? The day your team starts training camp? He couldn't have retired before the draft? Or better yet, as soon as last season ended? 

Well the CTE study just came out this week, so that's likely why he didn't do it sooner.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-27-2017, 01:42 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Well the CTE study just came out this week, so that's likely why he didn't do it sooner.

Another one? I feel like there's a new CTE study released every year. What was revealed about this one? 

I thought it was pretty well known that football-related concussions cause life-altering effects. Whatever the new study revealed shouldn't have shocked him so much he had to retire. He had to have had some inkling football could harm his brain since he was in high school.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2017, 01:56 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Another one? I feel like there's a new CTE study released every year. What was revealed about this one? 

I thought it was pretty well known that football-related concussions cause life-altering effects. Whatever the new study revealed shouldn't have shocked him so much he had to retire. He had to have had some inkling football could harm his brain since he was in high school.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20170808/baltimore-ravens-offensive-lineman-john-urschel-retires-abruptly

Quote:His decision, which was announced by the Ravens, comes two days after a medical study indicated that chronic traumatic encephalopathy, known as CTE, was found in nearly 99 percent of deceased NFL players' brains that were donated to scientific research.

A team source said Urschel's decision was linked to the results of the study.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-27-2017, 02:31 PM)ochocincos Wrote: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20170808/baltimore-ravens-offensive-lineman-john-urschel-retires-abruptly

Dang... But I'm not entirely surprised. The vast majority of those who donated their bodies to science did so because they knew there was something wrong. They wanted to help out future generations of players and God bless them for that. 

Anyway, if that's what drove him to retire then I guess I can't fault him. I just figured he would know the results of that study wouldn't be good. 
Reply/Quote
Anybody know offhand whether it's worse to injure the front of the brain or the back?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(07-27-2017, 03:22 PM)McC Wrote: Anybody know offhand whether it's worse to injure the front of the brain or the back?

... Yes
Reply/Quote
Er, don't we sort of need Flake-o to believe alive to beat the Steelers for us?

We beat Flacco and Flacco beats the Steelers, so I don't quite see why we are so giddy over this so far.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2017, 12:39 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Ravens just can't buy a break with injuries the last couple years.

and the Bengals can ???  Dalton injury in 2015 was just a killer... and last year with AJ and Eiffert and Gio... not good...
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2017, 10:24 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: and the Bengals can ???  Dalton injury in 2015 was just a killer... and last year with AJ and Eiffert and Gio... not good...

Dalton's was back breaking. Dude was playing at an MVP levels.
Reply/Quote
Is this 3-6 weeks into the season or 3-6 weeks from now?
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2017, 06:36 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Er, don't we sort of need Flake-o to believe alive to beat the Steelers for us?

We beat Flacco and Flacco beats the Steelers, so I don't quite see why we are so giddy over this so far.

Gosh dang it! Why don't we just beat the damn Steelers ourselves instead of relying on the Ravens and Pats to do it for us?!!! Whatever

Damn Marv. :paul:

(07-28-2017, 01:09 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Is this 3-6 weeks into the season or 3-6 weeks from now?

3-6 weeks from now.
Reply/Quote