Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joe Goodberry - Who will be the most available at 18 and 49
(04-04-2024, 09:14 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: they need big help at both DE and DT.   you can never have enough edge rushers

Agree with that Frank. If Dallas Turner or Latu somehow fell to us it would honestly be too good to pass up, we would be set at Edge.

The DT's that might fall both can rush the passer and stop the run in Newton and Murphy. We could cut BJ Hill to free up dough if we 
got one of these guys and I really like BJ.

(04-05-2024, 08:50 AM)Synric Wrote: What's fun about Amarius Mims is if you disregard the playing time and look at everything else he is the best overall fit at OT for the Bengals with his position (RT over Left), tape, measureables, where his upside is, pedigree (5 star national top 10 recruit), winning program... lol

True. Scary because of the lack of playing time, but you cannot deny the fit and the fact that we got Trent Brown to mentor...

(04-05-2024, 12:11 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Yea I know, but the lack of experience is what scares me.
If the Bengals feel like that's not a problem and like what he has to offer, I'll hope for the best, obviously.

Same, was really weary of Mims early on, not so much now and will support him if he is the pick.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2024, 01:43 PM)depthchart Wrote: This is where I start thinking about BPA.

Who is more likely NOT to Bust ?

Amarius Mims or Byron Murphy II or Brian Thomas JR or Quinyon Mitchell or Jer'Zhan Newton or Jackson Powers-Johnson or even DE Laiatu Latu

I think our first pick will be one of these
Taliese Fuaga G/OT Oregon State
JC Latham OT Bama
Troy Fautanu OT Washington
Brian Thomas WR LSU
Byron Murphy DT Texas
Terrion Arnold CB Bama

This I know from someone who without question knows Trent Brown allowed them to be able to take the BPA at 1. I also know at 1 they are married to picking players they’ve seen go up against NFL sure fire talents. That could exclude Fautanu.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2024, 01:17 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I think our first pick will be one of these
Taliese Fuaga G/OT Oregon State
JC Latham OT Bama
Troy Fautanu OT Washington
Brian Thomas WR LSU
Byron Murphy DT Texas
Terrion Arnold CB Bama

This I know from someone who without question knows Trent Brown allowed them to be able to take the BPA at 1. I also know at 1 they are married to picking players they’ve seen go up against NFL sure fire talents. That could exclude Fautanu.

This is where to me it becomes WHO do the Bengals really want.

If they just sit at pick #18, I tend to think that players like Fuaga & Latham & Arnold could be gone already.

Do they just stay put with Brian Thomas JR in their back pocket (so to speak) or maybe Trade Up 3 to 5 spots 

to get say an OT they really think can't miss ? 

In your scenario, staying put with Brian Thomas JR & Byron Murphy II & Troy Fautanu hanging around where 1 at least should still be at #18.

If they did exclude Fautanu, then OT could become out of the question if Latham & Fuaga are gone. (Based on your Scenario)
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2024, 09:49 PM)depthchart Wrote: This is where to me it becomes WHO do the Bengals really want.

If they just sit at pick #18, I tend to think that players like Fuaga & Latham & Arnold could be gone already.

Do they just stay put with Brian Thomas JR in their back pocket (so to speak) or maybe Trade Up 3 to 5 spots 

In your scenario, staying put with Brian Thomas JR & Byron Murphy II & Troy Fautanu hanging around where 1 at least should still be at #18.

If they did exclude Fautanu, then OT could become out of the question if Latham & Fuaga are gone. (Based on your Scenario)

In the situation Sooner provides there I would take Byron Murphy easily as I think most all those players will be gone, except Latham.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2024, 09:49 PM)depthchart Wrote: This is where to me it becomes WHO do the Bengals really want.

They have the extra round 3 pick that could help them move up a few spots in a swap. So if they do want someone they might be able to swing it. I certainly don’t know their thoughts. I do know they are bound and determined to be able to draft the BPA every year. They achieved that with the signing of Trent Brown. I just listed the guys I think will be there. Now some will be gone. Who are you zeroing in on?
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(04-09-2024, 08:44 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: They have the extra round 3 pick that could help them move up a few spots in a swap. So if they do want someone they might be able to swing it. I certainly don’t know their thoughts. I do know they are bound and determined to be able to draft the BPA every year. They achieved that with the signing of Trent Brown. I just listed the guys I think will be there. Now some will be gone. Who are you zeroing in on?

I stay open minded to the very end but as of now I have a few ideas.

Consider Trading up 3 to 5 spots for OT JC Latham or TE Brock Bowers.

Stay put at pick #18 for WR Brian Thomas Jr to get a leg up on the TEE & loss of Boyd issues.

Stay put at pick #18 for Byron Murphy II to deepen that Group for the future & in case of injuries there.

Other considerations for pick #18 (Fuaga & Fashanu but I think they will be gone before #18)

Corners Quinyon Mitchell & Terrion Arnold (who may both be gone before #18) Somewhat of a Luxury pick but would help the Group.

DE Laiatu Latu (even more of a Luxury pick since somewhat deep at DE but I think that Latu could be a Stud player)

If all of my options were available at pick #18 as of right now I would order them:

JC Latham
Brock Bowers
Fuaga
Brian Thomas Jr
Fashanu
Byron Murphy II
Quinyon Mitchell
Terrion Arnold
Laitau Latu

*Ordered probably a little more for need or impact to the Team or Team Finances than pure BPA. (All subject to change or re-order)
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2024, 12:11 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Yea I know, but the lack of experience is what scares me.
If the Bengals feel like that's not a problem and like what he has to offer, I'll hope for the best, obviously.

Does that really matter for an OT?  I go back and forth. 

I have a steadfast rule that I would NEVER draft a QB in the first round that only started for 1 year in college.

I'd have to go back and look at the top guys and see if there's a pattern on school/coaching/starting exp etc.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2024, 11:47 AM)depthchart Wrote: I stay open minded to the very end but as of now I have a few ideas.

Consider Trading up 3 to 5 spots for OT JC Latham or TE Brock Bowers.

Stay put at pick #18 for WR Brian Thomas Jr to get a leg up on the TEE & loss of Boyd issues.

Stay put at pick #18 for Byron Murphy II to deepen that Group for the future & in case of injuries there.

Other considerations for pick #18 (Fuaga & Fashanu but I think they will be gone before #18)

Corners Quinyon Mitchell & Terrion Arnold (who may both be gone before #18) Somewhat of a Luxury pick but would help the Group.

DE Laiatu Latu (even more of a Luxury pick since somewhat deep at DE but I think that Latu could be a Stud player)

If all of my options were available at pick #18 as of right now I would order them:

JC Latham
Brock Bowers
Fuaga
Brian Thomas Jr
Fashanu
Byron Murphy II
Quinyon Mitchell
Terrion Arnold
Laitau Latu

*Ordered probably a little more for need or impact to the Team or Team Finances than pure BPA. (All subject to change or re-order)

Great list. I’d imagine Bowers is gone. Although I think Bucky Brooks who is solid mocked him to us. I doubt Fuago is there either. But I think they will have a top 5 or so ranked they want. It will be minus QB’s and such. They will go with whoever falls. I’m leaning to Thomas, Murphy, or Arnold.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(04-09-2024, 12:14 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Great list. I’d imagine Bowers is gone. Although I think Bucky Brooks who is solid mocked him to us. I doubt Fuago is there either. But I think they will have a top 5 or so ranked they want. It will be minus QB’s and such. They will go with whoever falls. I’m leaning to Thomas, Murphy, or Arnold.

The Bengals 4th round pick may be enough to Trade up 3 to 5 spots. (Maybe add one of the 6th round picks to get it done)

In 2023 the Steelers & Patriots made this Trade. The Steelers went up for Broderick Jones OT.

New England traded a first-round selection (14th) to Pittsburgh in exchange for first- and fourth-round selections (17th and 120th overall)

Compare to Bengals give #18 & #115  to go up to #14. 

(and maybe add a 6th rounder to it to get a deal done at #14 or maybe even #13)

A Trade Value Chart would have this close enough & from there I think it comes down to Who the Team trading down is Targeting.

If a Team can Trade down 3 to 5 spots, still get the Targeted player plus a 4th round pick (& maybe a 6th) then 

they probably won't concern themselves with the Chart down to every last point value.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2024, 12:28 PM)depthchart Wrote: The Bengals 4th round pick may be enough to Trade up 3 to 5 spots. (Maybe add one of the 6th round picks to get it done)

In 2023 the Steelers & Patriots made this Trade. The Steelers went up for Broderick Jones OT.

New England traded a first-round selection (14th) to Pittsburgh in exchange for first- and fourth-round selections (17th and 120th overall)

Compare to Bengals give #18 & #115  to go up to #14. 

(and maybe add a 6th rounder to it to get a deal done at #14 or maybe even #13)

A Trade Value Chart would have this close enough & from there I think it comes down to Who the Team trading down is Targeting.

If a Team can Trade down 3 to 5 spots, still get the Targeted player plus a 4th round pick (& maybe a 6th) then 

they probably won't concern themselves with the Chart down to every last point value.

I am complete agreement to trade up. I’d swap picks with the Vikings at 11 and give them Browning or our better 4. I think we need a sure fire starter and future all pro not a Myles Murphy or Dax Hill future starter. Trading up makes that likely.

Reply/Quote
(04-09-2024, 07:32 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I am complete agreement to trade up. I’d swap picks with the Vikings at 11 and give them Browning or our better 4. I think we need a sure fire starter and future all pro not a Myles Murphy or Dax Hill future starter. Trading up makes that likely.

What do you think the Bengals think of Bowers ?

And who would you Trade up for ?
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2024, 07:38 PM)depthchart Wrote: What do you think the Bengals think of Bowers ?

And who would you Trade up for ?

I think at TE they have Gesicki but because of only a 1 year deal they are positioned to be able to take Bowers. I know for an absolute 1000% fact they are tired of the shuffle game at TE. I think Trent Brown with only a 1 year deal means they want a long term solution at RT. Letting go of Tyler Boyd means that if someone good is there then they can draft someone at 1. Signing Moss to a 2 year deal means they aren’t placing RB as an early need. Not signing a CB in free agency means they may draft one. So I think TE,RT, WR, and CB will be our pick.

Reply/Quote
(04-03-2024, 01:27 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Bengals drafted a DE in the 1st round last year when having locked starters and even decent depth.
They did the same with safety the year prior.

Don't be surprised if they draft a guy again who could not start all/most of the year.

Agree completely that this is the Bengals tendency and will not be surprised to see it done again.

Although I believe in the years the team can go "all in" they need to try and hit a year one 

I mean if we use the last several years as examples then when Chase was picked is the only year the Bengals had a real good season. When drafting future starters, meh.

There are lots of holes to fill this year.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2024, 06:30 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Agree completely that this is the Bengals tendency and will not be surprised to see it done again.

Although I believe in the years the team can go "all in" they need to try and hit a year one 

I mean if we use the last several years as examples then when Chase was picked is the only year the Bengals had a real good season. When drafting future starters, meh.

There are lots of holes to fill this year.  

Chase hit & impacted the Team like a Bolt of Lightening.  (81 catches for 1,455 yards & 13 tds)

Looking at the 2024 Draft it seems like TE Brock Bowers might offer an impact in his rookie season

A receiver with 4.33 speed like Brian Thomas Jr might offer some rookie year impact with Boyd leaving. 

An OT option may become needed with older Trent Brown being an injury risk.

A DT like Byron Murphy II could impact some by rotating in and if an injury were to occur within that Group.

A Top Corner could work his way into production as the season progresses & give a Boost to that Group

A DE like Laiatu Latu may be nice to have to rotate in but that Group is fairly deep. If Latu is very good it could help some.

*Getting a Star Caliber 1st round player that is hard to keep off the Field would be a Nice problem to have.
Reply/Quote