Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joe Goodberry breaks down the issues with Burrow
This is the best video I've seen so far addressing the issues with Burrow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yq1KoXwjT8E

It is worrisome to an extent. Do you think Joe Burrow can correct his issues and be the guy he was last year? I do.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Anyone mind summing up what was said for those of us at work and not able to sit through a 20 minute video?

Thanks in advance!
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Great breakdown. I am really hoping that this is just a lack of training camp reps for Burrow. I think he can and will get better with time. Collins is a concern too, as you cannot have those mental lapses. Things like that add to a QB becoming skittish and not trusting his protection.
It's easy to see the world in black and white. Grey? I don't know what to do with grey.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The main thing that stands out to me during his press conferences is that he seems to have lost all his swagger/confidence.

Remember last year when he (while smiling) "F it, Ja'Marr's out there somewhere". That was his gunslinger mentality. One of his recent quotes really stood out to me. Joe said something along the lines of "I didn't turn it over this week. That was my goal this week." In other words, he admitted he is gun-shy. He went from 4 INT's in week 1 to not even trying to push it down field in Week 2. Burrow was so scared of turning it over. Couple that with a vanilla offense, poor OL play, constant hits, poor running, always playing from behind.

I can't believe I used "Burrow" and "scared" in the same sentence. It is a 180 from who is he. It almost reminds me of Ricky Vaughn from Major League II. He needs to find himself and soon before the season is already a loss. We got his back.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2022, 12:14 PM)BleedNOrange Wrote: The main thing that stands out to me during his press conferences is that he seems to have lost all his swagger/confidence.

Remember last year when he (while smiling) "F it, Ja'Marr's out there somewhere".  That was his gunslinger mentality.  One of his recent quotes really stood out to me.  Joe said something along the lines of "I didn't turn it over this week.  That was my goal this week."  In other words, he admitted he is gun-shy.  He went from 4 INT's in week 1 to not even trying to push it down field in Week 2.  Burrow was so scared of turning it over.  Couple that with a vanilla offense, poor OL play, constant hits, poor running, always playing from behind.

I can't believe I used "Burrow" and "scared" in the same sentence.  It is a 180 from who is he.  It almost reminds me of Ricky Vaughn from Major League II.  He needs to find himself and soon before the season is already a loss.  We got his back.

So who's going to volunteer their wife to sleep with Burrow? Ninja

Oh wait. You said Major League II. I was thinking Major League 1 when Martin's character slept with one of his teammates wives.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2022, 12:02 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Anyone mind summing up what was said for those of us at work and not able to sit through a 20 minute video?

Thanks in advance!

Joe is getting out of a throwing stance and into a running stance to quickly, knees bent head down. He just doesn't seem to be reading what's right there in front of him, check downs were open on several plays, couple wide open. He's going thru his progressions in slow motion, what used to be one of his best attributes.

He's playing scared looking where he can bail as soon as he feels slightest pressure. It's like he's went backwards 5 years in his maturity as a player. Goodberry even compared him to Andy Dalton looking plays.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2022, 12:14 PM)BleedNOrange Wrote: The main thing that stands out to me during his press conferences is that he seems to have lost all his swagger/confidence.

Remember last year when he (while smiling) "F it, Ja'Marr's out there somewhere".  That was his gunslinger mentality.  One of his recent quotes really stood out to me.  Joe said something along the lines of "I didn't turn it over this week.  That was my goal this week."  In other words, he admitted he is gun-shy.  He went from 4 INT's in week 1 to not even trying to push it down field in Week 2.  Burrow was so scared of turning it over.  Couple that with a vanilla offense, poor OL play, constant hits, poor running, always playing from behind.

[B]I can't believe I used "Burrow" and "scared" in the same sentence.[.B]  It is a 180 from who is he.  It almost reminds me of Ricky Vaughn from Major League II.  He needs to find himself and soon before the season is already a loss.  We got his back.

Right, it's why it's so perplexing ! Everything about JOE Burrow up until now has been the exact opposite.

I'm baffled ?
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2022, 12:41 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Joe is getting out of a throwing stance and into a running stance to quickly, knees bent head down. He just doesn't seem to be reading what's right there in front of him, check downs were open on several plays, couple wide open. He's going thru his progressions in slow motion, what used to be one of his best attributes.

He's playing scared looking where he can bail as soon as he feels slightest pressure. It's like he's went backwards 5 years in his maturity as a player. Goodberry even compared him to Andy Dalton looking plays.

Andy Dalton year 7-9, not Andy Dalton year 3. This is troublesome as how many QB's recover from shell-shock/happy feet/seeing ghosts. 

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
The scoring drive when they scored and got the 2pt. he looked like the Joe of old, seemed to me because he had time as the Dallas D wasn't all over him. The Oline blocked pretty well. Lots of those clips showed the D in his face before the receivers could run their routes. Missed assignments, missed communication whatever it was he was feeling pressure and bolted. Yes he did miss some dump off passes he could have made and that makes it look worse but he is scrambling out most of the time. The Oline and blocking just looks out of sync.
Reply/Quote

Remember last year when he (while smiling) "F it, Ja'Marr's out there somewhere".  
I got news for you...

Those were usually after wins.
Reply/Quote
This happened to David Carr after 2 or 3 years of getting sacked 50 plus every year. I’m
Reply/Quote
Wait Tony and 740Bengal no condemnation of Taylor or Callihan by Goodberry? Loved the clip where Samaje was one on one with Parsons and ate his lunch. Guess that sums up why he plays. Well Burrow is in a slump I’m flying to NYC for the game. I’m the get luck charm first Bengal game in person.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Goodberry did a good job. This is a very coachable issue. The unusual part is he is doing this out of the gate. If this WERE due to pressure and such it should emerge during the season not right out of the gate when he did not play at all in preseason.
Reply/Quote
This is the 1st time JB has faced any kind
Of adversity in football on any level in regards
To the game on the field
In high school he was heads and shoulders
Above most of his competitors
At LSU...dominated set records
2020...knee Injury ..came back from
Rehab to engineer a SB team
But these 1st 2 games of 2022, he has
Never had a similar experience previously
So now Joe's issue is 100% mental
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2022, 12:41 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Joe is getting out of a throwing stance and into a running stance to quickly, knees bent head down. He just doesn't seem to be reading what's right there in front of him, check downs were open on several plays, couple wide open. He's going thru his progressions in slow motion, what used to be one of his best attributes.

He did point to some encouraging things towards the end of the game, and noted that once Burrow figured out what the defense was doing he got much better. It just can’t take that long every week.

Reply/Quote
(09-21-2022, 01:30 PM)impactplaya Wrote: This is the 1st time JB has faced any kind
To the game on the field

You left out Ohio State for some reason.....
Reply/Quote
I think teams don’t like to talk about it but you can mess up a QB.
-Housh
Reply/Quote

I can't believe I used "Burrow" and "scared" in the same sentence.  It is a 180 from who is he.  It almost reminds me of Ricky Vaughn from Major League II.  He needs to find himself and soon before the season is already a loss.  We got his back.

Great point about how the 4 interceptions may have effected him. I think this is a point that is being glossed over. 

He is trying to take care of the ball more but in doing so he's basically not trusting himself and what makes him great. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
JB9 is seeing ghost right now.... I hope he comes out of it. I admit it does worry me.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2022, 01:30 PM)impactplaya Wrote: This is the 1st time JB has faced any kind
To the game on the field

As sled said he had plenty at tOSU. Joe Burrow has not always been Joe Montana
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote