Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joe Haden
(08-30-2017, 02:35 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: He was due 11 million in 2017. I don't think the price is 4 to 5 million, I think minimum of 6 to 8 million. My guess he turned that down from the Browns to restructure.

The Browns didn't want him at 11 million, so guessing he'll make 6-8 million minimum on his next deal seems highly unlikely to me. Not with his recent health concerns and the fact that he was released 2 weeks before the season starts. If this were March, I'd agree with you. We'll see I guess. Maybe some team is desperate, but I think Haden will sign below market. Possibly a short term or "prove it" deal.

(08-30-2017, 02:38 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Fair point... But is that desperation or stupid, blind loyalty to a player who's close to a certain someone in the front office? 

Stupid blind loyalty to a bargain, I'd say. From a poor talent evaluator with no common sense (Pacman was once a bargain, but his skills are declining).
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Haden is officially a Steeler.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
3 years 27 million or so the report says but only 7 mil this year.
Reply/Quote
I didn't realize they had the cap space for that. They still gotta sign Le'blunt
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2017, 02:01 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Desperate is keeping a 34 year old that slaps and spits on women, tells cops to die, and is responsible for a man being crippled for life.

Signing a 28 year old Pro Bowler at a discount rate (due to the timing of his release) is not desperation. It's smart.

Can not argue with any of this but sadly the steelers beat us to the punch. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2017, 04:19 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The Browns didn't want him at 11 million, so guessing he'll make 6-8 million minimum on his next deal seems highly unlikely to me. Not with his recent health concerns and the fact that he was released 2 weeks before the season starts. If this were March, I'd agree with you. We'll see I guess. Maybe some team is desperate, but I think Haden will sign below market. Possibly a short term or "prove it" deal.

I eat some crow here. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2017, 05:25 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Haden is officially a Steeler.

Steelers will beat the Bengals twice again this year and not 'because' of Haden, although he will contribute, but because the Steelers own this team!!
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2017, 04:27 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Steelers will beat the Bengals twice again this year and not 'because' of Haden, although he will contribute, but because the Steelers own this team!!

Even if they are allowed to hold like crazy every play (like last year), even if the officials are horribly in their favor (like every year), and even if the NFL suspends all the key players on our roster for their game, they will not be beating the Bengals twice this season.  I don't even think they beat the Bengals once.  
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2017, 09:22 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Even if they are allowed to hold like crazy every play (like last year), even if the officials are horribly in their favor (like every year), and even if the NFL suspends all the key players on our roster for their game, they will not be beating the Bengals twice this season.  I don't even think they beat the Bengals once.  

I wish I could get behind the optimism, but we haven't swept the Steelers since 2009. In the 7 seasons after that, the Steelers swept us 4 times and obviously split the other 3. 

That 2009 sweep is our only sweep of the Steelers in 14 years with Marvin. They've swept us 7 times over that span.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2017, 02:06 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I wish I could get behind the optimism, but we haven't swept the Steelers since 2009. In the 7 seasons after that, the Steelers swept us 4 times and obviously split the other 3. 

That 2009 sweep is our only sweep of the Steelers in 14 years with Marvin. They've swept us 7 times over that span.

Both teams are held to way different standards for their play on the field...

Steelers get away with all sorts of dirty Illegal plays     and get called a tough team.   They wouldn't be nearly as good if held to the same rules as some of the other teams follow in the league imo.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2017, 02:47 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Both teams are held to way different standards for their play on the field...

Steelers get away with all sorts of dirty Illegal plays     and get called a tough team.   They wouldn't be nearly as good if held to the same rules as some of the other teams follow in the league imo.

To an extent I agree, but we've shot ourselves in the foot plenty as well. The Ravens are competitive with the Steelers. They've also been able to win a couple championships. I've wondered before if the 2 are related. The Ravens have been able to hang with the class of the division while we've always struggled.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2017, 02:06 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I wish I could get behind the optimism, but we haven't swept the Steelers since 2009. In the 7 seasons after that, the Steelers swept us 4 times and obviously split the other 3. 

Yep, and that is our past.  I believe that tide is turning. 
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2017, 09:22 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Even if they are allowed to hold like crazy every play (like last year), even if the officials are horribly in their favor (like every year), and even if the NFL suspends all the key players on our roster for their game, they will not be beating the Bengals twice this season.  I don't even think they beat the Bengals once.  

As a Bengal fan I would love to see it, but my prediction is, during their first meeting, Mike Mitchell will hurt at least one Bengal and get away with it, and Burfict will get ejected and be done for the rest of the year.

Until this team stops letting these thugs get under their skin and stop shooting themselves in the foot, Thugsburgh will continue to dominate!
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2017, 01:22 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: As a Bengal fan I would love to see it, but my prediction is, during their first meeting, Mike Mitchell will hurt at least one Bengal and get away with it, and Burfict will get ejected and be done for the rest of the year.

Until this team stops letting these thugs get under their skin and stop shooting themselves in the foot, Thugsburgh will continue to dominate!

I just feel like this defense FINALLY has an answer to what Houston did both times in the playoffs, SD did in the playoffs, Indy did in the playoffs, and the steelers do every time we play them.  They will go maximum protection, stuff our front four, send out receivers downfield, and check it down to a RB for an easy 10 yard gain.  It goes run, run, dump pass and it was a slow but sure death every time.  Now, the Bengals have ends that can collapse from the edges to complement Geno pushing the pocket and providing pressure right up the middle.  We have always had a really good secondary, but they simply were asked to cover way too long and the (old and slow) LBs couldn't cover the check down.  Now, both the LB corps is faster and the rush ends finally have a rotation on extreme speed and power outside.

I have thought this to be the formula for ages, but we always were lacking in the LB speed and outside rush.  

No longer.  Flaccid will be the first to feel it.  He likes to hold the ball and chuck it deep.  I doubt he will survive with that game plan.  I imagine Harbaugh will try to take advantage of the absence of Burfict and pound the ball.  
Reply/Quote