Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joe Mixon + AJ Green = Misuse of Cap Dollars
Not really sure what to say here. I've compained about keeping AJ since before the end of last season. And I think we grossly overpaid Mixon. Both these dudes like complete dog turds right now.

Maybe, just maybe, if your offensive line is terrible you should consider some upgrades in the offseason???

Nah, we'll just splurge on some in-house weapons to sell tickets.

How's that looking right now?

PS AJ Green is DONE. This guy doesn't even look like a 5 mil receiver. We're paying him more than every other receiver in the league not named Julio Jones.
Reply/Quote
I'm still on the Joe Mixon train. Build in front of him and Burrow.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I don't think AJ Green is done. He hasn't had much of a camp to develop chemistry with Burrow. Their connection seems slightly off. I've got no doubts AJ bounces back. If he doesn't, then I'll get worried. I'm happy he's healthy through 2 games. Happy to see the other receivers developing some chemistry with Burrow.

John Ross was absent today. He caught a couple balls last week. He'll likely be a cheap re-sign if they want to bring him back next year (assuming this keeps up).

I like the way they are rotating with different receivers. Haven't seen much Tate yet, but lots of different receivers are catching passes. I'm encouraged.

You're right though Wes. Maybe AJ isn't worth the money for a long term deal. He's got a lot to prove.
Reply/Quote
Aj Green should have had two TDs last week and over 80 yards but he was unlucky. This week he is playing on a short week plus going up against one of the Best Corners in the game. Give the dude some time.
As for Mixon he was making plays out of nothing and he was producing in the passing game early.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 01:13 AM)Synric Wrote: I'm still on the Joe Mixon train. Build in front of him and Burrow.

Me too. He looked good. He ran the ball well. 

We were just behind the whole game so he didn't get as much work.
Reply/Quote
Agree with AJ but Mixon is a stud. Go back and watch play after play that he turns into positive gains after being met at or behind the LOS. Cannot put into words how bad this offensive line is. AJ though looks like he has lost a step.
Reply/Quote
Joe Mixon has to escape someone in the backfield on practically every play. Blaming him for that is dumb.

Green. I'm worried. He looks like he's hurt at the end of every play. Still reserving judgement. Both the Chargers and the Browns could count on getting pressure every down so they could focus on Green and not worry about anyone else hurting them too bad.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 01:11 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Not really sure what to say here.  I've compained about keeping AJ since before the end of last season.  And I think we grossly overpaid Mixon.  Both these dudes like complete dog turds right now.

Maybe, just maybe, if your offensive line is terrible you should consider some upgrades in the offseason???

PS AJ Green is DONE.  This guy doesn't even look like a 5 mil receiver.  We're paying him more than every other receiver in the league not named Julio Jones.

- I agree on Green. He looks old, slow, and tentative. If the Bengals can get a 3rd for him,  I would consider that a gift and they need to take it and draft O line & d line.

- Disagree on Mixon. The line cannot block at all. Tough to bang on him when guys are in the backfield or getting no push.

- Joe Burrow doesn't need an all star cast of skill position guys to do well. He just doesn't. He needs an offensive line. This guy can turn water into wine.... the O line needs to provide him the cup.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 01:11 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Not really sure what to say here.  I've compained about keeping AJ since before the end of last season.  And I think we grossly overpaid Mixon.  Both these dudes like complete dog turds right now.

PS AJ Green is DONE.  This guy doesn't even look like a 5 mil receiver.  We're paying him more than every other receiver in the league not named Julio Jones.

This team needs an almost complete rebuild of the offensive personnel next off-season.  They should have done it this off-season, but they dumped most all of their FA dollars into the defense and left the cupboard bare around Burrow.  The OL needs at least two quality starters, Mixon is good, but not elite, and the WR corps is a disaster.  

I hope AJ gets better.  Sadly, he looks washed up and the FT was a complete joke.  I said all off-season that well managed teams cut bait with players before they hit the wall.  The Bengals were suckers and held on too long.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 01:13 AM)Synric Wrote: I'm still on the Joe Mixon train. Build in front of him and Burrow.

The problem with Joe is he's being paid like a RB that should be able to be productive without a good line in front of him and he's not.  It would have been better to put that money into the OL.
Reply/Quote

I think you and I were dying on those hills together.

AJ Green will go down as the 2nd best Bengal WR of all time, but I didn't like tagging him after not playing for so long.
I have always been vocally in the don't-pay-RB (unless they're Barry Sanders-ish) camp.

Already both a done deal, so all we can do now is hope they improve a good amount from these first two weeks' showings.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Is it me or it does it seem like everytime Joe mixon has a great run the flag is thrown to bring it back?
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 01:19 AM)Bengalstripes18 Wrote: Me too. He looked good. He ran the ball well. 

We were just behind the whole game so he didn't get as much work.

By what possible metric is 16 carries/46 yards (2.9 YPC)/0 TD doing well?

Real question. So far this year he has 35 carries/115 yards (3.3 YPC)/0 TD/1 Fum.

Reply/Quote
Disagree about Mixon, but AJ might be finished.

On the bright side, they don't have a long term investment in him contract-wise.

Perhaps they can let him play out the tag, let him go into FA, then spend the money on a legit RT.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 01:37 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: By what possible metric is 16 carries/46 yards (2.9 YPC)/0 TD doing well?

Real question. So far this year he has 35 carries/115 yards (3.3 YPC)/0 TD/1 Fum.

Are you watching the games? The work he has to do just to get that yardage is absurd. If we had an average or below average back his YPC honestly would be under 2.0.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 01:39 AM)thompson19osu Wrote: Are you watching the games? The work he has to do just to get that yardage is absurd. If we had an average or below average back his YPC honestly would be under 2.0.

I don't dislike Mixon, but he trys to do too much sometimes. I feel like his 2nd half production bumps always come from him simplifying his style and just hitting the holes harder. We dont have an o line for him to try and be like bell was. 
Reply/Quote
I'm just glad we didn't sign AJ Green long term.

Mixon will be fine. He has played well with a bad Oline in the past. He'll get on track. It'll help when our defense doesn't give up 3 touchdowns in the first half.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 01:37 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: By what possible metric is 16 carries/46 yards (2.9 YPC)/0 TD doing well?

Stats don't tell you everything. He ran the ball well considering the holes in front of him. He turned every run except for the one on the goal line into a positive play. 

The offensive line is the problem. They need to improve. This is not new. I'm stunned there are so many people shocked by the poor line play. We should have all seen this coming. They need some time yet, and likely another tackle and guard to emerge (from the draft or somewhere). 
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 01:39 AM)thompson19osu Wrote: Are you watching the games? The work he has to do just to get that yardage is absurd. If we had an average or below average back his YPC honestly would be under 2.0.

I highly doubt that considering under 2 with any decent amount of carries is literally impossible unless you're trying for it. Getting 2 yards is just falling forward your body length.

Even under 3 is a real tough feat to get. There have only been 9 RBs in the last 16 years (as far back as ESPN's stats go) to get under 3ypc on at least 100 carries. Doug Martin, LeGarrett Blount, Bernard Pierce, Rashad Jennings, Chester Taylor, Chris Perry, Rudi Johnson, Kevin Barlow, Marcel Shipp.

- - - - - -

TLDR: Under 2.0 is practically impossible, Mixon is really sucking this year regardless of the OL.

Reply/Quote
Completely agree. Same thing with the gio contract. STUPID. Invest in o-line for crying out loud. Everyone knew it was going to be almost as bad as 2019s. And it is
Reply/Quote