Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joe Mixon, I'm a believer
(08-28-2017, 05:37 PM)bfine32 Wrote: 20 carries for 78 yards (3.9 YPC), 0 TDs, and 1 fumble. What's not to love?

I hope he does well too. But I might want to see just a little more before we start making recervations in Canton

I can dig the optimism people have about Mixon, but it is interesting how often being optimistic about one player means throwing everyone else in the trash lest they get in the way of his awesomeness. Was it really only 2 years ago when Gio, Hue, and Dalton were all going to get in the way of Hill dragging this team to the promised land? Seems so long ago. Now he's one of the bums getting in the way of our eventual success on the wings of Mixon. Circle of life, and all that.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 04:21 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Cause he will split time with Hill and Gio   limiting his potential this season

You call it limiting his potential I call it saving his legs and body, the NFL is a long season for a rookie let alone a RB

Splitting the carries is fine with me
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 05:23 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Until he goes off against pitt for 200 yards and the commish decides to suspend him for something he did when he was 7 years old....

The guy has talent, and hopefully doesn't even get a parking ticket, because the witch hunt around here is real.

I am sure Mixon will be tearing it up come the pitt game, and they will be aiming at knees all day long.  Which would get Burfict shot and the steelers titles.  
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 04:02 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Why not?  Running backs can easily come into the league NFL ready.  His numbers may not reflect it, but his play will.

(08-28-2017, 04:28 PM)Benton Wrote: As others have said, I do't see why he couldn't.

Sure, he'll split carries. And I know Marvin prefers to reduce the roles of rookies when possible ("Look, over there, it's a second year first round pick with a hang nail, get him on IR before it's too late!"). But if Mixon makes the most of every down — and every back pretty much has to these days — there's no reason he can't make a noticeable impact even with fewer snaps than a "starting" RB. 

Oh, its not that he COULDN'T, he just WON'T.

All because I feel Jeremy will have a stud season and Mixon will be put on the backburner of sorts, used only in certain situations.

Unless Hill gets hurt, then all bets are off and Mixon will take over.

(08-28-2017, 08:51 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I think he has all the makings of a star as well. And the more I think about it the more I hope they can afford to bring him along kinda slowly. (not this year)

1.) It will mean Hill and Gio are getting it done.

2.) Mixon will be a fresh ace in the hole in the back 3rd of season

3.) Rb's seem to have a pretty consistent service life in number of carries, just means he'll have a tic more in the tank when Hill and Gio are gone.

1. Exactly

2. EXACTLY! (though if Hill stays healthy, may not matter... we'll see!)

3. Exactlyx3

I think the team knows this as well; if we're running fine with Hill and Gio-van (which I think we undeoubtedly wil), then there's no need to play Mixon a lot; just let him in in certain situations and schemes.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 09:42 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Oh, its not that he COULDN'T, he just WON'T.

All because I feel Jeremy will have a stud season and Mixon will be put on the backburner of sorts, used only in certain situations.

Unless Hill gets hurt, then all bets are off and Mixon will take over.

1. Exactly

2. EXACTLY! (though if Hill stays healthy, may not matter... we'll see!)

3. Exactlyx3

I think the team knows this as well; if we're running fine with Hill and Gio-van (which I think we undeoubtedly wil), then there's no need to play Mixon a lot; just let him in in certain situations and schemes.

My thoughts as well Truck....and honestly, Hill has looked determined so far....so good to me, in fact, he was sitting in the last round of our fantasy draft, and we took him.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 10:21 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: My thoughts as well Truck....and honestly, Hill has looked determined so far....so good to me, in fact, he was sitting in the last round of our fantasy draft, and we took him.

Atta boy!

Hope that turns out to be the pick of your draft :)
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 10:29 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Atta boy!

Hope that turns out to be the pick of your draft :)

Me too.....but CBS' evaluation of it was less than stellar....lol.  I honestly think it was a steal.

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 10:34 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Me too.....but CBS' evaluation of it was less than stellar....lol.  I honestly think it was a steal.

Last pick in the draft?

If he has a season like last year, as your third RB, that's an absolute steal and a half.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 10:21 AM)Wyche Wrote: My thoughts as well Truck....and honestly, Hill has looked determined so far....so good to me, in fact, he was sitting in the last round of our fantasy draft, and we took him.

I took Hill too around the bottom of our 20 round draft like 18 lol. Crazy thing is Mixon went like round 4...We as Bengals fans know that if all 3 RBs are on the team opening week Hill will be the TD vulture. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 10:38 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Last pick in the draft?

If he has a season like last year, as your third RB, that's an absolute steal and a half.

Kinda my thoughts too....we took some gambles that I think will pay off because of our late round draft position, but hell, we got Brady, Gronk, and the Vikes D....but we had to take some risks like Kelvin Benjamin at WR....and we took some trade bait at TE with Rudolph and Eifert.

(08-29-2017, 10:41 AM)Synric Wrote: I took Hill too around the bottom of our 20 round draft like 18 lol. Crazy thing is Mixon went like round 4...We as Bengals fans know that if all 3 RBs are on the team opening week Hill will be the TD vulture. 

Mixon went third in ours....and I agree with the TD vulture part....lol.  I wanted to get Dalvin Cook, but he went in the 2nd!

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 10:41 AM)Synric Wrote: I took Hill too around the bottom of our 20 round draft like 18 lol. Crazy thing is Mixon went like round 4...We as Bengals fans know that if all 3 RBs are on the team opening week Hill will be the TD vulture. 

Same here. Took him at the end of the draft... Two years ago he was the 3-4 rated guy. I'd already thought about getting rid of him. Im curious as to why some think he will have a big year this year. Because he looks determined? I know he vultures TDs in fantasy, but even with that his numbers are weak. I do trust the opinions of the couple of guys touting him, so I'm reconsidering letting him go, but I don't see it.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 10:45 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I can dig the optimism people have about Mixon, but it is interesting how often being optimistic about one player means throwing everyone else in the trash lest they get in the way of his awesomeness.  Was it really only 2 years ago when Gio, Hue, and Dalton were all going to get in the way of Hill dragging this team to the promised land?  Seems so long ago.  Now he's one of the bums getting in the way of our eventual success on the wings of Mixon.  Circle of life, and all that.
Always reminded me of this commercial:

[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 10:56 AM)jason Wrote: Same here. Took him at the end of the draft... Two years ago he was the 3-4 rated guy. I'd already thought about getting rid of him. Im curious as to why some think he will have a big year this year. Because he looks determined? I know he vultures TDs in fantasy, but even with that his numbers are weak. I do trust the opinions of the couple of guys touting him, so I'm reconsidering letting him go, but I don't see it.

Snagged him late as in a potential guy that is either going to come in start and have a good year or maybe get traded...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I think there is some good potential with him becoming a good running back someday, if not a great one. He looks to have the physical traits to succeed for sure tho.

But he is still a rookie that has yet played in a regular season game, let alone a 16 game season. We'll know more about his real potential as the season wears on. And maybe by the end of the season, I might start considering pulling out HoF names to compare him with.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 10:56 AM)jason Wrote: Same here. Took him at the end of the draft... Two years ago he was the 3-4 rated guy. I'd already thought about getting rid of him. Im curious as to why some think he will have a big year this year. Because he looks determined? I know he vultures TDs in fantasy, but even with that his numbers are weak. I do trust the opinions of the couple of guys touting him, so I'm reconsidering letting him go, but I don't see it.

For me, it's because he has gone back to just hitting the hole instead of dancing.....I know, preseason.  That said, he was dinged up last year, he is playing for a contract and his figurative life in Cincy this season.  I don't recall him even looking this good in the preseason last year.  Time will tell, but I think it's a solid pickup in the late rounds....especially when you were looking at what I was at the point in the draft....lol.

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 11:33 AM)Wyche Wrote: For me, it's because he has gone back to just hitting the hole instead of dancing.....I know, preseason.  That said, he was dinged up last year, he is playing for a contract and his figurative life in Cincy this season.  I don't recall him even looking this good in the preseason last year.  Time will tell, but I think it's a solid pickup in the late rounds....especially when you were looking at what I was at the point in the draft....lol.

Yeah, he hasn't done any dancing around behind the line. He's hitting holes hard which is good. Also noticed when he scored he just flipped the ball to the ref and and actually his teammates for opening that hole. Maybe he gets it now and matured some.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 12:11 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Yeah, he hasn't done any dancing around behind the line. He's hitting holes hard which is good. Also noticed when he scored he just flipped the ball to the ref and and actually his teammates for opening that hole. Maybe he gets it now and matured some.

I caught that too.....I hope you're right.

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 08:51 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I think he has all the makings of a star as well. And the more I think about it the more I hope they can afford to bring him along kinda slowly. (not this year)

1.) It will mean Hill and Gio are getting it done.

2.) Mixon will be a fresh ace in the hole in the back 3rd of season

3.) Rb's seem to have a pretty consistent service life in number of carries, just means he'll have a tic more in the tank when Hill and Gio are gone.

I believe the Steelers definately have been using Bell too much, i get that.

I am okay with Hill and Gio getting a lot of carries if they are getting it done.

I just truly believe that Mixon will be more than just getting it done and believe he should get the most snaps when this happens.

Hill has looked much more determined this Preseason and Gio looks great for coming off an ACL tear.

This is all good news.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 11:33 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: For me, it's because he has gone back to just hitting the hole instead of dancing.....I know, preseason.  That said, he was dinged up last year, he is playing for a contract and his figurative life in Cincy this season.  I don't recall him even looking this good in the preseason last year.  Time will tell, but I think it's a solid pickup in the late rounds....especially when you were looking at what I was at the point in the draft....lol.

Not to derail or anything, but damn my draft sucked. I went against my instincts and went BPA for the most part. I ended up with Melvin Gordon, Travis Kelce, and a bunch of flex players. Hope your right about the contract year guys as I'm sorta counting on Jarvis Landry and Hill to bounce back... Already eyeing Burkhead on a wing and a prayer, and Jacquizz Rogers as a fill in. The wife couldn't give two shits, and got in cause we were short a person. She auto drafted a way better team than mine. Julio, Zeke, and Gronk...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 06:11 PM)Synric Wrote: Everyone wants to use the Bell comparison. When I see Mixon play to me he's the spitting image of Adrian Peterson.

This is exactly how I see him

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote