Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joe Mixon, Jonah Williams show how the Bengals value contracts and commitments
(05-07-2023, 12:40 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I mentioned it on here before this guy as I’d heard about it but here you go.

Pro Football Network's Tony Pauline reports that the Jaguars and Jets have shown interest.

"We could see Cincinnati Bengals offensive tackle Jonah Williams traded this evening," Pauline wrote. "I’m told there have been discussions with several teams. The Jacksonville Jaguars had shown interest before selecting Anton Harrison in the first round yesterday. The offensive tackle-needy New York Jets are also showing interest in Williams, but the team would need about $2 million in additional cap space to accommodate the $12.6 million needed to fit Williams on the roster."

Showing interest and "having a deal that fell through" are two different things. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2023, 09:36 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Showing interest and "having a deal that fell through" are two different things. 

Well I know for a fact there were serious discussions. They couldn’t agree on compensation. Classify that how you may. But it almost got done.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Agree for the most part they've honored contracts. Feel like they were kind of stuck with Williams vs. wanting to honor his contract. His money is guaranteed and his trade value wasn't great, and it just made more sense to keep him vs. trading him for a late pick.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2023, 09:43 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Well I know for a fact there were serious discussions. They couldn’t agree on compensation. Classify that how you may. But it almost got done.

Where did you learn this info?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

It likely still comes down to specific circumstances.

Trae Waynes couldn't stay healthy, for example.

If Mixon's off field legal troubles get bad enough the Bengals may not be so loyal to his Contract.

If the Bengals felt that Jonah would never eventually accept the idea of not playing Left Tackle in 2023 then they may have felt more compelled to move him.

Should Tee Higgins sign a long term deal and soon after get a Bo Jackson level severe hip injury then he may not see his entire Contract honored.

Out of 32 NFL Teams I am not sure exactly where the Bengals would land in terms of likeliness to honor Contracts. They appear to have a better than average reputation in this area.
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2023, 08:59 PM)Housh Wrote: Bengals organization gets shit on for everything but no one ever talks about how Mike Brown is one of the few owners that try not to cut guys late in their contracts. We’ve done it more recently but for the most part when dudes sign here you can book it that they’ll finish their contract

This is why I always felt like Bates' war over guaranteed dollars was really silly because, historically, if you sign a 3 or 4 year deal with the Bengals, you'll see at least 2 of them, if not 3 of them even if you're injured, play terribly or otherwise are not worth the money. We gave Waynes 2 full years of his 3 year contract and he gave us, what, 5 games?

The only exception that I can think of right now is Preston Brown, who they signed to a 3 year extension in March 2019 and then waived him in November 2019. I'm not sure what happened there.

The Bengals don't do a lot of things the other teams do with the salary cap and contracts, which does sometimes make it harder to win when you're not going all in.

But our front office is REALLY good at not falling into emergency situations where good players need to be cut because they didn't plan their cap properly.

For example, the Bengals are currently in the middle of a massive Super Bowl window with a QB still working on his rookie deal. So are the Chargers, Eagles, and Dolphins. 

The Chargers' 2024 salary cap space is currently sitting at negative 79 million dollars.
The Browns' 2024 salary cap space (granted, their QB is on his second full contract) is currently sitting at negative 75 million dollars.
The Dolphins are at negative 35 million.
The 49ers, another team without a top paid QB, are at negative 30 million.
The Eagles finagled Hurts' extension to only be a 13M cap hit in 2024, they are still only at 5 million dollars in cap space.

The Bengals are, for the time being (prior to Higgins, Wilson, Reader and Burrow extensions), sitting at positive 66 million dollars in cap space.

That's crazy. 

The way we run our cap, we will basically never need to do that shit that New Orleans does, where they re-structure every single contract on the team and still have to cut a few good players just to be legally allowed to play the game!

I like that a lot about this front office, even if it's frustrating at times when it feels like the other teams are abusing loop holes in the system with things like void years. 
Reply/Quote