Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Joe Mixon May Hold Out
Wants a LTC now. Do you pay him? I don’t. Not unless it’s a very friendly deal. Running backs are fungible commodities. I really like Joe, but he’s replaceable. This is per Paul Dehner.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Not sure how we can be paying Gio and not be paying Mixon.
Reply/Quote
Everything was going so well, should have known...

Guess we need to draft a RB now.

Reply/Quote
well... dont let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2020, 11:14 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Everything was going so well, should have known...

Guess we need to draft a RB now.

Yeah, unless Mike's plan is to pay him. 

Reply/Quote
From The Athletic:

The Athletic's Paul Dehner writes contract-year RB Joe Mixon is "prepared for a holdout" if he and the Bengals can't agree to a long-term deal.

Mixon is headed into the final year of his rookie deal, which is set to pay him just over $1.2 million. He's obviously insanely underpaid, and Mixon knows the deal with running backs -- their shelf life is short, so he needs to capitalize when able. 24 in July, Mixon is coming off yet another 1,000-yard season after piling up a huge second half following the Week 9 bye. Mixon had 100 yards and/or one touchdown in 6-of-8 games down the stretch in 2019. However, we've seen how holdouts go with running backs. It could be a risky line to walk for Mixon. It is notable the Bengals have been willing to spend money this offseason.

Reply/Quote
The Bengals should remind Joe they took a chance on him when most teams took him completely off their board...

Reply/Quote
I have been against paying him, I am still against paying him. While I appreciate his skill there is just too much data lately that points to not paying backs. If he is willing to take somewhere in the Melvin Gordon range, say 8-9 a year, I'd consider it but anything over 9/9.5 and you are asking for a poor outcome.
Reply/Quote
We get a good qb we won’t need a great rub.

We drafted a guy last year they were excited about.

We spent mone in more important areas that run. He may be the odd man out.

I understand why he may, but it won’t bother the team too much
Reply/Quote
They can't pay him McCaffrey money.

Love Mixon, but there's no way. It is what it is.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2020, 11:07 AM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Wants a LTC now. Do you pay him? I don’t. Not unless it’s a very friendly deal. Running backs are fungible commodities. I really like Joe, but he’s replaceable. This is per Paul Dehner.

Long term deals on RB's simply aren't smart in this day and age, and we've seen several cases of buyer's remorse this off-season.  I would give him permission to seek a trade if he can find someone to pay him.  Barring that, depending on what we do with Dalton and post draft FA, I might offer him a roster bonus if he reports before week 1 along with a promise not to tag him next year.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2020, 11:43 AM)Au165 Wrote: I have been against paying him, I am still against paying him. While I appreciate his skill there is just too much data lately that points to not paying backs. If he is willing to take somewhere in the Melvin Gordon range, say 8-9 a year, I'd consider it but anything over 9/9.5 and you are asking for a poor outcome.

Agreed

Reply/Quote
Dang, just realized we should have traded him to Houston for Hopkins.
Reply/Quote
I'd offer him a 3 year extension worth 30 million in new money (that's 31.2 million over 4 years, AAV of 7.8 million) with a signing bonus of 15 million dollars spread out across the length of the extension. His cap hit would remain the same in 2020, but he'd have 15 million more dollars in his pocket right now with 15 million more to come from 2021 to 2023.

If that isn't enough for him, I say let him hold out. You really can't commit more than 8 million AAV to a running back in this league anymore. It's just too much.
Reply/Quote
Have to wonder if some of the more talented high school players start moving away from playing RB. It’s not a great position anymore financially and your tire wear is exorbitant. Most NFL RBs could have excelled at other positions if they started early enough.

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2020, 11:56 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I'd offer him a 3 year extension worth 30 million in new money (that's 31.2 million over 4 years, AAV of 7.8 million) with a signing bonus of 15 million dollars spread out across the length of the extension. His cap hit would remain the same in 2020, but he'd have 15 million more dollars in his pocket right now with 15 million more to come from 2021 to 2023.

If that isn't enough for him, I say let him hold out. You really can't commit more than 8 million AAV to a running back in this league anymore. It's just too much.

Well, Carolina just gave McCaffrey twice that. He’s not your typical RB though.

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2020, 12:01 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Well, Carolina just gave McCaffrey twice that. He’s not your typical RB though.

Yea, what is unique there is you could theoretically move him to slot receiver if the grind of carrying a full workload got too much for his body and he'd still probably be an elite slot guy.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2020, 12:01 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Well, Carolina just gave McCaffrey twice that. He’s not your typical RB though.

Just a question but first I want to say that Saquon Barkley's contract will determine Mixon's as he is next in line.  Mixon's value should be a tier below him and McCaffrey based off use and production.

My question...You state he is not your typical running back.  Do you think talent wise he is better than Mixon?

IMHO Mixon is just as good as any running back in the league talent wise.  He has the whole package.  I think he is worth the 10 million per year range, especially with a rookie QB contract.
Reply/Quote

Right. McCaffrey is 2000+ yard from scrimmage, double-digit TD guy. That's not Mixon (unless he's used differently/more).
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2020, 11:59 AM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Have to wonder if some of the more talented high school players start moving away from playing RB. It’s not a great position anymore financially and your tire wear is exorbitant. Most NFL RBs could have excelled at other positions if they started early enough.

Thing is, college coaches switch guys' positions all the time.  If coach tells a freshman or sophomore that it's play RB or ride the pine, kids are going to play RB.
Reply/Quote