Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joe Mixon/Speed on Offense
No denying that Joe Mixon is a good running back. He has shown that. You also can't deny his energy and what he brings to this team.

That being said, I think Joe is beat up. He has looked slow the past few weeks, really since he took that hit/got injured in the Chargers? game. Am I the only one seeing this? It just looks like he's missing a burst.

With that being said, I think there is an element that this offense is missing - and it's speed. Tee and Tyler are great, and Jamar has proven himself as a downfield guy, but I really think this offense could benefit from a true burner out of the backfield.

We do have Chris Evans, but I'm not sure he has that speed. He ran a 4.56 at the combine - not super great. I hope we invest in a true running back this off-season to take some of the load off of Joe and to open up some plays to take advantage of speed out of the backfield.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
I think Mixon is working through his injury. There were some openings in the defense that he normally squeezes through, but he could only convert them into 4 to 5 yard runs where the hole collapsed in on him. Perine having the biggest run of the day is a testament to that as well. I wouldn't mind if they rested him for a game or two but I fear the offense will really suffer if Perine is the only threat out of the backfield (Evans is great, but he is getting very limited looks and hasn't shown he can produce as a runner yet). Teams already don't stack the box against us and Perine back there is a way to guarantee light boxes all game (And the inability to convert them into rushing yards). Mixon is our best option at the moment so I just hope he nurses his injuries and comes back strong in these last 3 games. We're gonna need him if we hope to make the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2021, 11:44 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I think Mixon is working through his injury. There were some openings in the defense that he normally squeezes through, but he could only convert them into 4 to 5 yard runs where the hole collapsed in on him. Perine having the biggest run of the day is a testament to that as well. I wouldn't mind if they rested him for a game or two but I fear the offense will really suffer if Perine is the only threat out of the backfield (Evans is great, but he is getting very limited looks and hasn't shown he can produce as a runner yet). Teams already don't stack the box against us and Perine back there is a way to guarantee light boxes all game (And the inability to convert them into rushing yards). Mixon is our best option at the moment so I just hope he nurses his injuries and comes back strong in these last 3 games. We're gonna need him if we hope to make the playoffs.

I agree and that can be seen as they are giving him days off on practice days, to let things rest-up.

He was walking just fine -normal speed and no limp- after the game, so He probably just needs to rest it again.

BTW, I don't think he's looked slow in the slightest; he isn't breaking arm tackles as easily and is slipping/tripping a lot (he tripped over Sample and slipped TWICE in the first half yesterday. Changed cleats at halftime {or got extra tape or something} and he didn't slip anymore after that) lately.

Just rest him on practice days.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2021, 11:54 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I agree and that can be seen as they are giving him days off on practice days, to let things rest-up.

He was walking just fine -normal speed and no limp- after the game, so He probably just needs to rest it again.

BTW, I don't think he's looked slow in the slightest; he isn't breaking arm tackles as easily and is slipping/tripping a lot (he tripped over Sample and slipped TWICE in the first half yesterday. Changed cleats at halftime {or got extra tape or something} and he didn't slip anymore after that) lately.

Maybe that's what I was seeing yesterday then. All I know is I saw several holes that Mixon usually turns into 10 to 20 yard runs but he was only getting 5 yards on them, which I thought was bizarre. I attributed it to him not getting through the hole before it closed due to speed, but maybe it was just slips and trips that held him back yesterday.
Reply/Quote
He could not get the corner, but I'm not sure if that was him or the defense.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2021, 11:54 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I agree and that can be seen as they are giving him days off on practice days, to let things rest-up.

Do the Broncos have a natural field? He seems to do this a lot on natural turf. He was doing it in the Raiders game as well. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2021, 12:37 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Do the Broncos have a natural field? He seems to do this a lot on natural turf. He was doing it in the Raiders game as well. 

Bingo:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empower_Field_at_Mile_High
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Mixon is only 16 carries from tying his career-high carries in a season.
There are still 3 games left.
If he continues his current pace (18.7 carries per game) and can play the remaining games, he's going to pass 300 carries easily.
Only Jonathan Taylor and maybe Najee Harris are going to hit the 300 mark.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2021, 12:38 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Bingo:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empower_Field_at_Mile_High

Well that is what warm ups are for. They are supposed to be running and cutting prior to the game, in conjunction with the equipment managers, to see what size cleat they need to use.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2021, 11:28 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: No denying that Joe Mixon is a good running back. He has shown that. You also can't deny his energy and what he brings to this team.

That being said, I think Joe is beat up. He has looked slow the past few weeks, really since he took that hit/got injured in the Chargers? game. Am I the only one seeing this? It just looks like he's missing a burst.

With that being said, I think there is an element that this offense is missing - and it's speed. Tee and Tyler are great, and Jamar has proven himself as a downfield guy, but I really think this offense could benefit from a true burner out of the backfield.

We do have Chris Evans, but I'm not sure he has that speed. He ran a 4.56 at the combine - not super great. I hope we invest in a true running back this off-season to take some of the load off of Joe and to open up some plays to take advantage of speed out of the backfield.

Definitely need to give Evans and Perine some more snaps and rest Mixon up a bit for the Playoffs.

Agree on adding a speedy back in the Draft as well Weezy. Exciting as we haven't been looking at RB's much the last 
few Drafts. Always look forward to looking at RB's come Draft time. My favorite position to assess.
Reply/Quote
Mixon definitely looked off against Denver.Seems like he stumbles,and gets off balance pretty easily.Of course he’s pretty much always done that.I sure would like to see more of Evans.Especially in the passing game.
Reply/Quote

Mixon has been low key really good in the passing game this season. That long bomb he caught against Baltimore at the end of the game is about as good as it gets for a RB.

Reply/Quote