Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Joe Mixon is a Bengal
(05-02-2017, 01:33 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: You're right. It's heavy subject matter. The drafting of Mixon almost ensures that JN will look like PnR for awhile.

Which I love. Because I just love PnR.  Sarcasm

So I notice that P&R is Locked with a Password.

Is that because it gets really Wild with all kinds coming out of the Woodwork with Hard opinions ?

I can't even read what people are saying there so it looks to me like it is a Password just to view, let alone Post on P & R.
Reply/Quote
What if Mixon was a huge movie fan and when he came into Cincy for the first time reenacted his favorite scene from the movie?

Mixon's in town!

....too soon?
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2017, 02:09 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: He took a plea deal that included a one year deferred sentence, community service and counseling. Since he didn't violate his probation and completed his community service and counseling, he was able to have the 1 year sentence waived after the probation ended.

Jail time may have been on the table if he had gone to court for Assault 1 or Assault 2 (likely 2, as he did break bones), but I suspect the prosecutor wanted to settle because there would undeniably be people on the jury that have the opinion of self defense justifying or lessening his offense. That's a case that, while you may be 85% sure will be a conviction, always has the risk factor of the jury. 

I've read (and seen) that prosecutors will often take the sure thing lesser sentence than risk the higher sentence to an opinionated jury, especially in cases like this that obviously have grey space. Regardless of who the defendant is.

According to this website, when asked what the jail time for breaking bones in a fight is, the responses ranged from 3 to 9 months if convicted of Assault 2. If pled down to Assault 3, 1 to 3 months of jail or community service and fines. In many cases, first time offenders (which is what Joe was) often avoid jail time.

https://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/what-is-the-penalty-for-assulting-punching-someone-893110.html

Specifically, there was one excerpt that sounds uncannily familiar to this case:

" ...the defendant, might be able to work out some sort of a compromise of a misdemeanor where you cover any medical bills, pay a filing fee, and write say a letter of apology and if the court grants your motion the case could be dismissed. There are numerous options for a first time assault and many times if it is a gross misdemeanor, non domestic violence, type assault a combination of community service and an anger management assessment and class will help you work out a resolution whereby you keep the whole incident off your record."

So, despite the bone breaking putting it into Assault 2 or 3, if he pled down to a gross misdemeanor, the punishment seems in line with the typical punishment a regular citizen would get.

I don't think him being a ball player had all that much to do with his sentencing. Maybe he avoided a month or 2 in jail, but certainly not "serious" jail time.

As far as the justice system is concerned, he served the punishment that was deemed appropriate for his offense.
I just don't think that a cab driver or factory worker would have gotten a plea deal on a serious hospitalizationof a female. Assault 1 probably, 2 at best. Maybe he will change, I hope that he has. Do you know if there's any truth to him aiming a car at someone, as to run them down? If that is also true, I don't understand his defenders. Maybe it's not true?
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2017, 02:45 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I just don't think that a cab driver or factory worker would have gotten a plea deal on a serious hospitalizationof a female. Assault 1 probably, 2 at best. Maybe he will change, I hope that he has. Do you know if there's any truth to him aiming a car at someone, as to run them down? If that is also true, I don't understand his defenders. Maybe it's not true?

I think the story was related to that thing with the parking attendant. After getting a ticket and ripping it up, he supposedly revved his engine at her or something.

He has anger issues, that's for sure.

Exactly why I didn't want him around Pacman. They'll likely feed off of each other's irrational anger.

http://kfor.com/2016/11/04/documents-detail-altercation-between-ous-joe-mixon-and-parking-attendant/
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2017, 03:30 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I think the story was related to that thing with the parking attendant. After getting a ticket and ripping it up, he supposedly revved his engine at her or something.

He has anger issues, that's for sure.

Exactly why I didn't want him around Pacman. They'll likely feed off of each other's irrational anger.

http://kfor.com/2016/11/04/documents-detail-altercation-between-ous-joe-mixon-and-parking-attendant/
So, the parking attendant was a woman too? That shows a pattern to me. The Bengals share in responsibility with him going forward. I don't like the pick, strictly on character questions. I'll leave it at that.
Reply/Quote
Couldn't be more happy about this pick. Mixon has a real chance to be great. If he keeps his nose clean and produces on the field he can use his platform to raise awareness about domestic violence.

Why do you think the best motivational speakers are former drug addicts and trouble makers. It is because they have hit rock bottom, lived it, and can truly speak from there heart about issues. Joe Mixon was a kid that made an awful mistake but greatness comes from the trials and tribulations of life.

I will be rooting for him to become a great man first, and if he is a great player that is a bonus.
Reply/Quote