Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joe Mixon next season?
(01-09-2024, 06:39 PM)wanga Wrote: By committee I think he can still be a valuable contributor. Not sure of his financial hit though.

He'll have a total cap hit of 8.85m.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2024, 08:38 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I have thought the difference was just personnel based. It isn't often you see a team come out in shotgun with one WR and two TE or even two WRs. The most common personnel grouping in shotgun is 13, so the defense is typically playing with an extra DB and there's a little more space to work with. Compare that to under center where you may see some extra TE looks and three linebackers on the field it's a bit harder to run against. 

As for explosives being higher, I think that is a product of the varied looks you get from under center. You can attack the edges easier, for example. Edge runs produce a higher rate of big plays, but also lose yardage more often than a run up the middle. 

All this being said, it has just been strange to see so many people talking about how good Mixon is under center when there is virtually nothing to back it up. That isn't to say it's his fault, to be clear. That's not meant as a dog on him or anything.

I didn't think you were trying to dog him. I had seen the stat earlier about him being better in his career in shotgun. You may have a good point about the different personnel packages playing a factor. More players at the line brings more defenders down and if your blocking isn't good across the board then your just making it harder on yourself.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2024, 08:39 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: He'll have a total cap hit of 8.85m.

And a cap savings of $6.1m if he's cut before March 16th.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2024, 04:43 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Mixon's salary is only $2.2M in 2024. However, he does have a roster bonus of $3M that comes due March 19th.

6 million in savings if they cut him. That's where I'm at.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2024, 08:39 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: He'll have a total cap hit of 8.85m.

But a dead cap hit of 2.75mil so really it's just the difference. But that's probably the real question/answer as to whether Mixon will be back next year. Does anyone see Mike Brown letting a player go who has stayed healthy and played and eating a 2.75mil dollar loss?
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2024, 09:05 PM)jason Wrote: 6 million in savings if they cut him. That's where I'm at.

That might change my opinion a bit.
Reply/Quote
What I don't get is folks acting like we need to save cap space for some reason. We have around $70 mil at present. Top 5-6 in the league.
Mixon had a decent year. Over 70 at PFF. 1,000 yards. Decent receiving numbers.

We are not gonna cut Mixon to create cap space we don't really need. He was much better than Jonah or Boyd, and better than Chido, and makes less than any of those guys did last year. We are not gonna cut Cappa or BJ Hill or Karras either. Those guys were productive players.

WR2, WR3, RT, NT, and TE should be the priorities. We have large gaping hopes in the starting lineup in those spots.

In terms of upgrades, I'd start at punter. CB & safety play could be better, but I think we stay with Dax Hill & Turner at first and priortize a DT (3T) big fish in FA. Along with bringing Tee & Reader back.

After we either hit or miss there, the Tier 2 decisions get made on Jonah (no) and Boyd/Chido (if we have $$ and it is reasonable/discounted) and if we pursue another new face instead (TE, S, CB).

But this draft is deep at OT. I think Fuaga or Mims is gettable at #18. And guys like Paul, Guyton, Morgan, and the kid from BYU later. Hell, Latham could drop.

My dream FA is:
1. Tee & Reader back
2. One big fish FA (DT 1st, secondary 2nd)
3. 1 of Chido/Boyd or a new FA at sim $$$
4. Hudson & ADG back.
5. Browning, D. Sample back.
6. Tupou for NT insurance..
---that is probably 1 too many significant FAs with Chase'sxextension.

Draft from there.
Rd 1: Fuaga
Then it depends on what happened in FA..
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2024, 08:38 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I have thought the difference was just personnel based. It isn't often you see a team come out in shotgun with one WR and two TE or even two WRs. The most common personnel grouping in shotgun is 13, so the defense is typically playing with an extra DB and there's a little more space to work with. Compare that to under center where you may see some extra TE looks and three linebackers on the field it's a bit harder to run against. 

As for explosives being higher, I think that is a product of the varied looks you get from under center. You can attack the edges easier, for example. Edge runs produce a higher rate of big plays, but also lose yardage more often than a run up the middle. 

All this being said, it has just been strange to see so many people talking about how good Mixon is under center when there is virtually nothing to back it up. That isn't to say it's his fault, to be clear. That's not meant as a dog on him or anything.

OL stance is important. 3 point stance the better run blocking stance because they can convert more speed to power. 2 point stance the OL doesn't have to uncork before they kickslide and get on their anchor. You see more 3 point from undercenter and 2 point in shotgun. Now they do mix and like RPOs you will see the play side guard and possibly the tackle in a 3 point with the backside pair in a 2 point. 

Edit: And I think you meant 11 lol.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2024, 10:38 PM)Synric Wrote: OL stance is important. 3 point stance the better run blocking stance because they can convert more speed to power. 2 point stance the OL doesn't have to uncork before they kickslide and get on their anchor. You see more 3 point from undercenter and 2 point in shotgun. Now they do mix and like RPOs you will see the play side guard and possibly the tackle in a 3 point with the backside pair in a 2 point. 

Edit: And I think you meant 11 lol.

I did mean 11, thanks. I've been playing this football simulation recently and it labels the package as 113 and the 13 is what came to mind. 
Reply/Quote
His roster bonus is guaranteed on the 5th day of league year. At least we won't be waiting around like last year to figure out if he's kept or cut.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote