Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joe Mixon remains the riskiest player in this year's NFL Draft
Joe Mixon is supremely talented. Uniquely skilled. Absolutely qualified.

He is also extremely risky.

There is no doubt the former Oklahoma running back can excel on an NFL field. He's got the speed and strength and skills to be not only one of the best tailbacks in this draft class but also in the league.

But any team considering picking him in the NFL Draft, which begins Thursday, should have serious reservations — and not just because of the punch.

It's because Mixon is prone to moments of immaturity.

The evidence goes well beyond Mixon slugging fellow OU student Amelia Molitor three years ago. While you could argue Mixon was then a teenager who made a very, very bad mistake that night on Campus Corner, it isn't the only red flag.

Remember that run-in with the on-campus parking attendant?

Under normal circumstances, such an incident wouldn't even register. No one was injured. No harm. No foul. But two years after Mixon punched a woman, he tore up a parking ticket and tossed it at another person. That smacks of disrespect and disregard for others.

As people age and mature, disrespect and disregard wane. We know better. We act right.

Not Mixon.

And don't forget, this is a guy who knew he was on a short leash at OU. Bob Stoops and his superiors gave Mixon a second chance after a year-long suspension post-punch, but he had to keep his nose completely clean or else. Instead of thinking about consequences he might face or team success he might jeopardize, he acted on impulse and instinct.

Not mature.

Neither are some of the choices that Mixon has made since declaring himself eligible for the draft. Frankly, I think entering the draft was smart, but his team of advisers has some headscratchers, starting with his agent. While I admit I have never talked with Peter Schaffer, any desire to do so evaporated after reading the transcript of the interview that he did with the Sports Animal. He was combative. He was bizarre.

The last thing Mixon needs is a front man who's combative and bizarre. They need to be contrite about what happened. Win over people. Change the narrative. Instead, you are left to wonder about Mixon even more.

Frankly, that's only exacerbated by how little Mixon interacted with the outside world after his suspension. He was sheltered by the team. He was limited with the media.

And that put any sliver of access under a microscope.

On OU's Pro Day, for example, Mixon was one of the Sooners going through drills. Players went from station to station, oftentimes having to change shoes or add gear depending on what drill they were doing. At one point, a drill was starting, but Mixon was nowhere to be found.

A couple moments later, he ran over saying something about needing tape for his gloves.

That's all good and fine, but Mixon knew exactly what he would be doing at Pro Day and precisely what he would need. Why didn't he have everything?

And second, since he wasn't invited to the NFL Combine, Pro Day was his big opportunity to show what he could do. At that point, it was his one and only guaranteed job interview. If you only had one shot to get a job that you've been dreaming about all your life, wouldn't you make sure every lace was tied and every snap was secured?

I'm not bringing this up because I wish ill on Mixon. Quite the opposite.

Whatever team drafts Mixon — and we know one will because of his feet and hands, his cuts and catches — must take steps to counteract his lapses in judgment. Put his locker amid seasoned veterans. Assign him a security team like Dallas did with Dez Bryant a few years back. Give him a strict set of guidelines for off-field conduct. That might seem extreme, but any team that takes a chance on him in the draft, then gives him a boatload of money should want to protect its investment.

Joe Mixon is a splendid talent who could have a long career in the NFL.

But Joe Mixon has also proven at times to be an immature young man who's about to have millions of dollars in his bank account. Every 20-year-old has some level of immaturity, but few have the resources or the scrutiny that he's soon to have.

Here's hoping his new team is willing to help him and engage in risk management.
Jenni Carlson: Jenni can be reached at (405) 475-4125 or jcarlson@oklahoman.com. Like her at facebook.com/JenniCarlsonOK, follow her at twitter.com/jennicarlson_ok or view her personality page at newsok.com/jennicarlson.

http://newsok.com/article/5547042
Reply/Quote
Got mad at a parking ticket. Didnt accept physical assault from a stranger. And had nervous reaction during a big job interview.

WOw$!$!! So inhuman of him. Are we sure he isnt an alien spy. I dont know anybody that would defend themselves, get mad at a parking ticket, or act nervous during a job interview
Reply/Quote
I've flipped out over tickets before. That doesn't particularly concern me.

We shall see. Hopefully Mixon gravitates more towards Dalton, Green, and Bernard and not so much Pacman and Burfict.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 11:56 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Joe Mixon is supremely talented. Uniquely skilled. Absolutely qualified.

There is no doubt the former Oklahoma running back can excel on an NFL field. He's got the speed and strength and skills to be not only one of the best tailbacks in this draft class but also in the league.

But any team considering picking him in the NFL Draft, which begins Thursday, should have serious reservations — and not just because of the punch.

The evidence goes well beyond Mixon slugging fellow OU student Amelia Molitor three years ago. While you could argue Mixon was then a teenager who made a very, very bad mistake that night on Campus Corner, it isn't the only red flag.

Under normal circumstances, such an incident wouldn't even register. No one was injured. No harm. No foul. But two years after Mixon punched a woman, he tore up a parking ticket and tossed it at another person. That smacks of disrespect and disregard for others.

As people age and mature, disrespect and disregard wane. We know better. We act right.

Not Mixon.

And don't forget, this is a guy who knew he was on a short leash at OU. Bob Stoops and his superiors gave Mixon a second chance after a year-long suspension post-punch, but he had to keep his nose completely clean or else. Instead of thinking about consequences he might face or team success he might jeopardize, he acted on impulse and instinct.

Not mature.

Neither are some of the choices that Mixon has made since declaring himself eligible for the draft. Frankly, I think entering the draft was smart, but his team of advisers has some headscratchers, starting with his agent. While I admit I have never talked with Peter Schaffer, any desire to do so evaporated after reading the transcript of the interview that he did with the Sports Animal. He was combative. He was bizarre.

The last thing Mixon needs is a front man who's combative and bizarre. They need to be contrite about what happened. Win over people. Change the narrative. Instead, you are left to wonder about Mixon even more.

Frankly, that's only exacerbated by how little Mixon interacted with the outside world after his suspension. He was sheltered by the team. He was limited with the media.

On OU's Pro Day, for example, Mixon was one of the Sooners going through drills. Players went from station to station, oftentimes having to change shoes or add gear depending on what drill they were doing. At one point, a drill was starting, but Mixon was nowhere to be found.

A couple moments later, he ran over saying something about needing tape for his gloves.

That's all good and fine, but Mixon knew exactly what he would be doing at Pro Day and precisely what he would need. Why didn't he have everything?

And second, since he wasn't invited to the NFL Combine, Pro Day was his big opportunity to show what he could do. At that point, it was his one and only guaranteed job interview. If you only had one shot to get a job that you've been dreaming about all your life, wouldn't you make sure every lace was tied and every snap was secured?

Whatever team drafts Mixon — and we know one will because of his feet and hands, his cuts and catches — must take steps to counteract his lapses in judgment. Put his locker amid seasoned veterans. Assign him a security team like Dallas did with Dez Bryant a few years back. Give him a strict set of guidelines for off-field conduct. That might seem extreme, but any team that takes a chance on him in the draft, then gives him a boatload of money should want to protect its investment.

But Joe Mixon has also proven at times to be an immature young man who's about to have millions of dollars in his bank account. Every 20-year-old has some level of immaturity, but few have the resources or the scrutiny that he's soon to have.

Here's hoping his new team is willing to help him and engage in risk management.
Jenni Carlson: Jenni can be reached at (405) 475-4125 or jcarlson@oklahoman.com. Like her at facebook.com/JenniCarlsonOK, follow her at twitter.com/jennicarlson_ok or view her personality page at newsok.com/jennicarlson.

So basically, besides the punch 3 years ago, he got mad at getting a parking ticket and he forgot the tape for his gloves, and that's supposed to mean he hasn't changed.  Also, the author of this article doesn't like his agent, and that apparently means Mixon hasn't changed. This is weak.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Was told by a sooner booster tonight that he had a high GPA, doesn't drink or do drugs and could have started at WR for them with some of the best hands on the team.

Assuming you didn't write that, sounds like some serious click bait to me.

Here's to a productive career at PBS.
Reply/Quote
Witch hunt

Reply/Quote
Remains biggest risk, because that article? The writer expects him to mature in three years, from 19-22? Hell, some people don't mature until they are 35, the pre frontal cortex doesn't even fully develop until your mid-twenties! The guy had a horrible moment, maybe he is a POS, maybe not and can recover from it!

Do we all want to be judged from our worst days? our worst moment? Give redemption a chance!
Reply/Quote
My main concern at this point is this:

Can Marvin et Al. Provide the necessary boundaries to hold him accountable? Or is the ambience of tolerance going to bring out more impulsivity? Only time will tell. From purely a football stand point he high risk reward type. He certainly isn't the only athlete that has high risk in this draft. To say he is biggest risk is pure speculation.

Do I like Mike Brown's humanistic approach in obtaining players with red flags? No. Do I own an NFL team? No.

As a fan it's frustrating. But Mixon was the right pick for what the Bengals plan this year. It seems they want to bring safeties in the box and stretch the field.

I have endured Mike Brown for decades. I am a Bengals fan for life. It is what it is. I will root for the team, including Mixon. I want Mixon to be all pro. I want him to be the best at his craft.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Definitely anyone who rips up a parking lot ticket should have to be locked up and do 20 years on a chain gang.. 
That's it..I'm going to go turn myself in to Sinclair Community College security personnel for skipping out on paying for free parking 30 years ago and take my lumps..  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 12:45 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: My main concern at this point is this:

Can Marvin et Al. Provide the necessary boundaries to hold him accountable?  Or is the ambience of tolerance going to bring out more impulsivity?  Only time will tell.  From purely a football stand point he high risk reward type.  He certainly isn't the only athlete that has high risk in this draft.  To say he is biggest risk is pure speculation.    

Do I like Mike Brown's humanistic approach in obtaining players with red flags?  No.  Do I own an NFL team? No.

As a fan it's frustrating.  But Mixon was the right pick for what the Bengals plan this year.  It seems they want to bring safeties in the box and stretch the field.

I have endured Mike Brown for decades.  I am a Bengals fan for life.  It is what it is.  I will root for the team, including Mixon.  I want Mixon to be all pro. I want him to be the best at his craft.

Here here! I want every single player on the team to be ultimately successful.  I do not and never will root against any Bengals player as long as they're in stripes. Once they leave and play elsewhere I could care less if they wash out on day one. 
This is my way of saying that I am emphatically NOT rooting for Rex Burkhead to win didly squat with New England.. He doesn't play for the Bengals anymore. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Worst part is almost over. Bengals took him, will be ridiculed for it, then will be forgotten when some other story comes along. The stigma was already there for the Bengals, so they one of the few teams that could afford to make this pick.
Reply/Quote
How tho? He had an isolated incident and already served his punishment

Please let's not act like he's Pacman
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 11:56 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Joe Mixon is supremely talented. Uniquely skilled. Absolutely qualified.

Not Mixon.

Not mature.

More risky than the player accused of RAPE who went in Round One  ???
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
That article is about a whole lot of nothin.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 12:05 AM)Big Boss Wrote: I've flipped out over tickets before.  That doesn't particularly concern me.

We shall see.  Hopefully Mixon gravitates more towards Dalton, Green, and Bernard and not so much Pacman and Burfict.

Grouping Burfict with Ten Chances is absurd.  Name one single off field issue he has ever had as a Bengal.  People need to stop saying goofy shit like that.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 01:55 AM)grampahol Wrote: Definitely anyone who rips up a parking lot ticket should have to be locked up and do 20 years on a chain gang.. 
That's it..I'm going to go turn myself in to Sinclair Community College security personnel for skipping out on paying for free parking 30 years ago and take my lumps..  

I know, right?  I have ignored at least 3 parking tickets on my local college campus.
Reply/Quote
I will preface this by saying I didn't want Mixon, and I would have rather gone with Dalvin Cook. I don't care if Mixon is better and that is debatable, but I just wanted it to be some other team that gave him the second chance. You don't have to agree with me, but that is my stance. I will deal with him being here and hope he is a model citizen.

However, I disagree with the statement about him being the biggest risk. The biggest risk to me is players like Tim Williams from Alabama that was a supreme talent but couldn't stop failing drug tests in college. Those guys won't be able to play in the NFL. Look at the wasted talent of guys like Josh Gordon. You can't make plays if you are suspended.

Mixon isn't the biggest risk, he is the worst PR selection, and for some reason the Bengals seem to love that attention.
Reply/Quote
I still say, a guy up for RAPE charges went in Round One to a team. Murder and Rape far worse than Mixon. Not saying Mixon right but seeing the tape I also see this gal lost it and was just in everybody's face. I can't hear what she is saying. In my life I have seen batch girls that love to start fights everywhere they go. If you haven't, you haven't been around. Could be this was a gal that was trying to get guys to fight and she got caught in her game. She doesn't look sweet and innocent on tape to me as she provoked the whole thing. There are some very manish women out there trying to be more man than most men and say things worse than any man. If tape showed what she is saying, no telling what filth she was saying as she ran her mouth a long time. ....I'm not saying what Mixon did right, but try to remember a guy up for RAPE went in round one to a team. I would say that guy worse and riskiest pick......Bengals interviewed Mixon a few times before draft. They did their homework on this.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 09:20 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Mixon isn't the biggest risk, he is the worst PR selection

This.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 04:59 AM)McC Wrote: Grouping Burfict with Ten Chances is absurd.  Name one single off field issue he has ever had as a Bengal.  People need to stop saying goofy shit like that.

That is a fair point.  I know Burfict has had lapses in judgment on the field, but I shouldn't have lumped him in the same category as Jones.  

Still, if Mixon sticks with Dalton, Green and Bernard, he should be fine.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote