Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joe Mixon's Foot - Bungle Med Staff at it Again?
(11-13-2020, 09:06 PM)Mer Wrote: I've never understood the love for Mixon on this board. Now I'm not saying he's trash but what has he really done that makes him a great running back? Yes the offensive line stinks but the truly great RBs still find away to "get skinny" and create their own holes from time to time. I don't recall ever seeing Mixon do that. And when was the last time he broke a long run and out ran someone to the end zone?

Pretty weird thing to not understand. Mixon led the AFC in rushing a couple years ago behind an absolute trash OL, and had back-to-back 1100 yard seasons. Idk that he’s quite “the best RB in the league” that Belichick called him at one point, but he’s probably still top 10 when healthy.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-14-2020, 12:14 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Pretty weird thing to not understand. Mixon led the AFC in rushing a couple years ago behind an absolute trash OL, and had back-to-back 1100 yard seasons. Idk that he’s quite “the best RB in the league” that Belichick called him at one point, but he’s probably still top 10 when healthy.

Mixon does seem to do his damage in spurts though... He'll be damn near invisible for weeks then have a monster game. When you watch him every week, it's hard to believe that he has the yardage he does by the end of the season.

To the OP... I don't think this has anything to do with the medical staff. He needs to quit gettin' tackled or something though.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
EVERY team in thre NFL struggles with injuries. EVERY team in the NFL has guys that don't recover immediately.

I don't know why people act like the Bengals are different from other teams when it comes to this.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2020, 09:21 PM)Tony Wrote: Unfortunately,  hes another one of the Dunlap type guys.. Beat the hell out of Jags and the browns and not even be on the radar against good competition...
Does Mixon even have a run over 50 in his career? I know Gio does... Seriously, Mixon isn't much better than Gio if at all...

This is a bad take man. Gio has a long of 89 in his 3rd season but outside of that year his next longest run in any year is only 35 yards. Mixon has ran 51, 41, and 34. So really no different as far as what you consider a home run hitter back. 

Mixon also catches around 80% of his targets on receptions and averaged 4.9ypc in his 2nd year. It's not like Gio hasn't had a chance to be the primary back but as we've seen, it's hard to hold up physically in the NFL when you're that kind of back. 

Gio is a superior blocker but that's really the only thing he does better. Now if we're talking about should we have paid either the amount that they are that's a different story.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2020, 12:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: EVERY team in thre NFL struggles with injuries.  EVERY team in the NFL has guys that don't recover immediately.

I don't know why people act like the Bengals are different from other teams when it comes to this.

Just like the Bengals are the only team to get unfair penalties called or get discussed negatively in the media. Notice it's often the same people.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2020, 09:59 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I usually agree with you guys but I don't understand Mixon or Gio hate behind this O-line.

And the only thing Gio is better at than Mixon is picking up the blitz which Gio is elite at. 

Mixon can truck defenders and has just as good of hands as Gio. If used as a pass catcher more there isn't a more dynamic 
RB in the NFL than Mixon. He is great after the catch, has great hands, elusiveness and can go through defenders unlike Gio.

But right now, I stick with Gio while the Offense is rolling. Doesn't take shit away from Mixon IMO.

Roll with the hot hand.

I wasn't trying to put Mixon down. As someone earlier said he seems to get his yardage in spurts. I just don't feel the opposing team makes a game plan to stop Mixon. He's just not that consistent of a threat week to week. I'd love for him to come out the rest of the year and prove me wrong but unfortunately he just hasn't yet. 
Reply/Quote
Mixon has some games that are far better than others, but so does this O-line. I have seen the threads calling for them to be thrown in the trash truck to , "they have turned the corner." When the O-line is towards the bottom of the league, you usually don't have great rushing totals.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2020, 05:58 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Cook otoh is playing like a madman after getting paid. The universe just hates us.

Right? If we had taken him, he'd probably be out of the league injured. I wanted Cook in that draft...but he'd probably have been jinxed here.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-14-2020, 06:19 PM)Wyche Wrote: Right? If we had taken him, he'd probably be out of the league injured. I wanted Cook in that draft...but he'd probably have been jinxed here.

Difference is Dalvin Cook has been highly productive whenever he plays.

He's never had a season of less than 4.5 YPC, so the talent was never in question.

Meanwhile Mixon has only had 1 season of over 4.1 YPC and he's on his 2nd season of 3.6 YPC or less. (Not even mentioning that after 12 games in 2019, he was at 3.5 YPC). Also while his injuries before now haven't been as serious as Cook's Mixon also has been hurt and missed multiple games in 3/4 seasons.

It's bad enough to overlook one red flag when giving a big contract. Two is just reckless.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2020, 08:23 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Difference is Dalvin Cook has been highly productive whenever he plays.

He's never had a season of less than 4.5 YPC, so the talent was never in question.

Meanwhile Mixon has only had 1 season of over 4.1 YPC and he's on his 2nd season of 3.6 YPC or less. (Not even mentioning that after 12 games in 2019, he was at 3.5 YPC). Also while his injuries before now haven't been as serious as Cook's Mixon also has been hurt and missed multiple games in 3/4 seasons.

It's bad enough to overlook one red flag when giving a big contract. Two is just reckless.

It's hard to compare running backs unless they're playing on the same team. So much of their success is dependent on the Oline. Darvin Cooks backup the last 2 years also has averaged over 4.5ypc so what does that tell you? 

Ezekiel Elliot didn't randomly go from a 4.5ypc back for 4 years to a 3.8 because he can't run anymore. They went from having one of the best Olines to a Bengal like Oline. He's now getting hit in the backfield like Mixon has had to suffer with the last 3 years vs when he would be to the 2nd level before being touched the previous years. 
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2020, 12:56 AM)TheFan Wrote: It's hard to compare running backs unless they're playing on the same team. So much of their success is dependent on the Oline. Darvin Cooks backup the last 2 years also has averaged over 4.5ypc so what does that tell you? 

Ezekiel Elliot didn't randomly go from a 4.5ypc back for 4 years to a 3.8 because he can't run anymore. They went from having one of the best Olines to a Bengal like Oline. He's now getting hit in the backfield like Mixon has had to suffer with the last 3 years vs when he would be to the 2nd level before being touched the previous years. 

That if you have a good OL, you don't need to pay a RB because anyone half decent will be good.

Also that if you have a bad OL, you don't need to pay a RB because even a good RB will be bad.

- - - -
Elliott was always a bit overrated, running behind an OL with 3 All-Pros. His best feature was he was a workhorse, being able to hold up to 24 touches per game. That contract was always going to be a failure because you can't keep an OL together for eternity, doubly so for one that good while you're paying your RB $15m/yr.

Reply/Quote
(11-15-2020, 02:00 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: That if you have a good OL, you don't need to pay a RB because anyone half decent will be good.

Also that if you have a bad OL, you don't need to pay a RB because even a good RB will be bad.

- - - -
Elliott was always a bit overrated, running behind an OL with 3 All-Pros. His best feature was he was a workhorse, being able to hold up to 24 touches per game. That contract was always going to be a failure because you can't keep an OL together for eternity, doubly so for one that good while you're paying your RB $15m/yr.

Exactly. So why is it being held against Mixon that our Oline is absolute trash and has been basically since he's been on the team. Or comparing him to Cook when they have mostly had a good Oline since he's been with them. You and I both know it's just as much the Oline who makes a back good as it is actual skill. 

Again, I'm not talking about if we should have paid either Mixon or Gio what we did - I think both deals weren't good. But both are top tier backs behind a good Oline. 
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2020, 03:00 AM)TheFan Wrote: Exactly. So why is it being held against Mixon that our Oline is absolute trash and has been basically since he's been on the team. Or comparing him to Cook when they have mostly had a good Oline since he's been with them. You and I both know it's just as much the Oline who makes a back good as it is actual skill. 

Again, I'm not talking about if we should have paid either Mixon or Gio what we did - I think both deals weren't good. But both are top tier backs behind a good Oline. 

Because he doesn't do himself any favors in trying to get success.

His running style is an attempt at recreating Le'Veon Bell's with the hesitations and the like rather than attacking and instantly moving forward.

The problem is Le'Veon Bell was only able to do that because he had an OL that was allowed to hold all day long as much as they wanted without penalty. Just look at what happened when he tried to do that running style with the Jets and the Chiefs... it has failed horribly with both.

Joe Mixon is a 6'1, 220lb RB. He needs to run forward and with more authority. He doesn't get nearly enough broken tackles for a back his size, and that IS something that you can compare regardless of OL.

Since 2018 (how long they have stats for)...
Joe Mixon: 19.2 RPBT (rushes per broken tackle)
Frank Gore: 16.5 RPBT 
Nick Chubb: 9.0 RPBT 
Ezekiel Elliott: 14.0 RPBT 
Dalvin Cook: 10.8 RPBT
Christian McCaffrey: 14.1 RPBT 
Derrick Henry: 8.8 RPBT 
Saquon Barkley: 10.6 RPBT 

That's pretty terrible. When you figure over that span, Mixon is averaging 17.6 carries per game. That means he averages well under 1 broken tackle per game.

(Giovani Bernard: 14.9 RPBT in a much smaller carry sample size than anyone else listed above, but figured it was worth noting. I wish they had these numbers for years further back. I would have loved to see early 2010s Marshawn Lynch numbers.)

Reply/Quote
(11-13-2020, 07:11 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: What about John Ross's fantom foot injury? He really must be going full go in practice to injure his foot. Or they're making it up. Regardless, he's not needed.

Everyone's favorite punching bag was trying to help the team by lining up at CB, but he injured his foot in practice while playing CB.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2020, 12:23 AM)jason Wrote: Mixon does seem to do his damage in spurts though... He'll be damn near invisible for weeks then have a monster game.  When you watch him every week, it's hard to believe that he has the yardage he does by the end of the season.

To the OP... I don't think this has anything to do with the medical staff. He needs to quit gettin' tackled or something though.

I know he sure didn't get off to a big start, but what if we stopped throwing the ball because Burrow didn't come out of the gate on fire.  (He didn't against SD, if you recall).  Mixon is a crazy talented back but we have largely used him as a RB on first and second down, completely ignoring his prowess as a receiver.  They have one game where they use him more as a receiver and he has a career day.  I question the usage and how quickly they abandon the run in games that also led to opposing teams teeing off on Burrow.

You have to stay committed to a rushing attack to keep the opposition honest.  To be fair, they have been getting progressively more balanced on offense as the season goes on but Mixon has been injured.  I am not going to put in on the Bengal's staff, as only Mixon knows what is going on with his body.  
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2020, 06:19 PM)Wyche Wrote: Right? If we had taken him, he'd probably be out of the league injured. I wanted Cook in that draft...but he'd probably have been jinxed here.

What if we only played Cook on first and second down and rarely used him as a receiver.  Sounds pretty stupid, doesn't it?  Why is it any less stupid for Mixon?  I know we all love Gio the guy, and he is great in blitz pickup, but Mixon has greatly improved in that area as well.  He needs to be used in a more versatile fashion.  I don't like when he does it, but has anyone noticed how when he rips off two good runs then is called off the field for a third and short with Gio that he looks like someone just shot his dog?

I would like to see Mixon and Gio rotate more on series and less on downs so teams aren't thinking:  "Gio's in:  its a pass" and vice versa.

Cook and Karmara are used as Mixon should be used.  The Bengals seem to be saving him for something (even before injury) and that makes no sense.  The guy gets stronger when you feed him more.  
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2020, 05:20 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Because he doesn't do himself any favors in trying to get success.

His running style is an attempt at recreating Le'Veon Bell's with the hesitations and the like rather than attacking and instantly moving forward.

The problem is Le'Veon Bell was only able to do that because he had an OL that was allowed to hold all day long as much as they wanted without penalty. Just look at what happened when he tried to do that running style with the Jets and the Chiefs... it has failed horribly with both.

Joe Mixon is a 6'1, 220lb RB. He needs to run forward and with more authority. He doesn't get nearly enough broken tackles for a back his size, and that IS something that you can compare regardless of OL.

Since 2018 (how long they have stats for)...
Joe Mixon: 19.2 RPBT (rushes per broken tackle)
Frank Gore: 16.5 RPBT 
Nick Chubb: 9.0 RPBT 
Ezekiel Elliott: 14.0 RPBT 
Dalvin Cook: 10.8 RPBT
Christian McCaffrey: 14.1 RPBT 
Derrick Henry: 8.8 RPBT 
Saquon Barkley: 10.6 RPBT 

That's pretty terrible. When you figure over that span, Mixon is averaging 17.6 carries per game. That means he averages well under 1 broken tackle per game.

(Giovani Bernard: 14.9 RPBT in a much smaller carry sample size than anyone else listed above, but figured it was worth noting. I wish they had these numbers for years further back. I would have loved to see early 2010s Marshawn Lynch numbers.)

I agree, there have definitely been times where I've become annoyed because you could see a 3-4 yard gain just by running straight but it becomes 1-2 by trying to dance around or go to a different "hole". 

RPBT is a good stat but if you also add in causing people to miss entirely his numbers look a little better. 
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2020, 09:12 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Everyone's favorite punching bag was trying to help the team by lining up at CB, but he injured his foot in practice while playing CB.

Read he was hurt running routes at receiver when it happened, not while playing CB. Guess he is not used to do that. At least a punching bag has a use.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2020, 01:57 PM)Destro Wrote: Read he was hurt running routes at receiver when it happened, not while playing CB. Guess he is not used to do that. At least a punching bag has a use.

Hope all that hate keeps you warm.  Whether he injured it playing CB or WR, he was going to try and help at CB.  I am incredibly disappointed in the way Ross has underperformed here, but I hope everyone that has all this hate for his performance remembers it if he is successful somewhere else.  No one wanted to give him a chance this year.  
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2020, 02:07 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Hope all that hate keeps you warm.  Whether he injured it playing CB or WR, he was going to try and help at CB.  I am incredibly disappointed in the way Ross has underperformed here, but I hope everyone that has all this hate for his performance remembers it if he is successful somewhere else.  No one wanted to give him a chance this year.  

Just stating the facts of what happened. Sorry if that disturbed you. Considering you posted in the exact same thread in which it appeared, found it strange it would appear incorrectly, yet again. 
Reply/Quote