Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joe goodberry pff Steve Darnell wright
https://twitter.com/joegoodberry/status/1649505472821559296?s=46&t=bQpeRXb7y16KguzvvPGa5w

Essentially saying wright is a horrible run blocker and there is risk there.
Reply/Quote
Would rather have Wanya Morris in the 4th.
Reply/Quote
Why is it that some think that Wright is going to be the only successful RT to come out of this draft? I like Wright but his game is not without fault. There are many times that he uses horrible technique but wins with sheer power. That likely does not happen for him at the NFL level. There are other candidates out there and other prospects that are going to be successful RTs in the NFL.

Matthew Bergeron - Needs to clean up some hand placement and other technique issues but is a dominant run blocker and may be a better fit for RT over LT.

Dawand Jones - I certainly would not use a first round selection on Jones but if he slid as he is now being projected to then he could be a good candidate especially if an offense uses schemes to accentuate his strengths.

Tyler Steen - if he is going to play OT in the NFL then he most likely will be playing on the right side.

Wanya Morris - Personally I put him right up there with Wright when it comes to the RT position.

Warren McClendon - I would like to see him add some more mass but he has been a big part of a very successful Georgia program.

Carter Warren - I think if not for his injury in '22 that he is projected much higher. There is a lot to like about this kid when you watch his film.
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2023, 12:06 AM)OSUfan Wrote: Why is it that some think that Wright is going to be the only successful RT to come out of this draft? I like Wright but his game is not without fault. There are many times that he uses horrible technique but wins with sheer power. That likely does not happen for him at the NFL level. There are other candidates out there and other prospects that are going to be successful RTs in the NFL.

Matthew Bergeron - Needs to clean up some hand placement and other technique issues but is a dominant run blocker and may be a better fit for RT over LT.

Dawand Jones - I certainly would not use a first round selection on Jones but if he slid as he is now being projected to then he could be a good candidate especially if an offense uses schemes to accentuate his strengths.

Tyler Steen - if he is going to play OT in the NFL then he most likely will be playing on the right side.

Wanya Morris - Personally I put him right up there with Wright when it comes to the RT position.

Warren McClendon - I would like to see him add some more mass but he has been a big part of a very successful Georgia program.

Carter Warren - I think if not for his injury in '22 that he is projected much higher. There is a lot to like about this kid when you watch his film.

I think that most folks lock in on a position of perceived need, in this case RT, then lock in on who the draftniks says is the best player at that position that will likely be available when we pick.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
None of the top tackle prospects are a clean a prospect and that list from OSUFan just proves how bad the Offensive Tackle class is this year.

The only one on tape that looks the top 10 part is Peter Skoronski but his 32.5 inch arms make half the teams in the league say Guard. Paris Johnson jr. is probably the only other tackle you can really assign a 1st round grade too and if this was 2024 we would be talking about Johnson in 20s.

Two years ago I thought it was going to be a down draft because the defensive line talent was lacking...but damn this draft class is lacking in OT, LB, WR.

As to the OP: You can see Darnell Wright dig guys out and drive them with power. He has to work on his latch but that same latch strength is a strength in pass pro so you can see the easy development. Which is one of those interesting things about DaWand Jones in a gap scheme he doesn't do a great job of digging guys out he is a much better reach blocker right now...and I don't wanna see Jones in an outside zone. He may fit a heavy inside zone team best.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-21-2023, 11:04 PM)Jpoore Wrote: https://twitter.com/joegoodberry/status/1649505472821559296?s=46&t=bQpeRXb7y16KguzvvPGa5w

(04-21-2023, 11:14 PM)pulses Wrote: Would rather have Wanya Morris in the 4th.

"Would rather have Wanya Morris in the 4th."  That is crazy talk. I doubt there is one individual on an NFL personnel or coaching staff that would agree with this.  You can get our friend Whatever to agree, but thats probably about it. 

KC just gave the bag to the worst run blocking OT starter in the league, because he can pass protect very well.  Wright is a better run blocker than Jawaan Taylor and he is a very good pass protector.

Reply/Quote
It's 5 days before the draft. Wouldn't surprise me if this "criticism" wasn't driven by the team, trying to get other teams ahead of the Bengals to think twice before drafting him. Remember, almost everything you hear in the 10-14 days before the draft is disinformation.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2023, 04:50 AM)casear2727 Wrote: "Would rather have Wanya Morris in the 4th."  That is crazy talk. I doubt there is one individual on an NFL personnel or coaching staff that would agree with this.  You can get our friend Whatever to agree, but thats probably about it. 

KC just gave the bag to the worst run blocking OT starter in the league, because he can pass protect very well.  Wright is a better run blocker than Jawaan Taylor and he is a very good pass protector.

Taylor is a head scratcher, because he's really not good at pass pro either.  He's allowed 28 sacks in 4 years and has been Top 5 in most sacks allowed among T's twice.  Plus, KC is moving him to LT.  The guy has been a replacement level starter his whole career.  
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2023, 10:59 AM)WrongVerb Wrote: It's 5 days before the draft. Wouldn't surprise me if this "criticism" wasn't driven by the team, trying to get other teams ahead of the Bengals to think twice before drafting him. Remember, almost everything you hear in the 10-14 days before the draft is disinformation.

The draft is a smokescreen from Day 1.  There are always guys that are high on the draft site's boards that tumble.  Sometimes, it's situations with medicals and bad interviews that we aren't privy to.  Other times, it's a guy who has a very narrow scheme fit.  But in a lot of cases, it's bs being put out there by teams to confuse other teams.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2023, 01:17 PM)Whatever Wrote: The draft is a smokescreen from Day 1.  There are always guys that are high on the draft site's boards that tumble.  Sometimes, it's situations with medicals and bad interviews that we aren't privy to.  Other times, it's a guy who has a very narrow scheme fit.  But in a lot of cases, it's bs being put out there by teams to confuse other teams.

Yep, and what's that they always say?  When in doubt, go back and watch the game footage, as that'll show you more than any physical testing or interview session can about exactly what type of player you're looking at.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2023, 11:04 PM)Jpoore Wrote: https://twitter.com/joegoodberry/status/1649505472821559296?s=46&t=bQpeRXb7y16KguzvvPGa5w

Of course there is risk. Risk with ANY pick.  Wright only played RT for 1 year. But he kicked Anderson's ass. That goes a long way. The technique stuff can be corrected. 

Adeniji & Jonah have good technique, but it doesn't nean squat if your guy just pushes you backwards into the QB. 

Wright will be long gone anyway, unfortunately. 
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2023, 04:50 AM)casear2727 Wrote: "Would rather have Wanya Morris in the 4th."  That is crazy talk. I doubt there is one individual on an NFL personnel or coaching staff that would agree with this.  You can get our friend Whatever to agree, but thats probably about it. 

Okay, I had to google "gave the bag to," because I'm an old guy. And what I found was "give the bag to" means to fire someone or dismiss someone. 

give (one) the bag

1. For one's romantic partner to abruptly reject or abandon one.I loved Mary so much and thought she loved me—I never expected her to give me the bag and then move halfway across the country!
2. To dismiss someone from a job; to fire one.I can't believe the boss gave me the bag after five years on the job!
See also: baggive

So, then I couldn't make sense of your statement, because who did KC fire because he was a bad run blocker? Orlando Brpwn is not a bad run blocker. Jawaan Taylor is a bad run blocker, but he was elevated to LT. 

What am I missing?
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2023, 05:35 PM)Nepa Wrote: Okay, I had to google "gave the bag to," because I'm an old guy. And what I found was "give the bag to" means to fire someone or dismiss someone. 

give (one) the bag

1. For one's romantic partner to abruptly reject or abandon one.I loved Mary so much and thought she loved me—I never expected her to give me the bag and then move halfway across the country!
2. To dismiss someone from a job; to fire one.I can't believe the boss gave me the bag after five years on the job!

So, then I couldn't make sense of your statement, because who did KC fire because he was a bad run blocker? Orlando Brpwn is not a bad run blocker. Jawaan Taylor is a bad run blocker, but he was elevated to LT. 

What am I missing?

"Getting a large amount of money"

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Get+the+bag
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2023, 02:18 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Of course there is risk. Risk with ANY pick.  Wright only played RT for 1 year. But he kicked Anderson's ass. That goes a long way. The technique stuff can be corrected. 

Adeniji & Jonah have good technique, but it doesn't nean squat if your guy just pushes you backwards into the QB. 

Wright will be long gone anyway, unfortunately. 

At about 2:00 minutes into the video the OP linked, it gets pointed out that Wright only faced Anderson one on one for about 10 snaps.  
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2023, 05:35 PM)Nepa Wrote: Okay, I had to google "gave the bag to," because I'm an old guy. And what I found was "give the bag to" means to fire someone or dismiss someone. 

give (one) the bag

What am I missing?

Remember the "bags" the Beagle Boys always tried to steal from Scrooge McDuck ?
KC gave a huge one of those to Taylor.
Tongue
Reply/Quote