Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Joe's contract details
https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/inside-the-joe-burrow-deal

Joe Burrow is now the highest-paid player in NFL history. At least until the next highest-paid player inevitably comes along.

For now, he has a contract that not many will surpass before he signs an extension.

We’ve gotten a look at the full details of the Burrow deal. Here they are, per a source with knowledge of the terms:

1. 2023 roster bonus: $40 million, fully guaranteed.

2. 2023 training camp roster bonus: $4.535 million, fully guaranteed.

3. 2023 base salary: $1.01 million, fully guaranteed.

4. 2024 option bonus: $55 million, fully guaranteed.

5. 2024 base salary: $10.714 million, fully guaranteed.

6. 2025 option bonus, $10 million, fully guaranteed.

7. 2025 base salary: $25.25 million, fully guaranteed.

8. 2026 option bonus: $10 million, guaranteed for injury at signing, fully guaranteed on the fifth day of the 2025 league year.

9. 2026 base salary: $25.25 million, guaranteed for injury at signing, fully guaranteed on the fifth day of the 2025 league year.

10. 2027 option bonus: $10 million, guaranteed for injury at signing (see item 11 for more).

11. 2027 base salary: $27.25 million, guaranteed for injury at signing; $18.3 million becomes fully guaranteed on the fifth day of the 2026 league year and the full 2027 compensation (including option bonus) becomes fully guaranteed on the fifth day of the 2027 league year.

12. 2028 option bonus: $5 million.

13. 2028 base salary: $35.5 million.

14. 2029 March roster bonus: $2.5 million.

15. 2029 base salary: $48.039 million.

16. 2025-29 incentives: $500,000 for winning the AFC Championship, and another $1.25 million for winning the Super Bowl.

The deal pays out $310 million over seven years, with $219 million in injury guarantees covering five years. (The Bengals previously refused to guarantee contracts for injury more than a year in advance.)

Most significantly, Burrow has three years fully guaranteed at signing, for a total of $146.51 million.

It’s a massive deal that compares very favorably on all metrics to all prior quarterback deals. We’ll have more details regarding the comparisons in a later post or two.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Thanks for sharing this. Not a good day for this info to come out with it being overreaction Monday. However, after yesterdays performance a lot less of us will be concerned about Joes deal preventing us from signing Tee.
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
Very interesting deal. The creative use of option bonuses means the cap hit for any given year is less than the actual monies paid. For example 2024 is base salary 10.714 plus 55 million option bonus. The option bonuses spread the cost out after all. I think this means Burrow gets paid 65 million in 2024 but the cap hit is 29 million?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 01:28 PM)Joelist Wrote: Very interesting deal. The creative use of option bonuses means the cap hit for any given year is less than the actual monies paid. For example 2024 is base salary 10.714 plus 55 million option bonus. The option bonuses spread the cost out after all. I think this means Burrow gets paid 65 million in 2024 but the cap hit is 29 million?

Yeah, 29.714m cap hit based on these numbers.
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote

Quote:THE AVERAGE ANNUAL VALUE

Burrow didn’t just surpass Justin Herbert’s $52.5M per year - he blew by it. His $55M per year represents 24.4% of the current NFL Salary Cap ($224.8M), the highest percentage of cap in NFL history.

Three years ago, Patrick Mahomes’ $45M per year was the top number. Mahomes now ranks 8th on that list, with 4 players north of $50M per year (and that includes Aaron Rodgers taking himself OUT of that group).

THE GUARANTEE STRUCTURE
It’s another wow here. Lamar Jackson’s $135M was the previous high guarantee at signing figure (Deshaun Watson excluded). But Burrow’s $146.51M soars to the top with this new deal, including 3 years of fully guaranteed compensation through 2025.

That said, it wouldn’t be fair to ignore that Burrow already had $35M fully guaranteed allocated on his rookie contract, so accounting for that lowers this new guarantee at signing figure to $111.4M - still $11.4M more than Justin Herbert secured ($100M), and plenty more than Jackson’s adjusted number when accounting for the offered franchise tag ($102.6M).

On the 5th league day of 2025, another $35.25M becomes fully guaranteed (his 2026 compensation). All of that is guaranteed for injury at the time of signing.

On the 5th league day of 2026, another $18.3M becomes fully guaranteed (a portion of his 2027 compensation). The remaining $18.95M fully guarantees in March of 2027.

That brings us to a practical guarantee total of $219.01M, through the 2027 season, 2nd only to Deshaun Watson’s $230M.

THE CASH FLOW
Burrow scores a $40M pay raise this year, north of $45.5M for the 2023 season, but he’ll secure a whopping $65.7M in 2024, bringing his 2-year total over $111M. Only Lamar Jackson’s $112.5M pays out more in that regard. A $35.25M payday for 2025 brings the 3-year total over $146.5M, again second only to Jackson’s outstanding $156M payout.

Why so much more for Lamar? A) He was technically a free agent versus an under contract extension. B) Joe Burrow’s extension comes with an inexpensive 4th rookie contract year ($5M) and a 5th year option value ($29M) under it. Cincinnati could have slow-played this cash flow like a baseball extension - but they didn’t. Burrow secures the best cash flow in rookie contract extension history.

Annual Cash Allocations
2023: $45.5M
2024: $65.7M
2025: $35.25M
2026: $35.25M
2027: $37.25M
2028: $40.5M
2029: $50.5M

THE CAP FLOW

The Bengals utilized a SIX BONUS structure with this extension: A $40M signing bonus, a $55M 2nd year option bonus, 3 consecutive $10M option bonus, and a final $5M option bonus in the 2028 season.

For the most part, this keeps the upfront cap hits relatively tenable, with a slight need for salary conversion coming in 2025/2026, and an excessive figure in the final season.

Annual Cap Allocations
2023: $19.5M
2024: $29.7M
2025: $46.25M
2026: $48.25M
2027: $52.25M
2028: $53.5M
2029: $68.5M
2030: $9M (dead)

CONCLUDING THOUGHTS

Many, ourselves included, wondered if Joe Burrow would take the Peyton Manning approach (max out) or the Tom Brady approach with this rookie extension. Quite obviously he chose the former here.

The Bengals haven’t put together a contract like this in the history of their franchise, historically not fully guaranteeing any future salary - often not even for injury purposes. They haven’t been “cheap” in terms of overall payouts, but they’ve been frugal when it comes to the stability of their contracts.

There’s not a soul who can claim that about this Joe Burrow extension. It’s rock solid through 2027, with a bit of an out prior to the 2028 season, and a definitive one before 2029. Cincinnati will be sticking more than $100M into escrow with this deal (fully guaranteed cash not paid out in 2023), proving they’re on board for whatever it takes to keep this elite QB1 in town for as long as possible.

This is just step one in their core payment process however, as Ja’Marr Chase becomes extension eligible in just a few short months, and should have a bright shiny Justin Jefferson contract to mirror by then.

Reply/Quote
FWIW, Burrow's cap hit was gonna be $29 mil next year BEFORE he signed this contract, IIRC. That was his 5th year option hit.

So, while I would not call it team friendly in any way, 2024 is the friendliest year.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 08:11 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: FWIW, Burrow's cap hit was gonna be $29 mil next year BEFORE he signed this contract, IIRC. That was his 5th year option hit.

So, while I would not call it team friendly in any way, 2024 is the friendliest year.
Nothing about this deal is team friendly...
Reply/Quote
https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/joe-burrow-contract-blows-away-all-prior-quarterback-contracts

Burrow was taken care of. There was absolutely no discount. FO really went for broke to lock him in.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 09:30 PM)ah5 Wrote: Nothing about this deal is team friendly...

Love Joe, but man is it worth it? This post has nothing to do with last game.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2023, 12:54 AM)OUatown Wrote: Love Joe, but man is it worth it? This post has nothing to do with last game.

Well since Burrow joined the Bengals, the team is selling out every game almost by season tickets alone, souvenir sales are way up, parking revenue is way up. The team is relevant in the league an has played in 2 AFC championships and a Super Bowl. The team is no longer a laughingstock. And oh yeah, the team has increased its value by 40% so I would say to Mike Brown and Katie Blackburn, Joe Burrow is worth the contract

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 12:31 PM)pally Wrote: https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/inside-the-joe-burrow-deal

Joe Burrow is now the highest-paid player in NFL history. At least until the next highest-paid player inevitably comes along.

For now, he has a contract that not many will surpass before he signs an extension.

We’ve gotten a look at the full details of the Burrow deal. Here they are, per a source with knowledge of the terms:

1. 2023 roster bonus: $40 million, fully guaranteed.

2. 2023 training camp roster bonus: $4.535 million, fully guaranteed.

3. 2023 base salary: $1.01 million, fully guaranteed.

4. 2024 option bonus: $55 million, fully guaranteed.

5. 2024 base salary: $10.714 million, fully guaranteed.

6. 2025 option bonus, $10 million, fully guaranteed.

7. 2025 base salary: $25.25 million, fully guaranteed.

8. 2026 option bonus: $10 million, guaranteed for injury at signing, fully guaranteed on the fifth day of the 2025 league year.

9. 2026 base salary: $25.25 million, guaranteed for injury at signing, fully guaranteed on the fifth day of the 2025 league year.

10. 2027 option bonus: $10 million, guaranteed for injury at signing (see item 11 for more).

11. 2027 base salary: $27.25 million, guaranteed for injury at signing; $18.3 million becomes fully guaranteed on the fifth day of the 2026 league year and the full 2027 compensation (including option bonus) becomes fully guaranteed on the fifth day of the 2027 league year.

12. 2028 option bonus: $5 million.

13. 2028 base salary: $35.5 million.

14. 2029 March roster bonus: $2.5 million.

15. 2029 base salary: $48.039 million.

16. 2025-29 incentives: $500,000 for winning the AFC Championship, and another $1.25 million for winning the Super Bowl.

The deal pays out $310 million over seven years, with $219 million in injury guarantees covering five years. (The Bengals previously refused to guarantee contracts for injury more than a year in advance.)

Most significantly, Burrow has three years fully guaranteed at signing, for a total of $146.51 million.

It’s a massive deal that compares very favorably on all metrics to all prior quarterback deals. We’ll have more details regarding the comparisons in a later post or two.
The more these players get paid the more the common man will start to realize that the NFL is leaving them behind and the game will start to lose substance.  Happening already I believe.  The Bubble will burst soon enough. 
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2023, 12:54 AM)OUatown Wrote: Love Joe, but man is it worth it? This post has nothing to do with last game.

If you want a top tier QB, this is what it costs. The next one will be higher. They said on Sirius KC is already in the process of redoing Mahomes. You think he's gonna be cheaper?
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2023, 10:24 AM)Marlon23 Wrote: The more these players get paid the more the common man will start to realize that the NFL is leaving them behind and the game will start to lose substance.  Happening already I believe.  The Bubble will burst soon enough. 

No it won't, this narrative has been around a long time all the way back to the first $10 million dollar contract. NFL ratings have never been higher, the TV contracts have never been bigger. People said NIL would kill college football and just the opposite is happening viewership there is killing it. Soccer has long surpassed NFL contracts for it's stars and it is still the most popular sport in the world, even in countries where the common man makes pennies a day to what people here make. 

NFL Players haven't been "the common man" for 40+ years and honestly they aren't. These guys are literally better at their job, even the worst ones, than any of us are at ours. You are talking about the top .001% of all people in the world can do what they do. 
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2023, 03:39 PM)Au165 Wrote: No it won't, this narrative has been around a long time all the way back to the first $10 million dollar contract. NFL ratings have never been higher, the TV contracts have never been bigger. People said NIL would kill college football and just the opposite is happening viewership there is killing it. Soccer has long surpassed NFL contracts for it's stars and it is still the most popular sport in the world, even in countries where the common man makes pennies a day to what people here make. 

NFL Players haven't been "the common man" for 40+ years and honestly they aren't. These guys are literally better at their job, even the worst ones, than any of us are at ours. You are talking about the top .001% of all people in the world can do what they do. 

I understand what you are stating but eventually where is it going?  275 Million for one player and in the next 5 years? Half a billion?  this does seem to be problematic, I thought it was a problem with Rodgers contract (way to much money) and he is one of the greatest of all time.  I think eventually it will start to erode the simplicity of the game, and the market will become saturated and the fan base will start to realize that paying 400 dollars to watch games, and the cost of supporting a team in the end is just not worth it.  I think it is starting to show a bit more in the past few years. Especially with the big execs changing viewing options for viewers.  All it takes is for a few boring/seasons and the value will decrease quickly in my view. 
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2023, 05:26 PM)Marlon23 Wrote: I understand what you are stating but eventually where is it going?  275 Million for one player and in the next 5 years? Half a billion?  this does seem to be problematic, I thought it was a problem with Rodgers contract (way to much money) and he is one of the greatest of all time.  I think eventually it will start to erode the simplicity of the game, and the market will become saturated and the fan base will start to realize that paying 400 dollars to watch games, and the cost of supporting a team in the end is just not worth it.  I think it is starting to show a bit more in the past few years. Especially with the big execs changing viewing options for viewers.  All it takes is for a few boring/seasons and the value will decrease quickly in my view. 

People shouldn't feel forced to spend money they don't want to spend.
If you don't want to spend the amount of money to attend in-person, don't. Just watch on TV somewhere.
NFL (as with all professional sports) are trying to make as much money as people will keep paying, so they'll keep raising prices until people stop being willing to pay that price.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-13-2023, 05:26 PM)Marlon23 Wrote: I understand what you are stating but eventually where is it going?  275 Million for one player and in the next 5 years? Half a billion?  this does seem to be problematic, I thought it was a problem with Rodgers contract (way to much money) and he is one of the greatest of all time.  I think eventually it will start to erode the simplicity of the game, and the market will become saturated and the fan base will start to realize that paying 400 dollars to watch games, and the cost of supporting a team in the end is just not worth it.  I think it is starting to show a bit more in the past few years. Especially with the big execs changing viewing options for viewers.  All it takes is for a few boring/seasons and the value will decrease quickly in my view. 

Mbappe just got a contract paying him $128 million per year. No one in soccer is worried about his money or the game or whatever.

How does it erode the simplicity, how does it saturate the market? That doesn't really make any sense. How is it showing in the past few years? Attendance is up, revenue is up, viewership is up. These all feel like weird personally held views backed by nothing other than your own thoughts. This was the same thing people said back when QB's got 10 million, it wasn't true then and isn't true now.

How people view content in general is changing. They aren't doing it for the sake of change the demographics of emerging markets are changing. The NFL is still the most watched thing on television period. The hall of fame game, a game that is so awful by exhibition standards, still rates higher than other leagues championship games. There is nothing showing any sort of slowdown in the NFL.

This also doesn't acknowledge that the NFL, will move international in the next decade. Their TV deal with Europe has been super cheap because they have been trying to expand interest in the game. They just signed a new 100 Million dollar per year deal to do global distribution. That deal will be come more lucrative as they eventually place a division in Europe. 

Look at it this way, a bunch of really smart people just paid 6 Billion dollars for the Commanders with full league and team financials. They didn't do so because there were "signs" of it slowing down. This thing is a rocket ship and the most lucrative investment in the world right now as everyone wants in the club and the NFL is super selective of who can get in.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2023, 05:28 PM)ochocincos Wrote: People shouldn't feel forced to spend money they don't want to spend.
If you don't want to spend the amount of money to attend in-person, don't. Just watch on TV somewhere.
NFL (as with all professional sports) are trying to make as much money as people will keep paying, so they'll keep raising prices until people stop being willing to pay that price.

It's funny because I pay nothing per year to watch the NFL other than the TV service I already paid for. In game attendance is a very small fraction of the revenue the league generates. If everyone didn't show up tomorrow it wouldn't sink the league but it would make the television viewing experience worse. That is the key as long as they can keep the environment good enough for TV they will do what they want. To your point, there will come a point of diminishing returns and then people will slow down but teams are selling out at a rate well above historical levels so....we ain't there yet. 
Reply/Quote

Most blue collar folks can't even afford to go to a game. It's a white collar crowd now. I remember $8 blue seats at Riverfront to watch the Reds. What's the cheapest tickets to see the Reds & Bengals now?
Reply/Quote