Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3.29 Average
Joe speaks out
(05-31-2020, 04:29 PM)Whatever Wrote: Is every charge of resisting arrest justified?  No.  Does the fact that every charge of resisting arrest isn't warranted mean that no charge of resisting arrest is warranted?  No.  Let's look at the statistics from SF that I posted earlier.  African Americans accounted for 6% of the population, but 45% of resisting arrest charges in misdemeanor cases.  In order for the resisting arrest rate for African Americans to be in line with their population, only 13% of those cases could be legitimate.  The other 87% were just made up.  Does anybody really believe that only one in ten cases of resisting arrest involving African American suspects is legitimate?  I hope not.  Even if half of those cases are made up BS, their rate of resisting arrest is still almost four times their population percentage.

Dude, people of all races get stopped for stuff they consider to be BS.  When I was living in a primarily black neighborhood, I got stopped and my truck searched because I was doing 38 in a 35.  I've seen firsthand a cop pull his weapon on a 40 something white woman who had his back turned to him in a Chipotle in the Ohio State campus area.  I used to have a one bedroom apartment that was technically in Upper Arlington(wealthy section of Columbus) and I would get stopped in my old Crown Vic with the caved in door and peeling paint all the time.  I got pulled over for doing 50 in a 45 one night a few months back.  Cops are going to stop you if you look out of place or if you or your vehicle matches the description of a suspect.  When I got pulled over in the black neighborhood, I had started renting space in a house with a coworker and he had told me there were drug houses in the area.  The cops see a white male they don't know rolling through and they're going to stop me and check it out.  That lady the cop pulled the gun on matched the description of a woman who was just involved in a bank robbery nearby.  When I would get stopped in my old beater car I looked massively out of place driving by a bunch of houses with Mercedes and BMW's in the garage.  When I got stopped a few months back, the cop went to my passenger side window and I could tell he had his hand on his holster.  He asked for my license, which I already had out and asked if I knew why he stopped me.  I told him because I was doing 50 in a 45.  He handed back my license, never asked for my registration and let me off with a warning.  It was pretty obvious he pulled me over because my car matched the description of a suspect vehicle and something was up because of just how hurried he acted through the whole thing.  

Both of my parents and my Grandfather had talks with me about dealing with police when I got my learners permit.  Whether you're black, white, Hispanic, Asian, whatever, if you get loud with a cop, you're headed for trouble.  Many African Americans have a tendency to get loud and defiant in an attempt to assert dominance in confrontations.  White people are generally more willing to show deference to authority figures, hence parents not being as worried about what happens when they get stopped.  

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/05/chicago-police-department-consent-decree-black-lives-matter-resistance.html

First, note the title of the article:New Data Shows Police Use More Force Against Black Citizens Even Though Whites Resist More

As for the point of it all:

Quote:The mantra “stop resisting” is a familiar one to anybody who has assessed police violence. The premise that if black people simply complied during police interactions there would be no police brutality is a common trope. According to newly revealed data on use of force cases in Chicago, it’s a story that has no basis in reality. As dozens of studies have shown, police tend to use more force against black citizens. Often in these cases a claim that the suspect “resisted arrest” is used to justify the violence.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
I wonder how many in Cincy Jungle thinks "Taking a Knee" is problematic now with what is going on around the country?

There was a lot of posters in here who was against Colin Kaepernick for "Taking a Knee". It supposedly brought the wrong
kind of attention and distraction to the League and to a team. I bet you see a whole lot of players "Taking a Knee" this season
and rightfully so. All the owners and GM's were oh so wrong for black-balling him. Would teams now consider him as a worthy backup
quarterback? Should the Bengals offer an invite to camp?

Just some thoughts.
(05-31-2020, 08:06 PM)BacknDaDey Wrote: I wonder how many in Cincy Jungle thinks "Taking a Knee" is problematic now with what is going on around the country?

There was a lot of posters in here who was against Colin Kaepernick for "Taking a Knee". It supposedly brought the wrong
kind of attention and distraction to the League and to a team. I bet you see a whole lot of players "Taking a Knee" this season
and rightfully so. All the owners and GM's were oh so wrong for black-balling him. Would teams now consider him as a worthy backup
quarterback? Should the Bengals offer an invite to camp?

Just some thoughts.

I say do it! It’s selfish but we would be heroes to many out there. Might drive a desire to play for Cinci. I feel evil writing that lol
(05-31-2020, 08:06 PM)BacknDaDey Wrote: I wonder how many in Cincy Jungle thinks "Taking a Knee" is problematic now with what is going on around the country?

There was a lot of posters in here who was against Colin Kaepernick for "Taking a Knee".  It supposedly brought the wrong
kind of attention and distraction to the League and to a team.  I bet you see a whole lot of players "Taking a Knee" this season
and rightfully so.  All the owners and GM's were oh so wrong for black-balling him.  Would teams now consider him as a worthy backup
quarterback?  Should the Bengals offer an invite to camp?

Just some thoughts.

He was black balled, but now it was so long ago, as a football only move, he makes no sense to be on a team. Been gone too long and, in my opinion, was not all that good to begin with. Yeah, they got to a SB, but was not impressed a all after that. 
(05-31-2020, 04:53 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Hey, can someone tell me what white dudes like me are supposed to do to remedy this situation? 

Be real, be genuine. When something is wrong, call it, but do it evenly.  Understand how things would be if the situation was reversed. In football terms, it is like watching a penalty called on the Steelers they don't deserve. 

If you are a racist, then be that way, but don't try to project you are not and try to tear down things that minorities are doing and act as if you are impartial. There is a lot of that nowadays, especially online.

If you are not racist, support those doing right and don't just remain silent when you see wrongs being done.
(05-31-2020, 09:52 PM)Destro Wrote: He was black balled, but now it was so long ago, as a football only move, he makes no sense to be on a team. Been gone too long and, in my opinion, was not all that good to begin with. Yeah, they got to a SB, but was not impressed a all after that. 

Idk, I find it hard to believe he’s not better than Ryan Finley...

Kaep is a joke, he loves evil shit man, chaos.

Just like the ones out there doing it. He said it himself and once again shits in his own bed and lays in it.

Dumb shit is what Kaepernick is. Lowers my IQ even speaking of the dweeb.
(05-31-2020, 10:33 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Kaep is a joke, he loves evil shit man, chaos.

Just like the ones out there doing it. He said it himself and once again shits in his own bed and lays in it.

Dumb shit is what Kaepernick is. Lowers my IQ even speaking of the dweeb.

I don’t particularly like the guy myself, but it’s definitely not his skill level keeping him out of the game. Like I said, he’s better than our backup, and I’d wager better than at least a handful of backups around the league.

Issue is people are answering violence with violence it has to stop.

The Geoege Floyd situation is horrible and the man responsible will be brought to justice... but it does not give people the right to attack others. You cannot riot under the cover of protest and it always happens in situations like this.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

(05-31-2020, 10:35 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I don’t particularly like the guy myself, but it’s definitely not his skill level keeping him out of the game. Like I said, he’s better than our backup, and I’d wager better than at least a handful of backups around the league.

Yeah but I would never want him anywhere around me or my team.

Heck I was for drafting him sad to say.

I liked Dalton and Kaep about the same. Shows how much you know about college kids.

Weird what people become, Dalton is a great man, he just panics when the pocket breaks down.
(05-31-2020, 10:40 PM)Synric Wrote: Issue is people are answering violence with violence it has to stop.

The Geoege Floyd situation is horrible and the man responsible will be brought to justice... but it does not give people the right to attack others. You cannot riot under the cover of protest and it always happens in situations like this.

This.

You always make me think Synric. Well done bud. Rock On 

Violence isn't what George Floyd would want.

George Floyd from all I know was a very good man.
(05-31-2020, 10:26 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Idk, I find it hard to believe he’s not better than Ryan Finley...

Hard to disagree, but it has been since 2016 he has planned in the NFL. Too far gone. 
(05-31-2020, 10:35 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I don’t particularly like the guy myself, but it’s definitely not his skill level keeping him out of the game. Like I said, he’s better than our backup, and I’d wager better than at least a handful of backups around the league.

I remember watching either Ron Jaworski or Chris Mortensen do a piece on Kaepernick after his first year.  Whichever it was, they said emphatically that Kaepernick was the best quarterback he'd ever seen from a physical standpoint.  I'm sure he was basing this on his combination of arm strength and use of his legs, plus his really promising first season.  

Obviously, this never came to be.  I think the departure of Harbaugh hurt him, as did his failure to develop beyond just physical promise.  When I watched him, it seemed like he got to a point where he relied on his legs way too much and never really developed a decent intermediate passing game.  It felt like he was running damn near all the time.  

I think the ship has sailed on him as a player.  It's been a long time, and I'm not sure he even genuinely wants back in.  The league isn't exactly lacking for risky potential QB options either.  Cam Newton doesn't have a team.  Josh Rosen is a top ten pick that could probably be had for very little, and still doesn't have enough snaps to be written off.  Dalton had basically no real market until after the draft.  It's a buyer's market for QBs now, and that doesn't help.  
(05-31-2020, 09:57 PM)Destro Wrote: Be real, be genuine. When something is wrong, call it, but do it evenly.  Understand how things would be if the situation was reversed. In football terms, it is like watching a penalty called on the Steelers they don't deserve.
If you are not racist, support those doing right and don't just remain silent when you see wrongs being done.

I like to believe I do this, but how does it stop cop brutality? If a few senseless murders can incite mass rioting, how does me being a nice non-racist dude change anything?

He is better than most of the backups in the league but I have serious questions on wether he wants to be in the league.
The NFL basically gives him a tryout for all 32 teams and he turns them down? 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!

There was a lot of posters in here who was against Colin Kaepernick for "Taking a Knee".  It supposedly brought the wrong
kind of attention and distraction to the League and to a team.  I bet you see a whole lot of players "Taking a Knee" this season
and rightfully so.  All the owners and GM's were oh so wrong for black-balling him.  Would teams now consider him as a worthy backup
quarterback?  Should the Bengals offer an invite to camp?

Just some thoughts.

I will always be against "taking a knee" when the national anthem is played.  My uncle came home from Vietnam in a coffin draped in the flag of this country and I'm not going to support some millionaire disrespecting this country, our anthem, and our flag.  Kneeling during the national anthlem prior to a football game does nothing to help any problems.
(06-01-2020, 08:42 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I will always be against "taking a knee" when the national anthem is played.  My uncle came home from Vietnam in a coffin draped in the flag of this country and I'm not going to support some millionaire disrespecting this country, our anthem, and our flag.  Kneeling during the national anthlem prior to a football game does nothing to help any problems.

100% agree

There's a time and a place to protest and during the national anthem is not the time.
(06-01-2020, 08:42 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I will always be against "taking a knee" when the national anthem is played.  My uncle came home from Vietnam in a coffin draped in the flag of this country and I'm not going to support some millionaire disrespecting this country, our anthem, and our flag.  Kneeling during the national anthlem prior to a football game does nothing to help any problems.

He fought for freedom and the constitution of the United States of America, in which the very first one covers the right to protest. It helps bring about conversation around what we can do better as a society. If we are tone def to the issues of a race, how are we going to solve them? How are we going to educate ourselves, our kids, and others about this issue? They are rioting and looting because this issue is still happening. What makes you more upset, the rioting or the police brutality? Because you don't have rioting and looting if you don't have police brutality. Fix the root of the problem.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
(05-31-2020, 10:26 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Idk, I find it hard to believe he’s not better than Ryan Finley...

Or Pick 6 Peterman. Or Tom Savage. Or about 10-15 other scrubs. Kaepernick put up good passer ratings across his career, and added the running threat. Not a great NFL QB per se, but one worthy of a roster spot without a doubt. Colin’s stats/skills make him a quality backup or bottom-end starter in the league. His career passer rating is better than Andy’s FWIW.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
(05-31-2020, 06:08 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/05/chicago-police-department-consent-decree-black-lives-matter-resistance.html

First, note the title of the article:New Data Shows Police Use More Force Against Black Citizens Even Though Whites Resist More

As for the point of it all:
And this points out a huge issue with this topic, and political topics on the whole.

I'll bet you didn't even take the time to read the article.  

This article is one of the most obvious attempts at starting at a conclusion and then trying to manipulate and omit statistics to support that conclusion that I've ever seen.  

First, a massive piece of data he completely omits and ignores is the total number of instances of resisting arrest by group.  

How he attempts to prove his point is he took the case data for each group in which the level of resistance is graded on a scale from 1-6 by his source.  He then admittedly created his own scale that goes from 1-4 because the 1-6 scale is "too complicated" and graded the level of resistance in each case according to his scale.  He then made up a 1-4 scale on the level of police action and graded the police action in each case based on his scale.  
His conclusion was then reached by comparing the % of times the police used force he graded as a 3-4 against levels of resistance he graded as a 1-2 and by comparing the % of 1  + 2 resistance cases by group.  However, comparing 1+2 resistance rate percentage by group is utterly worthless without factoring in the number of 0 resistance cases when trying to decide whether one group shows more or less resistance.  Comparing the combined % of level 1-2 resistance vs the combined % of 3-4 level force is also silly, because if one group tends more towards level 2 than 1, they will obviously be met with more force by police.  The only real point he made that MAY have some validity is that police responded to lethal force from suspects with lethal force more often in cases with African American suspects, but it's still 43%(less than half the time) compared to 28% only thing he will say about rates between the groups is African Americans have a "slightly higher" percentage of using lethal force than whites, but gives us no numbers to quantify what "slightly higher" is.  And after all this guy's stat manipulation, the best he could come up where differences ranging from 2 to 3.5% 

I also defy anyone to go to the slate.com homepage and come to the conclusion that this is relatively neutral journalistic website.

But lack of journalistic integrity is a huge issue today.  Instead of reporting facts so the people can make their own informed decision, the report some twisted garbage like this to forward their own agenda.