Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joey B full go at training camp
with caution

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I'm glad that he is fully cleared, but I'm not keen on keeping him out of the preseason games. There's only so much of a rhythm that can be developed in practice as compared to live action.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Seemed to do ok with no preseason games last year
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2021, 03:05 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I'm glad that he is fully cleared, but I'm not keen on keeping him out of the preseason games.  There's only so much of a rhythm that can be developed in practice as compared to live action.

right hes either Fully cleared or hes not.. By not being in the preseason id say hes not 100% yet.    Hopefully no set backs
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2021, 04:12 PM)G man Wrote: Seemed to do ok with no preseason games last year

Yep. As did Herbert. It’s just not worth the risk.

Reply/Quote
Really wanted to see JB take some preseason snaps. Yes, he appeared ok last year after not taking any but the whole damn league didn't have it which is a huge difference. I'm not overly concerned he wont be getting preseason snaps, yet I do think it would benefit him beginning the season.

Reply/Quote
(07-26-2021, 04:12 PM)G man Wrote: Seemed to do ok with no preseason games last year

Except he didn't at first. The Bengals might have won Week 1 if he was able to get a preseason game or two in.  193 yards, 0 TD/1 INT, 5.4 YPA, 66.1 QB Rating. Week 1 basically became his preseason instead and was a L.

Ultimately 1 more win wouldn't have made any positive difference in 2020, but it might in 2021.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2021, 05:34 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Really wanted to see JB take some preseason snaps. Yes, he appeared ok last year after not taking any but the whole damn league didn't have it which is a huge difference. I'm not overly concerned he wont be getting preseason snaps, yet I do think it would benefit him beginning the season.

This ^^^

Last year everyone was in the same boat of hitting the field a little rusty.  This year he will be trying to gel with guys against a warmed up Vikings defense.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2021, 05:46 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Except he didn't at first. The Bengals might have won Week 1 if he was able to get a preseason game or two in.  193 yards, 0 TD/1 INT, 5.4 YPA, 66.1 QB Rating. Week 1 basically became his preseason instead and was a L.

Ultimately 1 more win wouldn't have made any positive difference in 2020, but it might in 2021.

There was also zoom meetings, Covid affected off season and he has never played with this team or in the scene last year.

The years experience makes this a completely different scenario to last year imo

I’d probably like to see him take a few snaps but also won’t be worried if he doesn’t.
Reply/Quote
While I’d like him a to have some preseason snaps this will give them a chance to assess the OL a bit and invoke changes before risking the franchise.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2021, 04:12 PM)G man Wrote: Seemed to do ok with no preseason games last year

Aaaaaaaaactually, we beat the Chargers in week 1 last year if Burrow had a pre-season to learn that half-assed shovel passes into heavy traffic don't fly in the NFL. I think Burrow is Jesus on toast, but some of you folks act like the guy was Dan Marino meets Otto Graham the second he laced 'em up.

I said before it'd interesting if we sit Burrow this pre-season for precautionary measures and then he just flat-out doesn't play in the pre-season in his veteran years because he's like Tom Brady and doesn't need to and he becomes the only notable NFL player to never play in a pre-season game.
Reply/Quote
JC making him look good:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1419771999526821889
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-26-2021, 06:52 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Aaaaaaaaactually, we beat the Chargers in week 1 last year if Burrow had a pre-season to learn that half-assed shovel passes into heavy traffic don't fly in the NFL. I think Burrow is Jesus on toast, but some of you folks act like the guy was Dan Marino meets Otto Graham the second he laced 'em up.

I said before it'd interesting if we sit Burrow this pre-season for precautionary measures and then he just flat-out doesn't play in the pre-season in his veteran years because he's like Tom Brady and doesn't need to and he becomes the only notable NFL player to never play in a pre-season game.

Since we’re doing if’s…

If AJ doesn’t push off (man if that wasn’t a preview of what was to come…) Burrow throws a game winning TD against a really tough defense in his first ever start.

Hell, if our cheeseburger storage facility of a kicker didn’t pull his labia we go to OT where Burrow would have had another shot to win it.

Reply/Quote
(07-26-2021, 08:10 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Since we’re doing if’s…

If AJ doesn’t push off (man if that wasn’t a preview of what was to come…) Burrow throws a game winning TD against a really tough defense in his first ever start.

Hell, if our cheeseburger storage facility of a kicker didn’t pull his labia we go to OT where Burrow would have had another shot to win it.

AJ and Bullock weren't rookies, they were past their "BEST BY" date veterans.  All I'm saying is that Burrow made a specific "That doesn't work in the NFL, but it's good that you know that now" INT in his very first NFL action and that MAAAAYBE could have been sorted out with some pre-season work (not that he had the option, but I was responding to someone who said Burrow didn't need the pre-season).

All I'm saying is that if you look at Burrow's first game with an objective eye, the guy could have used a pre-season.  If we roll into week 1 this year and Burrow seems a bit rusty and out of sorts then maybe he needed a pre-season this year.  We won't know until it happens, but week 1 of 2020...he could have used a few pre-season reps.  No harm in admitting that.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2021, 08:54 PM)Nately120 Wrote: AJ and Bullock weren't rookies, they were past their "BEST BY" date veterans.  All I'm saying is that Burrow made a specific "That doesn't work in the NFL, but it's good that you know that now" INT in his very first NFL action and that MAAAAYBE could have been sorted out with some pre-season work (not that he had the option, but I was responding to someone who said Burrow didn't need the pre-season).

All I'm saying is that if you look at Burrow's first game with an objective eye, the guy could have used a pre-season.  If we roll into week 1 this year and Burrow seems a bit rusty and out of sorts then maybe he needed a pre-season this year.  We won't know until it happens, but week 1 of 2020...he could have used a few pre-season reps.  No harm in admitting that.

He shouldn’t have needed a PS to know that shovel pass was ill advised. He also said himself that a high schooler could hit that deep ball to AJ that he missed. I guess you can try and argue a handful of snaps in some exhibition games would have helped, but considering he didn’t clean up the issues with the deep ball in the rest of the 9+ games he played I don’t really buy it.

To me it was all the other stuff he missed that was more important. Not the vanilla offense most teams practice in PS games.

Anyway, it sounds like he’s not playing in any this year either, and I for one think it’s the right decision. If he’s rusty week 1 so be it. Rushing him back into meaningless action is the last thing I want to see. We should be thinking long term here considering who the player is.

Reply/Quote
I would prefer he played at least one game this preseason to shake off the rust.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2021, 09:17 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He shouldn’t have needed a PS to know that shovel pass was ill advised. He also said himself that a high schooler could hit that deep ball to AJ that he missed. I guess you can try and argue a handful of snaps in some exhibition games would have helped, but considering he didn’t clean up the issues with the deep ball in the rest of the 9+ games he played I don’t really buy it.

To me it was all the other stuff he missed that was more important. Not the vanilla offense most teams practice in PS games.

Anyway, it sounds like he’s not playing in any this year either, and I for one think it’s the right decision. If he’s rusty week 1 so be it. Rushing him back into meaningless action is the last thing I want to see. We should be thinking long term here considering who the player is.

I'm not saying pre-season cures all ills, but when a guy isn't aces on gameday 1 it's harder to dismiss the value of any sort of practice.  Palmer played in the pre-season after his knee injury, so I'm not sure why we are taking the cautious take this time around.  It just seems to fly in the face of our narrative that Burrow is the ultimate competitor and is fearless and so on and so forth.

At any rate, I feel like I'm in a bit of a no-win situation here.  If I say we should sit Burrow the entire 4 weeks of pre-season it sounds like I'm treating our badass swaggalicious QB like a newborn kitten, but if I say to throw him out there I'm saying he needs practice and won't be ready and it's worth risking his long-term health on meaningless games where our lame brained coaches are probably going to be running the 4 plays from the Tecmo Bowl playbook (and I don't even mean the Tecmo Super Bowl playbook that has like...8 plays).
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2021, 10:11 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm not saying pre-season cures all ills, but when a guy isn't aces on gameday 1 it's harder to dismiss the value of any sort of practice.  Palmer played in the pre-season after his knee injury, so I'm not sure why we are taking the cautious take this time around.  It just seems to fly in the face of our narrative that Burrow is the ultimate competitor and is fearless and so on and so forth.

At any rate, I feel like I'm in a bit of a no-win situation here.  If I say we should sit Burrow the entire 4 weeks of pre-season it sounds like I'm treating our badass swaggalicious QB like a newborn kitten, but if I say to throw him out there I'm saying he needs practice and won't be ready and it's worth risking his long-term health on meaningless games where our lame brained coaches are probably going to be running the 4 plays from the Tecmo Bowl playbook (and I don't even mean the Tecmo Super Bowl playbook that has like...8 plays).

If he doesn't get preseason snaps, hopefully he at least gets some live practice/scrimmage reps. He needs to get those snaps under heat before he hits the field for game #1.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Joe will be ready. I'm sure we will not see him before the opening game. But I would like the see the back end of the recieving core to see who will get the 5th and 6th receiver spot and Special teams.
Go Joe
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2021, 10:11 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm not saying pre-season cures all ills, but when a guy isn't aces on gameday 1 it's harder to dismiss the value of any sort of practice.  Palmer played in the pre-season after his knee injury, so I'm not sure why we are taking the cautious take this time around.  It just seems to fly in the face of our narrative that Burrow is the ultimate competitor and is fearless and so on and so forth.

I think pre-season is only 3 games now actually.

Reply/Quote