Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
John '2 fast 2 film' Ross
(06-14-2018, 04:29 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: exactly what I see.  he seems like Djax mix with Santana moss.    kinda frail with insane speed type.

for some reason I just pictured ross running down the field to the tune smooth....
Reply/Quote
This is from a couple years ago, but plenty of good NFL WRs under 6' tall.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2014/11/24/nfl-wide-receivers-antonio-brown-steve-smith-emmanuel-sanders

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2015/09/07/top-6-best-nfl-wrs-5-foot-10-and-under/
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Jimmy John's Ross....Freaky Fast.

JR, give me a portion of the check you get for the commercial.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(06-14-2018, 05:42 PM)Sweetness Wrote: One, I disagree about Golden Tate vs Jackson based off Jackson averaging more yards, ypc, and td then Tate. Second, you said the same type of player as Tate which Ross will probably never be and is nothing like. 

If Ross puts up 1000 yards on 17 average for 7 TD I think we'd be happy. Which is close to Jackson early years. If we got tates early years people would die.

Completely agree Sweetness, DeSean Jackson was one hell of a player at one time with almost the speed of Ross.

Much better comparison. I still stand by my Antonio Brown comparison though. I think he could be that good with his
open field ability. Once he catches the ball he can make people miss, he is not only speed.
Reply/Quote
I think if Ross gets to start at X receiver and Lafell is regulated to 4th WR and rotational slot receiver that he could have a huge impact. I see Ross as being the guy that, yes, can take the top off a defense. Make safeties drop. Force double coverage. He has the kind of speed and elusiveness to make some huge deep plays. He can be the Chris Henry to AJ's Chad, with Boyd becoming the slot TJ.

However, where i see him as an even more important role is in quick screens and slants, where he gets the ball quickly (read: high %) and makes a quick move and could be off to the races. If they have one guy on him and he plays up on him, he could get torched. If he plays off, give him all the short passes and force that guy to try and tackle a fart in the wind.

I am probably Ross's biggest fan on here and could see him being a huge impact this year, but he has to start over Lafell. That is step one. I don't need an endless debate of "the coaches know what they are doing, look at Carlos Dunlap, blah, blah, blah". I believe step one is him starting. If he gets step one, I think he will keep moving on up and be a huge impact.
Reply/Quote
I think my biggest concern is timing between Dalton and Ross. With Dalton history of under throwing and Ross’s speed, I can see Ross out running Dalton’s arm strength which will often hold him up or bring him back to fight for it. Hopefully, they are working hard together to get that ironed out.

Reply/Quote
(06-15-2018, 07:32 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I think my biggest concern is timing between Dalton and Ross. With Dalton history of under throwing and Ross’s speed, I can see Ross out running Dalton’s arm strength which will often hold him up or bring him back to fight for it. Hopefully, they are working hard together to get that ironed out.

Although I think Dalton doesn't get as much credit as he deserves for arm strength, this is a realistic concern because we have seen Dalton underthrow AJ Green on deep balls, and Ross is faster, especially in terms of his acceleration.  I think Ross's deep balls will be more than just a 9 pattern, but a play where he suckers a DB in on a quick hitch, only to flip his hips and blow by him once the DB commits.  

Damn, am I excited to see this season.  I think the offense can be downright scary with a new offensive line, a running game that has to be respected, and weapons like AJ Green, Boyd, and Ross on the field together....that is without even discussing our TEs.  

One thing is going to be certain:  It is going to be better than last year by leaps and bounds.  
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2018, 07:55 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Although I think Dalton doesn't get as much credit as he deserves for arm strength, this is a realistic concern because we have seen Dalton underthrow AJ Green on deep balls, and Ross is faster, especially in terms of his acceleration.  I think Ross's deep balls will be more than just a 9 pattern, but a play where he suckers a DB in on a quick hitch, only to flip his hips and blow by him once the DB commits.  

Damn, am I excited to see this season.  I think the offense can be downright scary with a new offensive line, a running game that has to be respected, and weapons like AJ Green, Boyd, and Ross on the field together....that is without even discussing our TEs.  

One thing is going to be certain:  It is going to be better than last year by leaps and bounds.  

I think so too. It’s going to be a blast watching all this come together.

Reply/Quote
(06-15-2018, 08:04 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I think so too. It’s going to be a blast watching all this come together.

I agree as well.  I'm getting more and more excited as training camp approaches.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2018, 07:55 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Although I think Dalton doesn't get as much credit as he deserves for arm strength, this is a realistic concern because we have seen Dalton underthrow AJ Green on deep balls, and Ross is faster, especially in terms of his acceleration.  I think Ross's deep balls will be more than just a 9 pattern, but a play where he suckers a DB in on a quick hitch, only to flip his hips and blow by him once the DB commits.  

have seen Dalton overthrow more than under imo....

A lot of the underthrows come from trouble in the pocket generally.

With ross it will probly be get the ball in his hands then let him run down the field
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2018, 07:21 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I think if Ross gets to start at X receiver and Lafell is regulated to 4th WR and rotational slot receiver that he could have a huge impact.  I see Ross as being the guy that, yes, can take the top off a defense.  Make safeties drop.  Force double coverage.  He has the kind of speed and elusiveness to make some huge deep plays.  He can be the Chris Henry to AJ's Chad, with Boyd becoming the slot TJ.  

However, where i see him as an even more important role is in quick screens and slants, where he gets the ball quickly (read: high %) and makes a quick move and could be off to the races.  If they have one guy on him and he plays up on him, he could get torched.  If he plays off, give him all the short passes and force that guy to try and tackle a fart in the wind.

I am probably Ross's biggest fan on here and could see him being a huge impact this year, but he has to start over Lafell.  That is step one.  I don't need an endless debate of "the coaches know what they are doing, look at Carlos Dunlap, blah, blah, blah".  I believe step one is him starting.  If he gets step one, I think he will keep moving on up and be a huge impact.

100%  Experience is what Ross needs more than anything else. Besides trying too hard to play through an injury that he downplayed or didn't report, I think he felt a bit intimidated by things last year. The NFL, with all its speed etc, just needs to become "normal" for him. The sad thing is, we all know how Marvin feels about that. I still remember how he yanked Ross from the Texans game after that fumble (not an egregious play on his part, good play from blind side by the defender) after a long gain. Just KILL the kid's confidence why don't you, Marvin? I'd have chewed him out, but put him right back out there to "get it right." 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2018, 01:48 PM)Shady Wrote: 100%  Experience is what Ross needs more than anything else. Besides trying too hard to play through an injury that he downplayed or didn't report, I think he felt a bit intimidated by things last year. The NFL, with all its speed etc, just needs to become "normal" for him. The sad thing is, we all know how Marvin feels about that. I still remember how he yanked Ross from the Texans game after that fumble (not an egregious play on his part, good play from blind side by the defender) after a long gain. Just KILL the kid's confidence why don't you, Marvin? I'd have chewed him out, but put him right back out there to "get it right." 

That move pissed a lot of us off.

Reply/Quote
(06-15-2018, 01:48 PM)Shady Wrote:  I still remember how he yanked Ross from the Texans game after that fumble (not an egregious play on his part, good play from blind side by the defender) after a long gain. Just KILL the kid's confidence why don't you, Marvin? I'd have chewed him out, but put him right back out there to "get it right." 

(06-15-2018, 01:56 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: That move pissed a lot of us off.

I don't think Ross was going to be on the field much even before he fumbled.  He has admitted that he didn't know the play book and it is very telling that his only play was a reverse where he took a handoff.  So even if he doesn't fumble he was not going tp play more than a handful of snaps.
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2018, 02:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't think Ross was going to be on the field much even before he fumbled.  He has admitted that he didn't know the play book and it is very telling that his only play was a reverse where he took a handoff.  So even if he doesn't fumble he was not going tp play more than a handful of snaps.

Good points. I hope that being there, being healthy and able to participate will help him. I also think it helps that he's not the only one having to learn a new system. They all have to talk more. Nobody's just assuming things. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2018, 07:21 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I think if Ross gets to start at X receiver and Lafell is regulated to 4th WR and rotational slot receiver that he could have a huge impact.  I see Ross as being the guy that, yes, can take the top off a defense.  Make safeties drop.  Force double coverage.  He has the kind of speed and elusiveness to make some huge deep plays.  He can be the Chris Henry to AJ's Chad, with Boyd becoming the slot TJ.  

However, where i see him as an even more important role is in quick screens and slants, where he gets the ball quickly (read: high %) and makes a quick move and could be off to the races.  If they have one guy on him and he plays up on him, he could get torched.  If he plays off, give him all the short passes and force that guy to try and tackle a fart in the wind.

I am probably Ross's biggest fan on here and could see him being a huge impact this year, but he has to start over Lafell.  That is step one.  I don't need an endless debate of "the coaches know what they are doing, look at Carlos Dunlap, blah, blah, blah".  I believe step one is him starting.  If he gets step one, I think he will keep moving on up and be a huge impact.

Agree with you on all of this SHRacer, except for you maybe being the biggest Ross fan on here ha.

Ross needs to start as he was Drafted to be the starter opposite AJ. He has rare skills where he can take one play at
any moment and go the distance. This is scary stuff for opposing Defenses and he is impressing everyone this year.

Lafell is a solid, experienced, smart backup. Use him as such.

Ross can blow the doors off teams if they don't account for him properly. Like you said, if the CB is playing too far off
hit him on Shot Slant or Screen, if they miss him he is gone. If they play up tight and miss him he is really gone for a
long TD, saw this with a very good CB at USC in college lol
Reply/Quote

Ross was the pick I wanted. Now the Bengals MUST figure how to get the ball to the FASTEST guy in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
We'll just have wait to see Ross in live football games before annointing him the new king of receiving passes. I hope he can bring the goods we've wanted for so long, but for now like everyone else it's all speculative.  Keep in mind that every team will be gunning with their own defensive goods to bring us all back down to earth with our hopes for Ross.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(06-15-2018, 10:08 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: have seen Dalton overthrow more than under imo....

A lot of the underthrows come from trouble in the pocket generally.

With ross it will probly be get the ball in his hands then let him run down the field

Very realistic, and could be big difference in 2018-19.
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2018, 06:55 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Agree with you on all of this SHRacer, except for you maybe being the biggest Ross fan on here ha.

Ross needs to start as he was Drafted to be the starter opposite AJ. He has rare skills where he can take one play at
any moment and go the distance. This is scary stuff for opposing Defenses and he is impressing everyone this year.

Lafell is a solid, experienced, smart backup. Use him as such.

Ross can blow the doors off teams if they don't account for him properly. Like you said, if the CB is playing too far off
hit him on Shot Slant or Screen, if they miss him he is gone. If they play up tight and miss him he is really gone for a
long TD, saw this with a very good CB at USC in college lol

I remember Voch Lombardi's breakdown of that play.  Listened to it many times and always laughed my ass off:  It said something to the effect of:

"You know, there are lots of guys in the NFL that have had off the field issues, a DUI, etc, but this....John Ross is going to get arrested for MURDER!  (replays Adoree Jackson getting spun in to the ground several times and giggles) He is going to walk in through the castle gate and they are going to say  SEIZE HIM!"

Oh, I couldn't stop laughing.  
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2018, 12:52 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: My prediction is that Ross will be something special. Last year was a disappointment, that is for sure but he was hurt...I think he was.

Anyway, Ross will be what I thought he would be. I just hope Dalton can get the ball to him and Ross doesn't outrun those bombs, lol.

wasted first round draft pick..looks good n practice and on tape..fast..in the real football world a very lost soul fragile in both mind and body

lol@ outrunning bombs..dude does not even know where he is supposed to be running and when pressure is applied gets even worse
Reply/Quote