Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
John Oliver's rant on publicly funded stadiums (Bengals)
Did anyone catch that last night on his show? He was ranting over sports owners using public funds to get them new stadiums, or threatening to leave. Yes, the Bengals were a target. Still funny....sad, but funny.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
 Link:   http://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2015/07/13/john-oliver-publicly-funded-stadiums-video
Reply/Quote
The only news show on television worth a shit anymore. The Bengals want a ****ing holographic replay machine... lol smh jfc

GO TEAM!!!

I'm with Oliver, **** them. Make them pay!
Reply/Quote
I'm not so sure its accurate to say a city doesn't benefit at all from having a new stadium but I agree the teams should have to use private money instead of public money.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Yeah when I saw this I somehow knew that he would be bringing up the Bengals. I mean of course its a waste of tax money from a purely financial perspective. But if you've ever played sim city or Civilization you would know that stadiums add culture, happiness and reputation to your city. The value of those things are intangible, you know like snake oil or a college education.

Still I'm with JO on billionaires not deserving handouts especially when you got "richards" Whatever like Trump saying poor people don't need any handouts. Hypocritical as f**k. 
Reply/Quote
Wait. .Shouldn't Hamilton county be made to buy the Bengals a super bowl win at least? Come on Joe and Flo Taxpayer. You don't need schools for your kids, hospitals when you're sick or even police and fire services. YOU NEED A SUPER BOWL! And. ..after all. .it's in the contract. .

I have to say that it's deals like these that make me not give a damn about civic pride because it simply no longer means anything. I'm from Dayton and the stadium for the dragons was the worst deal the city ever signed. The restaurant I once worked for thought that the stadium would be money in the bank, but nothing could have been further from the truth. It's not often that you see a proud business owner cry, but that stadium ripped every last penny from the owner and left him penniless.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote