Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
John Ross
(03-09-2018, 01:10 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Grammar lesson.  You said Marvin has a conservative game plan plan like lots of other great coaches.  I assumed you were speaking metaphorically.  

Then you said Marvin being a great coach is 100% accurate.

Here is exactly what i said

(03-06-2018, 10:05 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I also agree that over all Marvin is generally conservative with his gameplan, but so are LOTS OF GREAT NFL COACHES.

Never said Marvin was a great coach.  Just said lots of great coaches are conservative like Marvin.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2018, 02:35 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Here is exactly what i said

Never said Marvin was a great coach.  Just said lots of great coaches are conservative like Marvin.

So now you’re changing it to a simile? Stick to law and not teaching the English language.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2018, 02:40 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: So now you’re changing it to a simile?  Stick to law and not teaching the English language.

I never changed anything.

I just posted the direct quote.

You were the one who misinterpreted it.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2018, 10:05 AM)fredtoast Wrote: This is starting to get ridiculous.  Now throwing the ball every down is not even "aggressive" enough.  Apparently ever single pass has to be a bomb.

In the second drive of the second half against the Steelers Dalton hit two deep passes.  One to green for 60 yards and one to LaFell for 27 yards. (BTW I believe that is the same LaFell who you claimed never got open the entire year)

The point I keep making is that there is a difference between "aggressive" and "playing well".  It seems to me that whenever the Bengals play poorly many people around here just automatically label that as "too conservative".

I also agree that over all Marvin is generally conservative with his gameplan, but so are LOTS OF GREAT NFL COACHES.

The Eagles finished last year ranked 6th in rush attempts and only 13th pass attempts (and 13th in yards per pass attempt), yet they were 3rd in points scored.

The Jags were ranked 1st is rush attempts and only 21st in pass attempts (and 12th in yards per pass attempt) yet they were 5th in points scored.

This idea that you have to constatly be throwing the ball deep to score points is a myth.  Scoring points is about playing BETTER not about running a hurry up offense with lots of deep passes.

(03-07-2018, 10:39 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually Marvin was roasted around here for throwing the ball TOO MUCH in the second half of the '14 playoff game against the Chargers.

That is the problem with all the message board experts around here.  They can say whatever they want and never have to deal with reality.

The them hard facts are just "BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH".  Anything that proves them wrong is ignored.

So you cited two coaches who haven't been in the league long enough to be considered great. They may become great, but not yet. Does this mean you consider yourself a message board expert?

(03-09-2018, 12:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yes I did, and that sentence is 100% accurate.

Do you disagree?

Again, the implication here that Marvin is a great coach and its 100% accurate. Opinion, not fact. You don't just get make stuff up and claim it's true.

(03-09-2018, 12:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Grammar lesson...Using the term "great coach" in the same sentence with "Marvin Lewis" does not mean "Marvin Lewis is a great coach".  All I am saying is a lot of great coaches were conservative much like Marvin is.  So you can't say "Marvin sucks because he is conservative".

You seem to be accusing me of saying this since its quotated. Where did I say this again?

(03-09-2018, 01:10 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Grammar lesson.  You said Marvin has a conservative game plan plan like lots of other great coaches.  I assumed you were speaking metaphorically.  

Then you said Marvin being a great coach is 100% accurate.  That falls into several categories, i.e. opinion, subjective, perhaps even misguided conjecture?  It isn't 100% accurate.  But go ahead and post some snippet of a fact that attempts to prove your assertion.

And where did I say Marvin sucks because he is conservative?

You have ignored all this blah, blah blah

Great coaches are conservative like Marvin. Again this is a simile. So which is it, are lots of great coaches like Marvin or are they great because they are conservative, like marvin?
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2018, 12:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I think you guys might be exaggerating just a bit.

In the four years that Guenther was our DC we ranked FIRST in the league in interceptions.

We were ranked in the top half of the league in pass defense (efficiency) every year and finished in the TOP 5 three of the four years.

Against the Steelers we held them to a 82.6 passer rating while they compiled a 96.3 rating against the rest of the league.

We did struggle some with 3rd down conversions but I think that was more a product of poor coverage skills by our LBs than anything else.

Did you even read what I posted?  I said I liked what I saw early on, but he evolved in to a more conservative coach.  

The Bengals tied for 20th in the league with 11 INTs and dead last with 3 Forced Fumbles.  

Yes, we seem to hold the steelers to decent yardage (yet always seem to lose the game).  That hardly equates to a successful defensive strategy.  
Reply/Quote
I wonder how long John Ross and Marvin Lewis are going to be tied at the hip in this conspiracy fashion...it does intrigue.

How much playing time do we think Ross would have earned with other HCs in the NFL?
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2018, 10:05 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I also agree that Josh Allen is from a non-Power 5 conference, but so are LOTS OF GREAT NFL QBs.

(03-09-2018, 10:04 AM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Did you just use Josh Allen and other great NFL QBs in the same sentence?

(03-09-2018, 12:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yes I did, and that sentence is 100% accurate.

Do you disagree?

(03-09-2018, 12:33 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Depends on how you define it.

(03-09-2018, 12:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Grammar lesson...Using the term "great NFL QB" in the same sentence with "Josh Allen" does not mean "Josh Allen is a great NFL QB".  All I am saying is a lot of great NFL QBs were from non-Power 5 conferences.  So you can't say "Josh Allen sucks because he is from a non-Power 5 conference".

(03-09-2018, 01:10 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Grammar lesson.  You said Josh Allen is from a non-Power 5 conference  like lots of other great NFL QBs.  I assumed you were speaking metaphorically.  

Then you said Josh being a great NFL QB is 100% accurate.  That falls into several categories, i.e. opinion, subjective, perhaps even misguided conjecture?  It isn't 100% accurate.  But go ahead and post some snippet of a fact that attempts to prove your assertion.

"I also agree that Josh Allen is from a non-Power 5 conference, but so are LOTS OF GREAT NFL QBs."

Never said Josh was a great NFL QB.  Just said lots of great NFL QBs are are from non-Power 5 conferences like Josh.

(03-09-2018, 02:40 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: So now you’re changing it to a simile?  Stick to law and not teaching the English language.  

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(03-09-2018, 06:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I never changed anything.

I just posted the direct quote.

You were the one who misinterpreted it.

(03-09-2018, 07:46 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Again, the implication here that Josh is a great NFL QB and its 100% accurate.  Opinion, not fact.  You don't just get make stuff up and claim it's true.

Rolleyes
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2018, 10:42 AM)Nately120 Wrote: How much playing time do we think Ross would have earned with other HCs in the NFL?

Same as he did here.

In general Marvin starts rookies and other young players as much as the average NFL head coach.  Don't see any reason he would be any different with Ross.  I just think it is crazy that any head coach would intentionally do something to make his team look worse and make therefore make himself look worse as a head coach.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2018, 11:29 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Same as he did here.

In general Marvin starts rookies and other young players as much as the average NFL head coach.  Don't see any reason he would be any different with Ross.  I just think it is crazy that any head coach would intentionally do something to make his team look worse and make therefore make himself look worse as a head coach.

Yeah but And Reid played Kareem Hunt after he fumbled on this first play! Ninja
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2018, 11:34 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Yeah but And Reid played Kareem Hunt after he fumbled on this first play! Ninja

Thanks for the ninja.
Reply/Quote