Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
John Ross Haters
(09-09-2019, 02:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I have defended ross against the extreme haters. Posted a list of really good wrs who didn't do much their first two seasons.

On the other hand i have posted stats showing that ross's numbers last year (catch%, yds per target) were among the very worst by any wr with at least 50 targets over the last decade.

I am thrilled shitless to see him have a game like this. Funny thing is that his defenders often argued that the problem was he was targeted deep too often, but his big numbers Sunday were due to being targeted deep.

Ross may be effective on short routes, but short routes don't keep the safety deep. A deep threat may not have big catch numbers but he will create yards for other receivers by keeping the defense loose.

Don't kid yourself. You're still full of shit.  Ninja

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2019, 04:14 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Ross has the ability to make Defenders look ridiculously stupid. Rare talent, dude is slippery as motor oil.

You know, as much as you say a particular player has "rare talent", doesn't that make it less rare?  Ninja Wink

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2019, 03:36 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I guess if playing like ass gets you leading the NFL in passing yards in week 1 including breaking records with a 106.5 QB rating. I want some more ass please !  Shocked

oops, can I say that on here ?

You just did. Pervert!
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2019, 02:26 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: You know, as much as you say a particular player has "rare talent", doesn't that make it less rare?  Ninja Wink

He does have rare speed. No denying it, my friend.

Although he was the beneficiary of safety rolling to Boyd - the second TD was against safety help. Andy finally hit the man at full gallop!

When AJ comes back, the only one who can stop our pass offense is......our OLine.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2019, 11:02 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Bust in the NFL don;t go for 158 yards and 2 TD's in one game.

I never was really down on Ross, but that is a bit of a false statement right there. I didn't even look that hard and found a couple comparisons that most certainly were busts.

Tavon Austin, Nov 11, 2013 against the Colts: 138 yds, 2 TD's. 

Cordarrelle Patterson, Dec 8, 2013 against the Ravens: 141 yds, 1 TD. (admittedly he was a Pro Bowler but that was as a returner)

Justin Blackmon, Nov 18, 2012 against the Texans: 236 yds, 1 TD.

I could have kept digging, but those three alone should illustrate the point. Again, I'm not down on Ross, and wasn't really before either. However one very good game doesn't magically remove the prospect that they'll be considered a bust in the future. 

He's healthy, and had a very good (but still flawed) game on Sunday. If he keeps it up, fantastic. If he doesn't, that sucks but that's alright. He's had numerous injuries and a coaching staff in the past that seemed to have had little to no interest in either utilizing him or helping him establish himself. That isn't the case anymore it would seem, and hopefully now he starts to deliver on the potential that made him a top 10 pick. 
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2019, 02:11 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote:

[Image: 816984-90b5d116b95833ca47a660456fbb6a2a.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(09-10-2019, 02:11 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote:

[Image: 3a5tnt.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2019, 01:51 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: It's about that stupid damn idiom of 'eating crow'. Man, i hate that saying almost as much as i hate the word 'hope' and how much it's thrown about around here...

I hope I never eat a crow.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2019, 04:07 AM)Ravage Wrote: I never was really down on Ross, but that is a bit of a false statement right there. I didn't even look that hard and found a couple comparisons that most certainly were busts.

Tavon Austin, Nov 11, 2013 against the Colts: 138 yds, 2 TD's. 

Cordarrelle Patterson, Dec 8, 2013 against the Ravens: 141 yds, 1 TD. (admittedly he was a Pro Bowler but that was as a returner)

Justin Blackmon, Nov 18, 2012 against the Texans: 236 yds, 1 TD.

I could have kept digging, but those three alone should illustrate the point. Again, I'm not down on Ross, and wasn't really before either. However one very good game doesn't magically remove the prospect that they'll be considered a bust in the future. 

He's healthy, and had a very good (but still flawed) game on Sunday. If he keeps it up, fantastic. If he doesn't, that sucks but that's alright. He's had numerous injuries and a coaching staff in the past that seemed to have had little to no interest in either utilizing him or helping him establish himself. That isn't the case anymore it would seem, and hopefully now he starts to deliver on the potential that made him a top 10 pick. 
Blackmon was a beast just couldn't stay in the league. the other 2 still in the league but never were receivers just new versions of Ted Ginn
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2019, 11:15 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Jinx?

It would not change a thing. Like I said, no bust can get 158 yards and 2 TD's in one game. He now has 9 TD's in 14 games or 11 games he started.

That is not bust by any stretch.

Let's pray all of our team stays healthy and JR can continue to grow and produce each week. I am happy for the guy who has been trashed in this forum by our so called experts who seem to relish when one of our guys struggles versus rooting for them.
He probably has like three hundred yards in two plus seasons. No ready to put him in the HOF just yet. Hopefully he will continue Sundays breakout game. I'm not from Missouri but he will have to 'Show Me".
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2019, 10:05 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: He probably has like three hundred yards in two plus seasons. No ready to put him in the HOF just yet. Hopefully he will continue Sundays breakout game. I'm not from Missouri but he will have to 'Show Me".

Who said he was a star?

Huge difference from calling guy to be cut (haters) and calling him a bust (haters) when the guy is in year #3, has played in 17 games only and started in 12 games, yet already has 9 TD's. You failed to mention that stat, I wonder why??????

Either fans want to root for the success of every player or they stand by their statements condemning players. This thread is about the severe fans who attacked him, not those who were frustrated by his NFL start to his career.

I never said he was a star or next HOF WR, I said he proved he is not a bust and ZT would have been dumb to cut him or even think about it based on his guaranteed contract (I stated in many other threads) plus knowing he was healthy. He showed a 5th gear yesterday, that is good for him and good for this team.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2019, 01:34 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He hasn’t played in 33 games. Started in 12, played in 17.

Again, using "he's only played in 17 of 33 games" as a means to defend the guy can be seen as "low bar" talk.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2019, 10:37 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Again, using "he's only played in 17 of 33 games" as a means to defend the guy can be seen as "low bar" talk.

Well, some were due to injury. We don’t bash guys like WJ3 or Lawson for missing a lot of games early on. The games where his bad play stopped him from seeing the field were indeed on him.

Reply/Quote
(09-10-2019, 10:37 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Again, using "he's only played in 17 of 33 games" as a means to defend the guy can be seen as "low bar" talk.

Using facts is a low bar versus using opinions defending a guy based on your criteria is supposed to be a high bar.  Whatever

Your need to continue to try and find anything to defend your previous positions John Ross should be cut is obvious. 
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2019, 08:51 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Blackmon was a beast just couldn't stay in the league. the other 2 still in the league but never were receivers just new versions of Ted Ginn

Still being in the league isn't an indicator they weren't a bust. Blaine Gabbert and Cedric Ogbuehi are both still in the league, that doesn't mean they aren't colossal busts.

Austin and Patterson have a combined 12 full seasons in the NFL and a whopping total of 1 season with more than 500 yards receiving between them (509 for Austin in 2016). And these aren't guys that were always hurt either. Patterson's played in 95 of a total 96 games from 2013-2018, Austin's played in 82 of 96 games over the same time span. 

Austin's had 21 catches, 187 yards and 2 TD's in the last two complete seasons while playing in 23 games and starting 9 of them. 
Patterson's been a bit better with 52 catches, 556 yards and 3 TD's the last two years while playing in 31 games and starting 7.

Those are not numbers that are acceptable from a 1st round pick, which both of them were (8th and 29th overall respectively). 

And while Blackmon's issues were of a personal nature, that doesn't mean he wasn't a bust. Do you think Johnny Manziel or JaMarcus Russell aren't busts because their issues were personal/off field? I doubt it.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2019, 10:49 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Using facts is a low bar versus using opinions defending a guy based on your criteria is supposed to be a high bar.  Whatever

Your need to continue to try and find anything to defend your previous positions Jone Ross should be cut is obvious. 

I never said John Ross should be cut, in fact I was one of the people who wasn't getting weak in the knees for Willis or Tate or any other WR below him on the depth chart.  I think John Ross should be involved in more plays because whenever he is something crazy happens and I watch football to be entertained, damn it.

It's entirely possible for me to NOT HATE Ross and still find it amusing that the people who were predicting his breakout game needed over 2 years to finally be able to strut around smugly.  In fact, before the game I made the claim that this was going to be Ross' breakout game and I was right.  I just also said if he doesn't break out this week that next week will be his breakout game.

I predicted Ross would finally have his breakout game in week 1 and he did.  I was right, so how about showing me some respect for my daring belief in the kid.  Geez.  And unlike many other Ross lovers I didn't need to be wrong about him breaking out 20+ times before I got it right.  BOOOO YAHHHHHH

Now if you'll excuse me....

[Image: OrangeRealisticGoldenmantledgroundsquirr...ricted.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2019, 03:43 AM)XsandOs Wrote: He does have rare speed. No denying it, my friend.

I know! Just giving Nate shit about how much he says that.  Tongue

Reply/Quote
(09-10-2019, 08:19 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: [Image: 3a5tnt.jpg]

Reply/Quote
You do realize that even those so called "haters" as you say, WANT to see him play well...........right ?
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2019, 10:51 AM)Ravage Wrote: Austin and Patterson have a combined 12 full seasons in the NFL and a whopping total of 1 season with more than 500 yards receiving between them (509 for Austin in 2016). And these aren't guys that were always hurt either. Patterson's played in 95 of a total 96 games from 2013-2018, Austin's played in 82 of 96 games over the same time span. 

This is totally off topic, but if you ever watched Patterson play on a regular basis you would see that he is one of the most gifted open field runners in the league.  He has amazing vision and  is 6'2", 220" with 4.4 speed. For years I predicted he would become a star in the NFL.  He has led the league in kickoff return average three times with 3 of the top 5 season averages of the last 50 years, and Gale Sayers is the only other player in history with a career average of 30.0.  But he has never become a good receiver.  In 6 seasons he has only 1875 receiving yards for 10 tds and 680 yards rushing for 7 tds.  
Reply/Quote