Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
John Ross Haters
(09-10-2019, 11:28 AM)John Shaft Wrote: You do realize that even those so called "haters" as you say,  WANT to see him play well...........right ?

I think most of them do. Some people care more about being right than the team being good, though, so I promise there was a handful of people rooting for him to struggle.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2019, 02:26 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: You know, as much as you say a particular player has "rare talent", doesn't that make it less rare?  Ninja Wink

Haha, quit giving me crap Rfaulk, let me enjoy Ross finally showing that "rare talent" lol
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2019, 12:02 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Haha, quit giving me crap Rfaulk, let me enjoy Ross finally showing that "rare talent" lol

[Image: giphy.gif]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2019, 11:57 AM)NKURyan Wrote: I think most of them do. Some people care more about being right than the team being good, though, so I promise there was a handful of people rooting for him to struggle.

I brought this up due to the extreme positions taken by some (no, not all hate him), but to say some do not hate him based on their extremely personally charged attacks is being gullible.

Some fans spew garbage and then go all in to back up their garbage. It is as simple as that and in JR case, they act like someone kicked their dog daily.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
To be clear, I am not saying JR is close to the talent level of Aj Green. I am just showing facts that illustrate it is not easy to have the day Ross had Sunday. I used Green as same QB throwing and 2 years both were playing together.

Green's best day in 2017 was 5 catches for 5 115 yards and 1 TD and 2018 7 catches for 117 yards and no TD's.
Go back prior to Ross and we see Green had some mammoth days in 2016, 3 games over 169 yards, 2 with 1 TD and one with 1 TD and had 4 100 yard games in 2015, 3 132 or less, but 1 was 10 for 227 and 2 TD's.

We need Green healthy and maybe Ross can divert some coverage we know AJ gets, he is always the #1 attention for an opposing defense's pass defense.

Again, not saying Ross will ever produce like AJ, just showing the past few years AJ has not been able to produce a bigger game in spite of many more starts and playing time than JR.

I also know Bengals go against a stout SF defense who gave up less than 300 yards to TB. He will get a lot more attention, so let's see if he can produce this week and beyond when target is on him.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Honestly, I need to see him put together a string of good performances before I ease up on my opinion of him. Sunday was encouraging, but it was one game. And unfortunately Ross played a major role in the "What Ifs" of Sunday, in regards to those two crucial drops.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2019, 01:02 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Honestly, I need to see him put together a string of good performances before I ease up on my opinion of him.  Sunday was encouraging, but it was one game.  And unfortunately Ross played a major role in the "What Ifs" of Sunday, in regards to those two crucial drops.

Hopkins had 3 drops in 2018, he had 3 last night in 1st quarter. No, Ross is not Hopkins, but even the greats drop balls.

Yes, Ross needs to fix his drops to be a good WR, I agree.

Reply/Quote
After finally having a big game in his 33rd possible game, hopefully his arrow goes up from here on out since he was the #9 overall draft pick.

Myself I never disliked Ross, I just wasnt a fan of drafting him where they did, and I still stand by that. Just like I didn't like the Ced O pick, though I hated that pick more than most. I never hate on the player for where they are drafted tho, but a criticism of the 'gms' that do the drafting.

Now if Ross does end up having a really good season, should I eat crow for not liking where they drafted him? No, because it took a new coach with a new scheme to utilize him. He was drafted for a Marvin Lewis team, which at the time was drafting a round peg for a square hole.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(09-10-2019, 11:23 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote:

[Image: 3a6owl.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2019, 10:51 AM)Ravage Wrote: Still being in the league isn't an indicator they weren't a bust. Blaine Gabbert and Cedric Ogbuehi are both still in the league, that doesn't mean they aren't colossal busts.

Austin and Patterson have a combined 12 full seasons in the NFL and a whopping total of 1 season with more than 500 yards receiving between them (509 for Austin in 2016). And these aren't guys that were always hurt either. Patterson's played in 95 of a total 96 games from 2013-2018, Austin's played in 82 of 96 games over the same time span. 

Austin's had 21 catches, 187 yards and 2 TD's in the last two complete seasons while playing in 23 games and starting 9 of them. 
Patterson's been a bit better with 52 catches, 556 yards and 3 TD's the last two years while playing in 31 games and starting 7.

Those are not numbers that are acceptable from a 1st round pick, which both of them were (8th and 29th overall respectively). 

And while Blackmon's issues were of a personal nature, that doesn't mean he wasn't a bust. Do you think Johnny Manziel or JaMarcus Russell aren't busts because their issues were personal/off field? I doubt it.

Manzel and Russell both sucked neither Patterson or Austin pass the eye test as a receiver. If you want a comparison of a bust it would be Ted Ginn I think he's better. IMO his floor is Desean Jackson. ceiling AB without the drama hopefully
Reply/Quote
I never said I was against Ross at all, at any point. Go back and read what I'd previously written. What I said was that the notion that having one good game immediately means you cannot be a bust is wrong.

As far as Austin and Patterson go...please. Neither pass the eye test? Really? Austin's small but had similar off the charts speed and agility results as Ross did. And Patterson? Yeah, a 6'2 220-240lb WR with world class speed is NO ONE'S idea of what a WR should look like.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2019, 01:34 PM)Ravage Wrote: I never said I was against Ross at all, at any point. Go back and read what I'd previously written. What I said was that the notion that having one good game immediately means you cannot be a bust is wrong.

So, Ross only had 1 game he played well?

So, in your opinion it is easy to score 7 TD's in one season?

I thought fans valued TD's over field goals, but not when Ross is the one who may get credit it appears.

Reply/Quote
(09-10-2019, 01:37 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: So, Ross only had 1 game he played well?

I thought fans valued TD's over field goals, but not when Ross is the one who may get credit it appears.

You're better than this Luvnit2, seriously, go read my post. All I said is that one monster game isn't enough to say someone isn't a bust. That's it. At no point did I knock Ross, not on this thread, and I don't believe in any previous threads either. I want the guy to do well, and am thrilled he had the game he had on Sunday. I simply said that your assertion that "Bust in the NFL don't go for 158 yards and 2 TD's in one game." was incorrect, nothing more, nothing less.

You want further evidence? I can do that. Let's go with a HB this time, just for fun...Jonas Gray Nov 16, 2014 against the Colts: 37 carries, 201 yards, 4 TD's. Now, he's not a draft bust, because he was never drafted. But the guy had literally ONE good game. What'd he do afterwards? In the next 4 games he totaled 80 yards and 1 TD. The following season he ran for 176 yards and 0 TD's and was never heard from again in the NFL. One game does not a career make.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2019, 11:28 AM)John Shaft Wrote: You do realize that even those so called "haters" as you say,  WANT to see him play well...........right ?
Some, maybe.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Too many fans nowadays care more about their fantasy team doing well.Than their actual team doing good
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2019, 01:37 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: So, Ross only had 1 game he played well?

This was the first game were Ross was a major contributor for a full game, and it was nice to see. With his 7 TD's last year, he was at least able to contribute while he struggled in other areas of his game.

I've always had high hopes for Ross and have been disappointed that we haven't seen more production from him. Hopefully, the performance against the Hawks was a good sign of things to come. 
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2019, 01:54 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: This was the first game were Ross was a major contributor for a full game, and it was nice to see. With his 7 TD's last year, he was at least able to contribute while he struggled in other areas of his game.

I've always had high hopes for Ross and have been disappointed that we haven't seen more production from him. Hopefully, the performance against the Hawks was a good sign of things to come. 

This is what I believe that game shows--

A- He has talent.

B- He has heart.

C- He can be a true weapon.

D- He does give a shit.

E-  His teammates think a lot of him, as evidenced by the sheer joy they all displayed at seeing him produce.

F-He continues to look like a TD machine.

G- He is still a work in progress.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(09-10-2019, 01:57 PM)McC Wrote: This is what I believe that game shows--

A- He has talent.

B- He has heart.

C- He can be a true weapon.

D- He does give a shit.

E-  His teammates think a lot of him, as evidenced by the sheer joy they all displayed at seeing him produce.

F-He continues to look like a TD machine.

G- He is still a work in progress.

Agree with all of that, and would add that his confidence level seems much higher.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2019, 02:02 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Agree with all of that, and would add that his confidence level seems much higher.

Yep.  A lot of people spend a lot of time talking about how much confidence matters in the NFL.

Reply/Quote
(09-10-2019, 02:05 PM)McC Wrote: Yep.  A lot of people spend a lot of time talking about how much confidence matters in the NFL.

No doubt it matters a decent bit.
Reply/Quote