Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
John Ross Haters
(09-10-2019, 02:33 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: No doubt it matters a decent bit.

Allow me to paraphrase that rotten Nazi SOB Henry Ford--

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-10-2019, 02:36 PM)McC Wrote: Allow me to paraphrase that rotten Nazi SOB Henry Ford--

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.

That said...they kept targeting him 12 times. He hasn't ever got that in his career.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2019, 10:28 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Who said he was a star?

Huge difference from calling guy to be cut (haters) and calling him a bust (haters) when the guy is in year #3, has played in 17 games only and started in 12 games, yet already has 9 TD's. You failed to mention that stat, I wonder why??????

Either fans want to root for the success of every player or they stand by their statements condemning players. This thread is about the severe fans who attacked him, not those who were frustrated by his NFL start to his career.

I never said he was a star or next HOF WR, I said he proved he is not a bust and ZT would have been dumb to cut him or even think about it based on his guaranteed contract (I stated in many other threads) plus knowing he was healthy. He showed a 5th gear yesterday, that is good for him and good for this team.
Well excuuuuse me. I guess wanting more than 300 yds in two+ seasons out of the #9 pick in the draft sounds extreme to you but I'm not ready to exalt his accomplishments just yet.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2019, 02:42 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That said...they kept targeting him 12 times. He hasn't ever got that in his career.

And the thing is Dalton is the one who targets him.  Marvin didn't hold Andy's family hostage and order him to NOT target Ross and ZT didn't hold Andy's family hostage and order him to NOT NOT target Ross.  If Dalton is targeting Ross 12 times when last year he was targeting him 0-3 times that's what leads me to believe Ross has earned some trust.

Sitting here and trying to decide which HC was nicer to Ross is secondary to Dalton's actions.

Does anyone care to give Dalton a hard time for doing his part in wrecking Ross' confidence in 2018? It's almost like Dalton didn't really believe in Ross. I realize we just want to blame Ross not being involved on Marvin, but that's just a little too convenient.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Maybe the previous regime didn't properly teach Ross about site adjustments, Their were quite a few plays last year where Ross wasn't where he was supposed to be. Trust me coaching matters. If Ross wasn't where he was supposed to be much of the time it's hard to gain a Qb's trust. Also 2nd half of last season we had Driskel who is a terrible QB. Zac seen this pretty early why you think he had him change positions. Yet previous staff thought he was a capable backup
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2019, 04:06 PM)Nately120 Wrote: And the thing is Dalton is the one who targets him.  Marvin didn't hold Andy's family hostage and order him to NOT target Ross and ZT didn't hold Andy's family hostage and order him to NOT NOT target Ross.  If Dalton is targeting Ross 12 times when last year he was targeting him 0-3 times that's what leads me to believe Ross has earned some trust.

Sitting here and trying to decide which HC was nicer to Ross is secondary to Dalton's actions.

Does anyone care to give Dalton a hard time for doing his part in wrecking Ross' confidence in 2018?  It's almost like Dalton didn't really believe in Ross.  I realize we just want to blame Ross not being involved on Marvin, but that's just a little too convenient.

Aj is and always has been Andy's go to guy. It is well documented about Ross not reacting to what Andy saw( running wrong routes). Right now Ross couldn't hold Aj's jock strap when it comes to being a reliable WR. Hopefully he continues to close the gap because that only makes the offense virtually unstoppable.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2019, 11:16 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I know! Just giving Nate shit about how much he says that.  Tongue

(09-10-2019, 12:02 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Haha, quit giving me crap Rfaulk, let me enjoy Ross finally showing that "rare talent" lol

Finally!

It's tough when you know the guy has the tools, but hasn't delivered.

Defending that position was getting to be more and more difficult.

Now only if Ced comes back and plays lights out.........then again maybe not.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2019, 12:24 PM)TKUHL Wrote: John is that you? Sure he played a great game! Made some mistakes but made up for most of them. I’m glad he finally had a breakout game but this has to be the longest told ya so ever. Long time to keep this in your pocket since the day he was drafted.

Not really, very few WR's come in and make a major difference early in their careers. Ross was in a position where he wasn't needed for that and was hurt as well. It's his 3rd Year, this is typically when Wr's make or break.

Look at Chris Conley, he played a few years in KC, was still a non-factor, went to Jax and put up a great first game.

It all depends on where you are and how  you are used there. Watch how Antonio Brown is used in NE now.
Reply/Quote
Just think if he would have caught the 3 or 4 that hit him in the hands and dropped while wide open. But put defense back on him and he jumps over them to catch it. Stone hands when he is wide open.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2019, 07:43 PM)chopperbobby Wrote: Just think if he would have caught the 3 or 4 that hit him in the hands and dropped while wide open. But put defense back on him and he jumps over them to catch it.  Stone hands when he is wide open.

Here's my take. Although he messed up. He came back and made it right. now he has confidence and God knows that seems to be something he has lacked in his tenure here. So I guess the real question we should be asking here is, "How lethal can a confident JRIII be?" Heck, he might start catching everything in sight. We've seen AJ and Boyd drop simple passes and it happens to all receivers. Just more often when your unsure of yourself.

Reply/Quote
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
I guess he wasn't thinking too much this time around, maybe he wasn't thinking anything at all. He should have had 3 TDs instead of 2.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2019, 09:09 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: I guess he wasn't thinking too much this time around, maybe he wasn't thinking anything at all. He should have had 3 TDs instead of 2.

This is utterly false.  It is impossible to have 2 TD's on one drive. Is this how it will work now? As the evidence against him diminishes, falsehoods will be told?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-10-2019, 01:54 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: This was the first game were Ross was a major contributor for a full game, and it was nice to see. With his 7 TD's last year, he was at least able to contribute while he struggled in other areas of his game.

I've always had high hopes for Ross and have been disappointed that we haven't seen more production from him. Hopefully, the performance against the Hawks was a good sign of things to come. 

(09-10-2019, 01:57 PM)McC Wrote: This is what I believe that game shows--

A- He has talent.

B- He has heart.

C- He can be a true weapon.

D- He does give a shit.

E-  His teammates think a lot of him, as evidenced by the sheer joy they all displayed at seeing him produce.

F-He continues to look like a TD machine.

G- He is still a work in progress.

(09-10-2019, 02:02 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Agree with all of that, and would add that his confidence level seems much higher.

Well said, both of you.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2019, 04:34 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Aj is and always has been Andy's go to guy. It is well documented about Ross not reacting to what Andy saw( running wrong routes). Right now Ross couldn't hold Aj's jock strap when it comes to being a reliable WR. Hopefully he continues to close the gap because that only makes the offense virtually unstoppable.

Love AJ, but he drops passes and fumbles too. Has cost us games while doing so.

(09-10-2019, 04:57 PM)XsandOs Wrote: Finally!

It's tough when you know the guy has the tools, but hasn't delivered.

Defending that position was getting to be more and more difficult.

Now only if Ced comes back and plays lights out.........then again maybe not.

Yes, I was getting to a point of having it very hard to defend Ross if he couldn't stay healthy.

Og you saying? Eh, never thought that guy would amount to much except for his one play as a rookie.

Dude wasn't even good in college really.

Ross is a TD maker. Need to just see him grow.

(09-10-2019, 07:33 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Not really, very few WR's come in and make a major difference early in their careers. Ross was in a position where he wasn't needed for that and was hurt as well. It's his 3rd Year, this is typically when Wr's make or break.

Look at Chris Conley, he played a few years in KC, was still a non-factor, went to Jax and put up a great first game.

It all depends on where you are and how  you are used there. Watch how Antonio Brown is used in NE now.

True that, plus AB wasn't even good his first couple years.

(09-10-2019, 07:49 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Here's my take. Although he messed up. He came back and made it right. now he has confidence and God knows that seems to be something he has lacked in his tenure here. So I guess the real question we should be asking here is, "How lethal can a confident JRIII be?" Heck, he might start catching everything in sight. We've seen AJ and Boyd drop simple passes and it happens to all receivers. Just more often when your unsure of yourself.

Yes sir brother Harley, yes sir.

(09-10-2019, 09:09 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: I guess he wasn't thinking too much this time around, maybe he wasn't thinking anything at all. He should have had 3 TDs instead of 2.

You are looking like a fool now Bengalitis, we will see how much more of a fool you look as the season goes on.

Ross can be electric, you don't just throw these type of players to the side and move on to scrubs.

Given the chances he will be a difference maker.
Reply/Quote
What's great is that John Ross knows he can better
And wants to be BETTER!
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2019, 11:02 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Time to step up and say you were wrong. If you ignored his 7 TD's in 2018 and ignored he was hurt a rookie and jumped to the conclusion John Ross was a bust, then time to take your medicine and eat crow.

Bust in the NFL don;t go for 158 yards and 2 TD's in one game.

Seriously, I have said all along, don't be too quick to judge, root for his success and not his demise. He made our offense look potentially dangerous and it was fun to watch.

My hope is we can get a healthy Green, Boyd and Ross on the field sooner than later. We on't be Patriot good (man they look Bush and Steelers defense look bad (no AB yet) last night. Bush was getting beat all over the field, his tackles were 8 to 10 yards down field, tough night for the rookie LB on their defense.

But, I digressed.

Eat crow baby.

I stayed a Ross supporter, and even called "a couple big plays that lead to scores" in another thread for this game.

However, he needs to improve his consistency before I am willing to serve up crow to his doubters.  What I can't wait to see is him on the field with Boyd, Green, Eifert, and Mixon.  This offense could be lethal.  
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2019, 11:05 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: So exciting to see a another serious WR threat. Boyd is great but you don't fear him taking the top off. I sure hope this continues. Theoretically should only get better with AJ's return. 

Agreed.  There is a synergy between them once Green returns that will allow them to threaten all levels of the defense.  If Willis has a few big games before Green returns, they may do some calculating as to how much they want to/need to pay Green.  It is one game, but we already know Boyd is a solid #2 and Ross can be a game-changer.  

I think the Bengals will do everything they can to ensure Green retires a Bengal and, hopefully, wears the gold jacket as one someday.  
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2019, 11:15 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Jinx?

It would not change a thing. Like I said, no bust can get 158 yards and 2 TD's in one game. He now has 9 TD's in 14 games or 11 games he started.

That is not bust by any stretch.

Let's pray all of our team stays healthy and JR can continue to grow and produce each week. I am happy for the guy who has been trashed in this forum by our so called experts who seem to relish when one of our guys struggles versus rooting for them.

In college, he averaged a TD every 5 touches.  Right now, in the NFL, he has lowered that to a little over every 3 touches.   Shocked
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2019, 12:10 PM)Nately120 Wrote: The OP is going a little hard on the "eat your crow" and "take your medicine" and "admit you were wrong" considering Ross has done plenty (inducing missing the entire pre-season) to earn some skepticism.

I guess the other side of this will be if/when Ross has a bad game again the haters will make a thread asking the Ross supporters to man up and admit they were wrong.  It's just lazy criticism in my opinion.

As I pointed out before, Ross was on the field a lot last year and Dalton wasn't throwing to him...thus far Dalton IS throwing to Ross so if Dalton finally trusts him that's enough for me.  But geez, the guy has 1 good game in his 3rd season so let's dial back the "I never doubted the guy!" smugness.  Geez.

To be fair, a lot of us would be defending some vicious attacks on here if his chances ended with his first drop and the team only scored 6 points.  I am not about waving my hands saying "I was right!" because I was also a guy that really wanted Jordan Willis drafted and he was just released.  

I just think the Ross supporters are deserving of a little chest pounding in light of all the crap the kid has (sometimes fairly) received.  
Reply/Quote