Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
John Ross Returning to Team
(08-20-2020, 09:42 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: What are the odds of getting three consecutive false negatives?

A lot higher than just one false negative.

Thank you, Marcus Welby..
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2020, 09:42 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: What are the odds of getting three consecutive false negatives?

A lot higher than just one false negative.

The bigger issue is that if you are tested too soon after exposure and virus has not incubated then you can get a false negative test result. If the damn thing takes all 14 days to incubate, then there's plenty of room for 3 false negative tests.

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/when-should-you-get-a-covid-19-test-what-about-an-antibody-test#Getting-tested-for-COVID-19-

Quote:The virus’s incubation period is around 5 to 7 days, but it can be up to 14 days.

If you get tested too early after exposure, it can be possible that you have a false-negative test, notes Dr. Abraar Karan, an internal medicine doctor at the Brigham and Women’s Hospital and Harvard Medical School.

Reply/Quote
(08-20-2020, 10:44 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Thank you, Marcus Welby..

You’re welcome, George Washington. You brought up the accuracy issue. I explained how the NFL is mitigating that issue.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2020, 11:34 PM)BengalChris Wrote: The bigger issue is that if you are tested too soon after exposure and virus has not incubated then you can get a false negative test result. If the damn thing takes all 14 days to incubate, then there's plenty of room for 3 false negative tests.

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/when-should-you-get-a-covid-19-test-what-about-an-antibody-test#Getting-tested-for-COVID-19-

That is true. The average incubation period is about a week. Which means a negative PCR test result probably doesn’t include that person’s last week of possible exposure giving some people a false sense of security.

But, the NFL players aren’t in a bubble. So any of the players could test negative during the incubation period and introduce the virus to the team at any time during the season.
Reply/Quote
Can he play NT?
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2020, 11:23 AM)Destro Wrote: Can he play NT?

We don't even know if he can play WR yet. 
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2020, 11:34 AM)Nately120 Wrote: We don't even know if he can play WR yet. 

A++++ post right here.  Good work.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2020, 11:34 AM)Nately120 Wrote: We don't even know if he can play WR yet. 

Fair reply. 
Reply/Quote
Good news, need him out there. He DOES open up the Offense regardless of what others say.

Not near as much as AJ but he does. Have to account for that speed.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2020, 03:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Good news, need him out there. He DOES open up the Offense regardless of what others say.

Not near as much as AJ but he does. Have to account for that speed.

I am with you.

Ross is currently the most polarizing player on the team.  It seems everyone either hates him or loves him.  I am somewhere in the middle.  I don't see him as a game changing star, but right now he is one of our top 3 WRs and he will help our team if he is healthy and playing.

I like Higgens a lot, but I have to see some actual production from a second round rookie before I consider him one of our top 3.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2020, 12:29 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: You’re welcome, George Washington. You brought up the accuracy issue. I explained how the NFL is mitigating that issue.

About that accuracy issue..

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/all-77-positive-coronavirus-tests-for-nfl-were-false-positives/ar-BB18jow2?ocid=spartan-dhp-feeds

Quote:Several teams had to cancel or alter their practice schedules on Sunday after there were numerous positive COVID-19 tests across the league. In total, there were 77 positive tests from 11 different teams. All of those positives were returned from the same lab in New Jersey, which led to re-testing. According to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, all 77 tests that were re-run came back negative overnight on Sunday.

While the results are encouraging, the situation gives us a glimpse into how false positive tests could become an issue during the regular season. We have already seen one star player forced into quarantine because of a false positive.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I just hope his confidence is ok. We all know that’s the only reason he isn’t at the same level as AJ or Julio or Hopkins. He just needs more confidence. Sarcasm
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2020, 10:51 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: About that accuracy issue..

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/all-77-positive-coronavirus-tests-for-nfl-were-false-positives/ar-BB18jow2?ocid=spartan-dhp-feeds

We know about the accuracy issue. It’s an issue with every test including flu tests, strep tests, xrays, and MRIs. It’s more of an issue with Covid testing because these tests are being used with an FDA EUA so manufacturers don’t have to submit validation data to inform us how accurate/inaccurate they are.

And if you have one positive result and one negative result, you’re probably gonna do a third “tie breaker,” right? And the odds of three consecutive tests returning falsely negative or falsely positive are greater than a single test and that reduces the chances someone with Covid will join the team when they shouldn’t. Or be placed on the exempt Covid list when they really aren’t infected. That’s the point of consecutive testing.
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2020, 10:51 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: About that accuracy issue..

What a joke.
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2020, 11:25 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: I just hope his confidence is ok. We all know that’s the only reason he isn’t at the same level as AJ or Julio or Hopkins. He just needs more confidence. Sarcasm

I'm just going to put this out there.   I think Ross is going to stay healthy this year and be a stud.  And we'll have an interesting problem next off season.  Because guys with his kind of speed don't grow on trees.  And he's really the only guy like that on the roster.
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2020, 01:28 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: What a joke.

Today on NFL Network the league announced 0 positives out of 23,260 tests performed between August 12-20.

So those 77 false positives represent a 0.33% false positive rate. Basically, 1/3rd of 1%. That’s pretty damn good.

And repeat testing allowed them to demonstrate they were false positives. That’s 77 players and their close contacts that don’t have to go on the Covid list. This is the opposite of a joke. It is encouraging because they identified a problem and fixed it within days.
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2020, 11:25 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: I just hope his confidence is ok. We all know that’s the only reason he isn’t at the same level as AJ or Julio or Hopkins. He just needs more confidence. Sarcasm

You know, I hear a lot that his confidence dropped and he seems to be mentally stronger compared to the past few years.

I'd really like to hear from him about what caused his confidence to decline: injuries? drops? benching quickly by ML? other?

If anyone does have source of him talking about the why, please share.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2020, 10:33 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Today on NFL Network the league announced 0 positives out of 23,260 tests performed between August 12-20.

So those 77 false positives represent a 0.33% false positive rate. Basically, 1/3rd of 1%. That’s pretty damn good.

And repeat testing allowed them to demonstrate they were false positives. That’s 77 players and their close contacts that don’t have to go on the Covid list. This is the opposite of a joke. It is encouraging because they identified a problem and fixed it within days.

Just to check my math, are you saying something that is 99.967% accurate is not a joke?
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2020, 11:28 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: We know about the accuracy issue. It’s an issue with every test including flu tests, strep tests, xrays, and MRIs. It’s more of an issue with Covid testing because these tests are being used with an FDA EUA so manufacturers don’t have to submit validation data to inform us how accurate/inaccurate they are.

And if you have one positive result and one negative result, you’re probably gonna do a third “tie breaker,” right? And the odds of three consecutive tests returning falsely negative or falsely positive are greater than a single test and that reduces the chances someone with Covid will join the team when they shouldn’t. Or be placed on the exempt Covid list when they really aren’t infected. That’s the point of consecutive testing.

When they test 77 players and say they are all positive and go back and test them again and 100% of those players are negative...

That is a joke.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2020, 01:14 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: When they test 77 players and say they are all positive and go back and test them again and 100% of those players are negative...

That is a joke.

Seventy-seven out of over 23,000 due to a contaminant at one lab which was discovered and fixed in a day.
Reply/Quote