Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
John Ross and his confidence

Where is this confidence that he had in the NCAA? I know he was playing against college talent but a lot of the plays he makes in this highlight reel look so much like Tyreke Hill it’s scary.

Is it a pipe dream that a new coaching staff can find this player hidden inside of him again? Unfortunately I fear that John Ross may never be able to translate his game to the NFLbecause I don’t think he’s with it mentally. But if the new staff can have a healthy AJ Green and Tyler Boyd available, continue to build around Joe Mixon’s success and couple all of that with a John Ross that looks like this?.....My goodness.

Someone get John Ross a shrink.

Reply/Quote
In a Zac Taylor offense, I could envision Ross being used in a similar fashion as Brandin Cooks in LA.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
It's where were the WR screens, where were the short crosser, where were the pick plays....Bill Lazor really failed to use Ross's speed.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 03:55 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: In a Zac Taylor offense, I could envision Ross being used in a similar fashion as Brandin Cooks in LA.

Yes. The Chiefs and the Rams both send WR's in motion and fake WR sweeps A LOT. Then they might throw a screen out of it. It might be a fake. It might be a run with the RB.

I'd love to see an offense like that and I'd see Ross being the guy in motion a lot.

That said, I don't know we can blame all of Ross's issue son the coaches. At some point he has to take responsibility and produce.
Reply/Quote
The difference between how to top offenses are run and what ours looks like is night and day.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 04:04 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That said, I don't know we can blame all of Ross's issue son the coaches. At some point he has to take responsibility and produce.

True, but I think Marvin really didn't like the kid. I have my questions on if MB kinda forced the pick? Either way, I think it's possible to work with the kid and help him regain confidence. Marvin and Lazor handled him poorly.

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 04:04 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yes. The Chiefs and the Rams both send WR's in motion and fake WR sweeps A LOT. Then they might throw a screen out of it. It might be a fake. It might be a run with the RB.

I'd love to see an offense like that and I'd see Ross being the guy in motion a lot.

That said, I don't know we can blame all of Ross's issue son the coaches. At some point he has to take responsibility and produce.

Good point, all of the coaching and game planning in the world can't fix what appeared to be a blatant lack of desire/effort on his part.  That has to come from within.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
It’s gonna be hard to fix him from getting hurt every Time he’s tackled
Reply/Quote
eh, watching that just pisses me off.... no giving up on routes, no drops, no alligator arms when he hears footsteps. I really hoped catching as many td's as he did would do something for his confidence, and still do, but he's gonna have to show me something. If he starts giving up on plays again, I hope Taylor shows him the door....
Reply/Quote
I'll believe it when I see it. Heard way, way too much hype about this guy to last decades. Ross needs to stop blaming everyone else and start making plays, beginning with actually catching the ball. Dude had the worst catch percentage in the NFL this year. Yeah, dead last.

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 04:12 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Good point, all of the coaching and game planning in the world can't fix what appeared to be a blatant lack of desire/effort on his part.  That has to come from within.

I've read about what guys do to run fast 40 times. They lose weight and train specifically for it too.

To me, Ross's game speed just doesn't seem to match is 40 time. In college, his speed may have got him open by 3 yards. In the Pro's...his defender is right there and he just doesn't seem to want to fight for balls or even know how.

I think that's a major thing that he has to adjust to.

Plus, he was drafted way higher than he should have and I think the expectations get to him.

Year 3 is HUGE for a WR. It's probably the make or break year for him. He'll either produce or won't.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 04:16 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I'll believe it when I see it. Heard way, way too much hype about this guy to last decades. Ross needs to stop blaming everyone else and start making plays, beginning with actually catching the ball. Dude had the worst catch percentage in the NFL this year. Yeah, dead last.

While I would never bet that he will produce...I will say that I've seen plenty of guys at WR look lost for 2 years...then have it click in Year 3.

Let's face it, the Bengals coaching was bad. Our offense has no similarities to the Rams or Chiefs. It looks like a totally different game watching them.

Honestly, over the last 16 years...our offense hasn't changed much.
Reply/Quote
John Ross was essentially a rookie last year that did not have the support have the head coach and possibly other coaches on the staff.

It is the coaches responsibility to put players in the best position to be successful. It is the players responsibility to give his all.

My problem with John Ross at this point is it doesn't seem like he has given is all. Maybe this is due to prior history of injuries or lack of understanding of the playbook. But I will say this he did catch a lot of touchdowns. He did flash here and there. I think next season will reveal John Ross's potential.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 03:42 PM)The Real Deal Wrote:
Where is this confidence that he had in the NCAA? I know he was playing against college talent but a lot of the plays he makes in this highlight reel look so much like Tyreke Hill it’s scary.

Is it a pipe dream that a new coaching staff can find this player hidden inside of him again? Unfortunately I fear that John Ross may never be able to translate his game to the NFLbecause I don’t think he’s with it mentally. But if the new staff can have a healthy AJ Green and Tyler Boyd available, continue to build around Joe Mixon’s success and couple all of that with a John Ross that looks like this?.....My goodness.

Someone get John Ross a shrink.

It is mental with Ross, but once he gets it taken care of i still think he can be one of the most electric players in the NFL. Taylor could use him like they use Cooks in LA. That was the problem with Marv and his coaches, they never seemed to use players to their strengths, expecting a change here under Taylor.

Look for Ross to be a breakout player soon. He can be Antonio Brown but faster.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 04:55 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: John Ross was essentially a rookie last year that did not have the support have the head coach and possibly other coaches on the staff.  

It is the coaches responsibility to put players in the best position to be successful.  It is the players responsibility to give his all.  

My problem with John Ross at this point is it doesn't seem like he has given is all.  Maybe this is due to prior history of injuries or lack of understanding of the playbook.  But I will say this he did catch a lot of touchdowns.  He did flash here and there.  I think next season will reveal John Ross's potential.

The whole...he was essentially a rookie narrative in Year 2 because he didn't play much in Year 1...I don't like.

He was here for training camp. He sat in meetings. He practiced at times in Year 1.

In a lot of ways, not being rushed onto the field should be a desireable advantage.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 04:58 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The whole...he was essentially a rookie narrative in Year 2 because he didn't play much in Year 1...I don't like.

He was here for training camp. He sat in meetings. He practiced at times in Year 1.

In a lot of ways, not being rushed onto the field should be a desireable advantage.

Coaching meetings practice and film study cannot replace experience especially the speed of the game at the NFL level.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Lazor regularly on 2nd & 2 to 2nd & 5 lined is offense up in no back sets. That happened while leading too...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 05:01 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Coaching meetings practice and film study cannot replace experience especially the speed of the game at the NFL level.

Practice. And he did practice. And he did get in games.

He apparently looked bad in practice too.

Look, Ross seems like a guy that's going to be nicked up a lot too. Which is another reason it was a bad draft pick. I can count on 2 hands guys under 6 foot tall who are durable, really good NFL WR's.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 05:02 PM)Synric Wrote: Lazor regularly on 2nd & 2 to 2nd & 5 lined is offense up in no back sets. That happened while leading too...

That isn't predictable whatsoever...
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 05:04 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Practice. And he did practice. And he did get in games.

He apparently looked bad in practice too.

Look, Ross seems like a guy that's going to be nicked up a lot too. Which is another reason it was a bad draft pick. I can count on 2 hands guys under 6 foot tall who are durable, really good NFL WR's.

Antonio Brown, OBJ, Jarvis Landry, Emmanuel Sanders, Brandin Cooks, John Brown, Julian Edelman, Deshaun Jackson, Randell Cobb, Ty Hilton....off the top of my head.

Reply/Quote