Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
John Ross may be in limited in Bengals training camp
https://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/7/25/16026102/john-ross-limited-bengals-training-camp-play-some-point-preseason

Quote: The Cincinnati Bengals will open training camp this Friday with most of the 90-man roster cleared for work.

However, first-round draft pick John Ross may not be getting a full workload right away. On Tuesday, head coach Marvin Lewis revealed that Ross, who is still recovering from offseason shoulder surgery, could miss preseason games, though he is expected to return at some point in the preseason.

Quote: Ross was somewhat injury-prone throughout his college career, so the Bengals will do everything they can to ensure he avoids a significant injury early in his rookie season. Along with tearing his ACL in 2015, Ross endured a torn meniscus the year prior, which required two surgeries, including microfracture surgery. His injuries were enough that some NFL teams were scared of drafting him.

The Bengals, however, were very confident his health wouldn’t be an issue in the pros, which is why they spent a top-10 selection on him.

I wonder how long he will be out? This article thinks he won't play until the 3rd preseason game, maybe even the 4th... I hope that it's not going to be like Eifert last year, or Burfict the year before.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2017, 03:48 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: https://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/7/25/16026102/john-ross-limited-bengals-training-camp-play-some-point-preseason

I wonder how long he will be out? This article thinks he won't play until the 3rd preseason game, maybe even the 4th... I hope that it's not going to be like Eifert last year, or Burfict the year before.

As long as he is 100% come the opener and gets some chemistry with Dalton everything should be fine.

The shoulder injury was my only concern with drafting him. His knees are fine from everything i have heard and he
even said they are better than before the injuries. He said himself the shoulder is what has gave him some problems.

It sure would be nice to have him out there opening day against the Ratbirds. His presence alone would be a factor.
Reply/Quote
In before the "WHY DID WE DRAFT AN INJURED PLAYER?!" crowd.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-25-2017, 03:48 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: https://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/7/25/16026102/john-ross-limited-bengals-training-camp-play-some-point-preseason

I don't have an issue with letting him wait.

He's already out there running routes with receivers behind them. He just wasn't catching any balls. He's been following Green in his routes.

Also, CincyJungle doesn't always have the answers, they speculate a lot. Granted, we knew that Ross wasn't going to be 100% by camp. But he's been learning and not slacking off, so that's good at least.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
I'd prefer he miss all the preseason games.
Reply/Quote
I've recently had a lot of contact with orthopedic surgeons, and the general rule is of the three main joint surgeries, knees, hips and shoulders, the most difficult is the shoulder. Toughest rehab of them all.

Interestingly, the best recovery rate belongs to the hip, and second is the knee.

There are successful shoulder surgeries all the time, it's just the toughest rehab, and you know Ross will be working hard at it.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2017, 04:49 PM)Au165 Wrote: I'd prefer he miss all the preseason games.

I'd prefer he gain a touch of chemistry with Dalton before we put him out there myself.

Could lead to interceptions if not.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2017, 05:57 PM)Thundercloud Wrote: I've recently had a lot of contact with orthopedic surgeons, and the general rule is of the three main joint surgeries, knees, hips and shoulders, the most difficult is the shoulder.  Toughest rehab of them all.

Interestingly, the best recovery rate belongs to the hip, and second is the knee.

There are successful shoulder surgeries all the time, it's just the toughest rehab, and you know Ross will be working hard at it.

Didn't know this Thundercloud, nice post.
Reply/Quote
Here's to hoping he fully recovers and has a long, great career here. I'm not that pressed that he be in the thick of the mix right off the jump.
Reply/Quote
Shouldn't be a shock. That was the talk during the draft, that whatever team took him likely would t get to kick the tires until the season starts.
Reply/Quote
No big deal, let him wait. Until then, we have a healthy AJ and Eifert, not to mention Lafell, Core and Malone. This could be Malone's time to shine....
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2017, 08:33 AM)Sled21 Wrote: No big deal, let him wait. Until then, we have a healthy AJ and Eifert, not to mention Lafell, Core and Malone. This could be Malone's time to shine....

Or Cody Core's...

I think Malone is quite a bit further behind Core on the learning curve.  I just hope Core is back 100%.  No offense to LaFell, but the offense is different with Core or Ross out there with AJ.  
Reply/Quote

Rookies needs reps so I am hopeful the team doctors are confident enough to let him do all non contact work. If so, he can run routes and create a chemistry with AD and the back up QB's in practice. Hopefully he is ready to play in a game by the 3rd week of preseason, if so I think he will good to go.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
This shoulder is going to be an issue all season. I can feel it.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Hell, the Bengals sent out AJ Green in a regular season game as a decoy with a gimpy arm, I don't see why they couldn't do the same with John Ross. Ninja
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I'm a glass half full guy. The good news is Dennard will have someone to keep him company on the bench.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2017, 09:01 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Or Cody Core's...

I think Malone is quite a bit further behind Core on the learning curve.  I just hope Core is back 100%.  No offense to LaFell, but the offense is different with Core or Ross out there with AJ.  

Completely agree SHRacer. Hoping Core is good to go, he was the guy standing out this Offseason besides Lawson on
Defense before he had that ankle injury. He has time with Dalton in regular season play and has that speed, size and
physicality that could be really special on the other side of Green if Ross cannot go early.

(07-26-2017, 09:50 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Rookies needs reps so I am hopeful the team doctors are confident enough to let him do all non contact work. If so, he can run routes and create a chemistry with AD and the back up QB's in practice. Hopefully he is ready to play in a game by the 3rd week of preseason, if so I think he will good to go.

Nice post, non contact work can help big time with Receivers and their QB gaining chemistry. Need to do a lot of this
even if Ross cannot play this Preseason. Still holding out hope like you that he gets a bunch of snaps against the Skins
that 3rd Preseason game to really see what we have with this guy. I am extremely excited about Ross opposite AJ.

If this O-line can give Dalton some time i don't see how you cover AJ Green, Tyler Eifert, John Ross, Tyler Boyd and
Joe Mixon all on the field at the same time.
Reply/Quote
Deja vu

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2017, 11:13 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I'm a glass half full guy. The good news is Dennard will have someone to keep him company on the bench.

I figured that would be Joe Mixon's role.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2017, 01:56 PM)jason Wrote: I figured that would be Joe Mixon's role.

What?

Don't see Mixon riding the bench with Gio coming off injury and Hill having an identity crisis.

He is too good to ride the bench i am telling you.
Reply/Quote