Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
John Ross may be in limited in Bengals training camp
(07-25-2017, 04:49 PM)Au165 Wrote: I'd prefer he miss all the preseason games.

I want him in the mix ASAP. I want him to be IMPACT from the get-go. Ross can make  MAJOR impact partly off what h does but ALSO by making it hard to cover anyone else.

If the Bengals become contends, it will be because the MANY good young guys turn into real assets.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2017, 04:06 PM)redwood Wrote: I want him in the mix ASAP. I want him to be IMPACT from the get-go. Ross can make  MAJOR impact partly off what h does but ALSO by making it hard to cover anyone else.

If the Bengals become contends, it will be because the MANY good young guys turn into real assets.

My point is I don't want him risking injury in meaningless games...
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2017, 04:06 PM)redwood Wrote: I want him in the mix ASAP. I want him to be IMPACT from the get-go. Ross can make  MAJOR impact partly off what h does but ALSO by making it hard to cover anyone else.

As long as Ross has good chemistry with Dalton going into the Regular season i am good.

I understand why Au165 doesn't want to see Ross in the Preseason though.

We have had bad luck with rookies injuring themselves in the past in these meaningless games.

Kenny Irons comes to mind who ended up never playing a regular season snap for us.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2017, 05:57 PM)Thundercloud Wrote: I've recently had a lot of contact with orthopedic surgeons, and the general rule is of the three main joint surgeries, knees, hips and shoulders, the most difficult is the shoulder.  Toughest rehab of them all.

Interestingly, the best recovery rate belongs to the hip, and second is the knee.

There are successful shoulder surgeries all the time, it's just the toughest rehab, and you know Ross will be working hard at it.

I can totally believe this.  I tore my rotator cuff when I was 23 and went from being able to throw a softball from the left field corner to home plate without a hop to barely getting it back to the infield.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2017, 02:28 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: What?

Don't see Mixon riding the bench with Gio coming off injury and Hill having an identity crisis.

He is too good to ride the bench i am telling you.
I don't think he should ride the pine. I'm just affraid Marv shows his veterans favoritism, and Mixon doesn't play as much as he should.

Personally, I've seen enough of Hill and Gio. I'm not impressed by either of them. Hill is great inside the 10 yrd line, and Gio picks up the blitz fairly well, but I find them BOTH underwhelming.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2017, 04:33 PM)jason Wrote: I don't think he should ride the pine. I'm just affraid Marv shows his veterans favoritism, and Mixon doesn't play as much as he should.

Personally, I've seen enough of Hill and Gio. I'm not impressed by either of them. Hill is great inside the 10 yrd line, and Gio picks up the blitz fairly well, but I find them BOTH underwhelming.

Marv definately has done this in the past but this might be different how both of these backs as you said have underwhelmed.

Mixon is a rare talent and we need what he brings to the table. We need this new fresh blood.
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2017, 04:33 PM)jason Wrote: I don't think he should ride the pine. I'm just affraid Marv shows his veterans favoritism, and Mixon doesn't play as much as he should.

Can we finally put this myth of high round draft picks just riding the pine.. i have posted evidence to the contrary to this.. rookies just don;t ride the pine especially your projected contributors 1st to 4th rounds.  
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2017, 05:13 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Can we finally put this myth of high round draft picks just riding the pine.. i have posted evidence to the contrary to this.. rookies just don;t ride the pine especially your projected contributors 1st to 4th rounds.  

It was a long time ago when Thornton had to bench himself but it has happened.

True though as of late we have lots of rookies contributing early and who knows if Billings would of started last year
after Peko playing so poorly. WJ3 might of got a lot of snaps as well but we cannot know this cause of the injuries.

Boyd was pretty much a starter last season at Slot. Dalton, Green, Eifert, Bodine, Hall all started as rookies.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2017, 05:57 PM)Thundercloud Wrote: I've recently had a lot of contact with orthopedic surgeons, and the general rule is of the three main joint surgeries, knees, hips and shoulders, the most difficult is the shoulder.  Toughest rehab of them all.

Interestingly, the best recovery rate belongs to the hip, and second is the knee.

There are successful shoulder surgeries all the time, it's just the toughest rehab, and you know Ross will be working hard at it.

I had my shoulder rebuilt last year.  Full thickness tear in rotator cuff, torn labrum, severed supraspinitis, shredded bicep tendon.  As well as many bone spurs and scar tissue to be "cleaned up".  I'm a middle aged strength competitor, but some of those can be traced back to my football days, as a young man.  Now, I'm 48, and it's been 11 months since surgery, and I'm just now getting back to 90% power in some movements.  The rehab process is long and arduous.  In order to make a successful and full recovery, you have to make it your life for a while.  Now, John Ross has youth on his side.  And from what I understand, his surgery was pretty minor in scope, compared to the lifetime of damage that I had repaired.  So, assuming that he was/is fully dedicated to his rehab, I think his prospects of playing are pretty high.

(07-26-2017, 09:01 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Or Cody Core's...

I think Malone is quite a bit further behind Core on the learning curve.  I just hope Core is back 100%.  No offense to LaFell, but the offense is different with Core or Ross out there with AJ.  

I'm a fan of Cody Core.  He has put in the offseason work to make that 2nd year emergence.  Let's just hope that he gets his reps to show how much he's grown.

(07-26-2017, 04:37 PM)Earendil Wrote: I can totally believe this.  I tore my rotator cuff when I was 23 and went from being able to throw a softball from the left field corner to home plate without a hop to barely getting it back to the infield.

I feel for you.  I'm almost a year removed from surgery.  Can exert some movements as good as I ever could, still feeling "rehabish" in some others.  I know part of my problem is metabolic slow down associated with middle age, working against me.  Hope you get your throwing ability back, sooner or later.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Ross was out there running the position drills today (looks crazy fluid); however, he did not participate in the O v D drills
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-28-2017, 05:18 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: It was a long time ago when Thornton had to bench himself but it has happened.

True though as of late we have lots of rookies contributing early and who knows if Billings would of started last year
after Peko playing so poorly. WJ3 might of got a lot of snaps as well but we cannot know this cause of the injuries.

Boyd was pretty much a starter last season at Slot. Dalton, Green, Eifert, Bodine, Hall all started as rookies.

well look over the draft in the 10 years, it was rare that a rookie high pick just rode the pine.. it is way too complicated than that tired answer from so many on the board
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2017, 05:13 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Can we finally put this myth of high round draft picks just riding the pine.. i have posted evidence to the contrary to this.. rookies just don;t ride the pine especially your projected contributors 1st to 4th rounds.  

Didn't mean it as though he wouldn't play. I never claimed that he wouldn't. But in all honesty would you be shocked if Jeremy Hill is on the field on the first series opening day? It doesn't take a great investigator to realize Marvin doesn't always sit rookies. We've all heard of AJ Green. But when established guys are in front of said rookies, he tends to bring them along slowly. For every rookie that does start or carry the load, there is one who doesn't... Geno, Carlos, every CB drafted in the last half decade. Who knows what would have happened with Burfict had Howard not gotten injured... For the record... I was a Thomas Howard fan.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2017, 06:19 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Ross was out there running the position drills today (looks crazy fluid); however, he did not participate in the O v D drills

Yep, was actually surprised they had him out there catching passes. He was making quick bursts and everything. I'm excited for Ross in all honesty.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2017, 09:50 PM)jason Wrote: Didn't mean it as though he wouldn't play. I never claimed that he wouldn't. But in all honesty would you be shocked if Jeremy Hill is on the field on the first series opening day? It doesn't take a great investigator to realize Marvin doesn't always sit rookies. We've all heard of AJ Green. But when established guys are in front of said rookies, he tends to bring them along slowly. For every rookie that does start or carry the load, there is one who doesn't... Geno, Carlos, every CB drafted in the last half decade. Who knows what would have happened with Burfict had Howard not gotten injured... For the record... I was a Thomas Howard fan.

the players are as much as the slow process as coaches... Bengals are very similar to other teams in the NFL, a player has to understand the playbook, the change from playing college to the NFL can be a learning curve... and yes rookies do sit behind veterans that are better at that time and/or know the system.. but we have had many rookies play their 1st year when they have the opportunity.. Take Hall and Joseph , they both stepped into early starting roles as CBs.. 
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2017, 09:50 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: the players are as much as the slow process as coaches... Bengals are very similar to other teams in the NFL, a player has to understand the playbook, the change from playing college to the NFL can be a learning curve... and yes rookies do sit behind veterans that are better at that time and/or know the system.. but we have had many rookies play their 1st year when they have the opportunity.. Take Hall and Joseph , they both stepped into early starting roles as CBs.. 

Yeah. That's the part we don't always see. I mentioned that in the Dunlap thread. It drove me nuts that he wasn't always on the field, but the way he was handled seems to have matured him.

I know Mixon was the first name outta Lap's mouth yesterday about guys who stood out day 1. I think he will blow our other backs outta the water in the preseason.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2017, 05:37 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I feel for you.  I'm almost a year removed from surgery.  Can exert some movements as good as I ever could, still feeling "rehabish" in some others.  I know part of my problem is metabolic slow down associated with middle age, working against me.  Hope you get your throwing ability back, sooner or later.

Thanks, but I'm 41 now. It ain't coming back... lol
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2017, 06:19 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Ross was out there running the position drills today (looks crazy fluid); however, he did not participate in the O v D drills

Good thing for the defense, eh?   LMAO

When will you stop being purple so I can rep you? 
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2017, 10:31 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Good thing for the defense, eh?   LMAO

When he turns into a "lefty" Ninja
Reply/Quote
From watching videos from TC, John Ross looks a lot less limited than I thought he'd be.
On the flip side, not sure anyone else has seen yet, but Chargers HC Anthony Lynn told LA Times that Mike Williams could be out for the season due to injury.
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/892002875102113792
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-30-2017, 10:31 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Good thing for the defense, eh?   LMAO

(07-30-2017, 10:56 PM)Cure4CF Wrote: When he turns into a "lefty" Ninja

Pretty much what Cure said; but whatever. The worst thing is that I cannot give rep.

As to Ross. It looks like we might have made the better choice between him and Mike Williams:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/chargers/2017/07/30/mike-williams-back-injury-los-angeles-chargers/523763001/

Quote:The Los Angeles Chargers will likely have to wait a while to see their top rookie in action.

Wide receiver Mike Williams, the No. 7 overall pick out of Clemson in April's NFL draft, is expected to miss all of training camp as he recovers from a back injury.

"Mike saw our doctors yesterday and he will continue to progress on Dr. Robert Watkins' plan," the team said in a statement. "He will rehab and strengthen his back and is not expected to practice during training camp."
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote