Poll: What do you think John Ross' trade value is ?
1st round pick
2nd round pick
3rd round pick
4th round pick
5th round pick
6th round pick
7th round pick
combination of multiple picks &/or players - explain details in a Post
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
John Ross trade value - If Marvin has new roster Power & upset with Ross = trade ?
(01-08-2018, 11:49 AM)grampahol Wrote: We haven't exactly been overly blessed as a team with first round receivers except one that I can think of. First round players always sound perfect and for some reason unbeknownst to most of us the guys taken in the later rounds seem to do much better.. It really is a matter of math actually because as has been pointed out many many times it really doesn't matter which round players come from and really doesn't matter if they're drafted at all. Each team signs around 20? rookies every season, but fans want to focus on the first one..AS IF the rest don't matter for doodly squat.. 
It's probably a good thing that first round players aren't necessarily expected to be instant super stars every single time their first season. 
Try to imagine yourself being a first round pick then getting beat up like a drum your first season..That's a lot of pressure..I'm surprised there aren't more suicides among first round guys.. They're the top athletes at every level they've been at then suddenly become instant nobodies getting called all manner of nasty names by fans..not to mention other players..
I wouldn't volunteer to be selected in the first round..
There was actually a research paper done around position and draft round. It basically laid out that certain positions had better value in and chances of succeeding in certain rounds. It probably more so than anything highlights the flaws in the ability to develop or scout certain positions more so than anything. 

As for your comment about first rounders and pressure, the large guaranteed contracts probably help with that. Unlike mid and late round picks, most of their contract is guaranteed.
Reply/Quote
The bengals screwed up.

We could have used our top 10 pick on a three time 1,000 yard receiver (two times before this season) that would have added a deep threat. said receiver is still only 24 years old.

I know we would have had to pay on a new contract coming up, but that is life in the NFL.

Oh yea, that guy is Brandin Cooks
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2018, 11:57 AM)Au165 Wrote: There was actually a research paper done around position and draft round. It basically laid out that certain positions had better value in and chances of succeeding in certain rounds. It probably more so than anything highlights the flaws in the ability to develop or scout certain positions more so than anything. 

As for your comment about first rounders and pressure, the large guaranteed contracts probably help with that. Unlike mid and late round picks, most of their contract is guaranteed.
Yeah, a couple of gazillion guaranteed bucks would certainly lessen the pressure.. That's enough money to go hide for the rest of their natural born lives..one first round QB is spending his staying blissfully drunk in Texas and Las Vegas.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 07:44 PM)whodeyfan1 Wrote: Not sure which article that is, but sounds like Marvin is misquoted.  If you watch the Dan Hoard sit down interview on Bengals.com, Hoard asks if he sees Ross playing a "vital" role next year, and Marvin snickered and said, "No, I don't see him playing a vital role next year..."

Quotes like the one you posted above from Marvin and the general feeling by many that Marvin did not want to take Ross are the reason why I question the possibility of Marvin trading Ross; if any one of the 31 other teams make a solid offer.

In my mind, a 9th overall pick should be thought of by his Head Coach as being a "vital role" player fairly soon in that player's career. Unless you are drafting a QB to develop like say the Chiefs did last year at pick #10 overall.

#9 overall is starter material to me at the very least. Usually an every down starter with expectations of having an impact.

Seems logical to me that if Marvin has little faith in John Ross delivering consistent #9 overall value to his team and Marvin has a new found say in shaping the Roster, then Marvin may consider shopping Ross to interested teams leading up to the 2018 Draft.

Marvin can then get a player of his own choosing that he can get excited about, free up the difference in money to use elsewhere and move on from a decision to draft Ross that he apparently was not behind.

If Mike Brown declares John Ross to be untradeable then Marvin didn't get full Roster shaping power assuming Marvin wants to at least entertain trade offers for a player he doesn't seem too high on.

All up to Marvin if he does have the power to trade Ross.

All he would need is one of the 31 other teams to invest a high enough pick in the still untapped potential of Ross.

All options regarding Ross may be on the table after all.

Marvin's own words show a lack of confidence in Ross' role in 2018.
Reply/Quote
All things considered I doubt you would get a very high pick out of Ross ?
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2018, 01:22 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: All things considered I doubt you would get a very high pick out of Ross ?

You may be right.

The Poll, however, is showing a wide range of opinion on Ross' value.

Maybe there is also a wide range among the 31 other teams and a decent deal could be had.

I am curious to see how Marvin shapes this roster, assuming he does have new Power to do so.

Should be interesting...
Reply/Quote
Bet nobodies heart sunk as much as Ross' when Marvin was inked to extension.

As for trading him, just do not see too much value per not showing anything at this level yet and Marvin's foolish comments about him.

Sure he is trying to retract now but the damage has been done to his value already.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I just really hope that the Bengals get out of this drafting 1st rounders that have just had surgeries, sometimes multiple surgeries. That’s a stupid idea in the first round. The Bengals won’t trade Ross now, I’d say that other teams would value him at a 3rd or 4th rounder currently. It’s very stupid to not consider health and injury issues.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 05:11 PM)Stewy Wrote: He as no value.  He hasn't gotten on the field.  Seriously, we couldn't get a 7th for him.

I 'm was thinking the same- only his contract is the obsticle as much as anything.  

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.propelio.com%2Fwp-c...f=1&nofb=1]

Reply/Quote
I can't read through all this but there is no trade happening.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote