Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
John ross
(03-13-2017, 04:19 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: To get deep, the o line has to sustain blocks long enough for a 5 or 7 step drop.  Do we honestly think Ross's talents would be fully utilized with the turnstile the Bengals are trotting out in 2017?

Yes
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2017, 05:04 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: If we are going to use a top 10 pick on the guy, we need more than that.

To me, he's one of the sure fire starters in this draft.  You can't teach speed, and he's been very productive at Washington, he's not just a workout warrior.

What he brings isn't just the vertical shots, but opens up underneath for AJ, Eifert, and Boyd....Maybe a RB out of the backfield.  It isn't just about his production, but about what he helps create for the entire offense.  Synergy.  
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2017, 07:52 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: What he brings isn't just the vertical shots, but opens up underneath for AJ, Eifert, and Boyd....Maybe a RB out of the backfield.  It isn't just about his production, but about what he helps create for the entire offense.  Synergy.  

You can  also throw those little quick screens to him or even the quick throws where they're playing off him.  He is great with the ball in his hands and if he finds a seam, you need a car to catch him.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2017, 04:19 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: To get deep, the o line has to sustain blocks long enough for a 5 or 7 step drop.  Do we honestly think Ross's talents would be fully utilized with the turnstile the Bengals are trotting out in 2017?

It's not just the deep ball, but the ability to take short and intermediate throws the distance.  He gets the S's out of the box so you can run the ball easier.  He keeps your offense on schedule, because he's going to get a minimum 5 yards on "check with me" screens when they don't double him and the CB has to give up a 10 yard cushion.  You can get the ball in his hands with reverses and jet sweeps.

Besides all that, you've got the guy for a minimum of 5 years.  You can fix the OL next year if the kids don't step up.  
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2017, 07:52 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: What he brings isn't just the vertical shots, but opens up underneath for AJ, Eifert, and Boyd....Maybe a RB out of the backfield.  It isn't just about his production, but about what he helps create for the entire offense.  Synergy.  

Completely agree, but I'm feeding him the ball more than 5 times a game if we take him in the top 10.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2017, 11:45 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Completely agree, but I'm feeding him the ball more than 5 times a game if we take him in the top 10.

It's tempting, but you want to have the guy down the stretch.  When you also list names like Eifert, AJ Green, RBs out of the backfield, Boyd, Lafell, Uzomah, and Fisher (that one was a joke), you need to use all your weapons to keep the opposing defenses off balance or they will simply put press coverage on him and have a safety rolling to his side.  

If you add up all those weapons, and figure a good game has 30 attempts, where do you want them all to go?  
Reply/Quote
You guys realize he injured himself running the 40 at the combine and declined to do any other drills, right? Yeah, he had 4.2 speed, but came up limping. How many explosive downfield plays do you think he has left in him. Hard pass.....

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2017, 08:48 AM)Sled21 Wrote: You guys realize he injured himself running the 40 at the combine and declined to do any other drills, right? Yeah, he had 4.2 speed, but came up limping. How many explosive downfield plays do you think he has left in him. Hard pass.....

No.  The hammy tightened up before he ran and then he ran it anyway and posted the 4.22.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2017, 08:48 AM)Sled21 Wrote: You guys realize he injured himself running the 40 at the combine and declined to do any other drills, right? Yeah, he had 4.2 speed, but came up limping. How many explosive downfield plays do you think he has left in him. Hard pass.....

You realize he did practically every on-field drill at his pro day, right?
Watch this and tell me he doesn't look good...

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap3000000792541/John-Ross-runs-routes-during-Washington-Pro-Day
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2017, 08:51 AM)McC Wrote: No.  The hammy tightened up before he ran and then he ran it anyway and posted the 4.22.

Look where he's holding... it's his calves, not his hammy
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2017, 10:08 AM)ochocincos Wrote: You realize he did practically every on-field drill at his pro day, right?
Watch this and tell me he doesn't look good...

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap3000000792541/John-Ross-runs-routes-during-Washington-Pro-Day

Not saying he didn't look good... no way you run a 4.2 and don't look good. I'm saying he's injury prone. We already have a #1 with hammy issues, we don't need another one. I have nothing against the kid, we just have bigger needs....
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2017, 01:01 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Not saying he didn't look good... no way you run a 4.2 and don't look good. I'm saying he's injury prone. We already have a #1 with hammy issues, we don't need another one. I have nothing against the kid, we just have bigger needs....

Now that LaFell has been re-signed, I would agree there are bigger needs. Prior to that, I would have said WR is a big need. The remaining needs would be OL, DE, and LB. I don't think it's a coincidence though that Andre Smith, Connor Barwin, and Keenan Robinson have come in for visits. If any of those players sign, I expect the Bengals will view those areas as less of a need.

Plus, as we all know, the Bengals like to draft BPA in the first round almost regardless of position. If they feel John Ross is their BPA, don't be shocked to see him selected even though they already have Green, LaFell, Boyd, Core, and Erickson.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
i give us maybe a 10% chance of drafting a WR in the first. I just don't see the value with a draft this deep in Wide receivers.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2017, 01:56 PM)Okeana Wrote: i give us maybe a 10% chance of drafting a WR in the first.  I just don't see the value with a draft this deep in Wide receivers.

Then that probably rules out edge rusher as well.

This draft is complete wide open for Cincy.  I could really see them going a ton of different ways and being able to make an argument for all of them:

RB
WR
OT
DT
DE
LB
S
Reply/Quote
If Foster is there at 9 I really think we take him. That said, the Ravens just moved up in front of us at 6, so there's that....
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2017, 02:15 PM)Sled21 Wrote: If Foster is there at 9 I really think we take him. That said, the Ravens just moved up in front of us at 6, so there's that....

Where are you seeing this? I don't see that mentioned anywhere.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2017, 02:40 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Where are you seeing this? I don't see that mentioned anywhere.

Heard it on NFL radio on the way to work this morning....
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2017, 03:33 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Heard it on NFL radio on the way to work this morning....

Sure they didn't mean this?

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Ravens-Trade-Jeremy-Zuttah-To-San-Francisco-49ers/251028ac-8560-4a03-972a-15b0c76fe6ac

Quote:Baltimore has traded center

Jeremy Zuttah[Image: icon-article-link.gif] to the San Francisco 49ers in exchange for moving up 12 picks in the sixth round of this year’s draft.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2017, 03:36 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Sure they didn't mean this?

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Ravens-Trade-Jeremy-Zuttah-To-San-Francisco-49ers/251028ac-8560-4a03-972a-15b0c76fe6ac

No, it was early, I may have mis heard it. I thought they said they moved up to 6th in the draft, putting them 3 in front of us. Pissed me off, but I hadn't had coffee yet, so may have heard it wrong....
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2017, 03:39 PM)Sled21 Wrote: No, it was early, I may have mis heard it. I thought they said they moved up to 6th in the draft, putting them 3 in front of us. Pissed me off, but I hadn't had coffee yet, so may have heard it wrong....

A simple mistake. The Ravens traded their center to the 49ers along with a swap of 6th round picks. Or the radio guy couldn't misread it and said it was the 6th overall pick.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote