Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Johnny Newton needs more surgery

Reply/Quote
Yikes. Like many others I was pounding the table for them to move up in the second for him.
Reply/Quote
Yeah this definitely makes one feel better about the Bengals not getting him. That said, it is possible he comes back and is still a force to be reckoned with. I wish him a speedy recovery.

Come to think of it, I hope all of our draft picks stay healthy. For some of those guys it seems like that might not be a certainty. Nevermind that the Bengals have a history of rookies going on IR.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2024, 06:51 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: Yikes. Like many others I was pounding the table for them to move up in the second for him.

(05-12-2024, 09:12 AM)BoomerFan Wrote: Yeah this definitely makes one feel better about the Bengals not getting him. That said, it is possible he comes back and is still a force to be reckoned with. I wish him a speedy recovery.

Come to think of it, I hope all of our draft picks stay healthy. For some of those guys it seems like that might not be a certainty. Nevermind that the Bengals have a history of rookies going on IR.

Perhaps we should be giving the FO/Scouting credit for doing their due diligence and passing on him in the 2nd?  Newton fell for a reason, and clearly our guys had concerns, like many other teams.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2024, 11:43 AM)Stewy Wrote: Perhaps we should be giving the FO/Scouting credit for doing their due diligence and passing on him in the 2nd?  Newton fell for a reason, and clearly our guys had concerns, like many other teams.

I’m not one to knock their draft process, I don’t scout a thing or care a bit about mock drafts. They obviously know what they are doing a million times more than a yahoo like me.

The wife is U of I alum so we catch some Illinois games (unfortunately most of the time) and were pumped about getting Chase Brown and would’ve felt the same about Newton.
Reply/Quote
Reminds me of Teven Jenkins who some thought was an early draft pick but has had a difficult time seeing the field.
Reply/Quote
Oh wow, that's brutal.

I was reading the initial reports of this and it isn't clear if the Commanders were aware of this injury when they drafted him.

They mentioned that they found it when the medical staff was doing a check up on the other foot injury

Quote:Commanders medical staff discovered the new injury while conducting a check up of his original injury, the team said.

This quote makes it sound like this was literally just discovered. So I'm not sure if this would have showed up during pre-draft check ups.

With that said, if the Bengals conducted a medical exam on him and somehow foresaw this, then good on them for not drafting him in the first round or moving up to get him in the second round.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2024, 09:22 AM)CJD Wrote: Oh wow, that's brutal.

I was reading the initial reports of this and it isn't clear if the Commanders were aware of this injury when they drafted him.

They mentioned that they found it when the medical staff was doing a check up on the other foot injury

This quote makes it sound like this was literally just discovered. So I'm not sure if this would have showed up during pre-draft check ups.

With that said, if the Bengals conducted a medical exam on him and somehow foresaw this, then good on them for not drafting him in the first round or moving up to get him in the second round.

Both feet is brutal, I dont see him playing much this season. Makes more happy with Jenkins and Mount Mckinnley 
Reply/Quote
I’m not sure what the second injury is. The first was a partial Jones fracture. These can take a little longer to heal because one of the issues is lack of blood flow to the injury.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2024, 10:32 AM)kalibengal Wrote: Both feet is brutal, I dont see him playing much this season. Makes more happy with Jenkins and Mount Mckinnley 

There used to be a saying along the lines of "the closer to the ground the site of the injury, the more debilitating it is for a football player", in Newton's case he's going to lose a lot of lower body mass before he can even begin rehab, let along football conditioning and activities.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
That's a tough one and a reminder that there is a ton we (or the media) don't know about these prospects and maybe there are reasons for slides.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2024, 06:27 PM)Bengalholic Wrote:  

This was what I was scared of and happy we didn't trade up for Johnny Newton. There were lots of questions being raised about his foot 
injury before the draft where he was falling into the 2nd. Still think he will be a good player if the surgery goes well because he has great 
hands, but he may not have that burst he had off the line in college now.
Reply/Quote