Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Johnson LT Williams RT ?
Here's some food for thought

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/hear-us-out-jonah-williams-at-right-tackle-and-fred-johnson-at-left-tackle/ar-BB13JGOy?ocid=spartandhp
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Yeah, Sheeran wrote it.

No thanks; again, you drafted the guy to play one spot, where he's proven; why are you moving him to a spot he played in the past?
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
On paper it's not a horrible idea. The idea that the sum of the whole is larger than the parts of the sum makes sense. If the team is absolutely enamored with Fred Johnson then maybe it makes sense, but I think a lot will come down to camp. If your best Tackles are Jonah and Johnson you find a way to get them both on the field. I think rather than assuming Jonah would kick to RT you try them both at both positions and take the best setup into games.
Reply/Quote
Lets start a new tradition.

2019 started a LT who was so bad playing RT he got cut by another team.

2020 do the same with Johnson.

What could possibly go wrong? Johnson looked decent against two teams that ranked 20th and DEAD LAST in sacks last year. That means he will dominate just like Christian Westerman did after looking good in one meaningless game.
Reply/Quote
I know let the best man win and all, but I’d rather have our 1st round pick from Alabama protecting Burrow’s blindside over an UDFA...

Reply/Quote
(05-07-2020, 10:47 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Yeah, Sheeran wrote it.

No thanks; again, you drafted the guy to play one spot, where he's proven; why are you moving him to a spot he played in the past?

Truck I'm old school and I don't think it's what they would or even should do ? I wanna keep Williams at LT

I do however think three things:

1. There's merit to the argument that the rush has changed over the last several years from being based on RDE being the "main man" to a lot closer to equal rush coming off both edges.

2. I still don't think Hart is our best option at RT.

3. LT is still the QB's blind side no matter what, and that matters to a large degree.
Reply/Quote
I get what the article is saying, but you still want to protect your QB's blindside. Left defensive players come in right in the QB's view so, while they may get more sacks, the sacks aren't blindside hits.

I'd be more comfortable with our best player at LT and then let Burrow's ability to scramble account for the RT's relative weakness. If I had to pick one side to be sured up, it would be the one that Burrow can't see, as he can't evade them as easily.
Reply/Quote
Instead of looking at "right side" v "left side" they should look at which side the TE is lined up on. I think that makes a bigger difference in pass protection than the actual personnel.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2020, 10:53 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Lets start a new tradition.

What could possibly go wrong?  Johnson looked decent against two teams that ranked 20th and DEAD LAST in sacks last year.  That means he will dominate just like Christian Westerman did after looking good in one meaningless game.

While I don't know what Fred Johnson will be it is worth mentioning he was an UDFA who did make PIT's 53 to start the year. It was only later in the year he was waived, to make room on the roster due to injuries, and we claimed him off waivers. Had he cleared waivers all indications were that he would return to PIT on their PS and potentially be elevated after they got through their injury issues.

Being an UDFA is a hard battle to make a roster. Jason Peters was an UDFA for the Bills in 06. He was cut at final cut downs and added back to PS after clearing waivers. The next year he became their starting RT and the following year an All Pro LT. Now do I think Fred Johnson is Jason Peters? No, probably not. I however wouldn't simply say that because an UDFA was waived, especially after making a 53, means they aren't good or may not be capable of being a solid starter.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2020, 10:51 AM)Au165 Wrote: On paper it's not a horrible idea. The idea that the sum of the whole is larger than the parts of the sum makes sense. If the team is absolutely enamored with Fred Johnson then maybe it makes sense, but I think a lot will come down to camp. If your best Tackles are Jonah and Johnson you find a way to get them both on the field. I think rather than assuming Jonah would kick to RT you try them both at both positions and take the best setup into games.

However we can get the best 5 in front of JB I'm all for. 
Reply/Quote
People sure do get bored when there's no actual football going on.

Honestly, I don't care who plays where, get the 5 best guys out there and keep Burrow upright and open holes for Mixon.
Reply/Quote
So who has access to PFF or a link to any sources for "pressures" or "hurries" allowed by O-linemen.

I have seen some people quote them so I know someone has them.

All I can find on O-linemen is "penalties" and "sacks allowed".
Reply/Quote
I'm sure everyone will practice at all spots along the line and the best combo will play

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(05-07-2020, 12:09 PM)pally Wrote: I'm sure everyone will practice at all spots along the line and the best combo will play

It's most likely there's not going to be a lot of time to "mix it up" a bunch. But yes they should go in open minded and give anything a chance.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2020, 11:04 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: People sure do get bored when there's no actual football going on.

Honestly, I don't care who plays where, get the 5 best guys out there and keep Burrow upright and open holes for Mixon.

Exactly.  And from what the coaches have said, this is how it will be.  

I do hope, though, that it doesn't take the entirety of TC to figure it out because lines need to work together as a unit to develop chemistry.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(05-07-2020, 10:51 AM)Au165 Wrote: On paper it's not a horrible idea. The idea that the sum of the whole is larger than the parts of the sum makes sense. If the team is absolutely enamored with Fred Johnson then maybe it makes sense, but I think a lot will come down to camp. If your best Tackles are Jonah and Johnson you find a way to get them both on the field. I think rather than assuming Jonah would kick to RT you try them both at both positions and take the best setup into games.

The thing that seems odd to me about it is Johnson played RG at Florida.  I would assume if he can play RG and LT that he could play RT.
Reply/Quote
I went back and watched full game highlights of the Dolphins and second Browns games, where Fred Johnson played a lot. I really wanted to like him. I still don't see what the big deal is. He looks solid in some one on one match ups against guys who are nobody in particular and frankly aren't playing that hard. I mean in the Browns game especially you see some really uninspired football. It's not like he blanked Myles Garrett in that game. In fact I'm seeing a guy who'd get eaten alive by Garrett.

I hope i'm wrong, but I just think there is a lot of wishful thinking about Johnson and our OL in general. We've seen that wishful thinking before and it gets QBs killed.
Reply/Quote
Sheehan misses the point of his own article. As someone in that comment thread said.

The point is that defenses move their best rushers around to go against weaker tackles. If you put your best tackle at LT, then Bosa lines up over RT. If you put your best OT at RT, Bosa lines up over LT.

The answer isn't about where you line your tackles up. It is about having two really good tackles so it doesn't matter where Bosa lines up.

Having two great tackes and using the TE to help the weaker OT (as someone said upthread) are the answers.

Another stud OT should be a consideration next year.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2020, 10:47 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Yeah, Sheeran wrote it.

Williams played both LT and RT in the past.  He is proven at both in the past.

I'm not quite sure what point you're trying to make.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2020, 10:53 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Lets start a new tradition.

What could possibly go wrong?  Johnson looked decent against two teams that ranked 20th and DEAD LAST in sacks last year.  That means he will dominate just like Christian Westerman did after looking good in one meaningless game.

Precisely. 
Reply/Quote