Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Johnson LT Williams RT ?
(05-10-2020, 03:14 PM)Jhowdy54 Wrote: All I know is we're facing Joey Bosa week 1 and Myles Garrett week 2 on a short week. Need the best combo tackles to give Burrow a reasonable chance to succeed.

No we don't.

Of course, we want the best players playing 100%, but it's not like Burrow will be the worst QB ever if he has the worst oline (which he doesn't and won't).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Jonah was a LT in college and was compared to Joe Thomas as a LT. Let him play there. If need be have a TE chipping to support the RT.
Reply/Quote
Williams LT....Johnson RT...There fixed it for you.
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2020, 01:04 PM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote: On the topic of the OL, I encourage people to watch Matt Minnich's breakdown of our OL last year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iktDzo5XM98

It's from January, but I just recently watched it, and took away a few things:

1. Trey Hopkins was our only good lineman last year. And he's really good.
2. Hart was mostly bad early, but settled down. I wish we had something better, but he's not as bad as you might think. In the prime of his career, let's call him average.
3. Fred Johnson did nothing special. I guess the hype is that "transplanted college guard was better than Jerry and at least as good as Glenn, when he gets reps his arrow will shoot way up." Frankly i'm not banking much on that.
4. Billy Price wasn't a total embarrassment at guard. I think he's fine as a backup.
5. Redmond doesn't get much screen time in this video but when he does he's horrible. Still scratching my head over the fact that we tendered him. Somehow, he's still only 25 so maybe that's why.
6. To Racer's point above, there are plenty of plays where (even if Minnich only hints at it) you think sure that's a muddy pocket, but imagine what Burrow throwing to Green and company does in that situation. The "sometimes QBs making OLs look better" narrative starts to take shape and gives on hope. With that said, having a mobile QB isn't an excuse for neglecting the OL, and we shouldn't.
7. In some cases the OL looking bad was Drew Sample being a rookie. In the Jax game Calais Campbell just blew him up a few times. And I can't pin that all on Sample - he's a kid and wasn't up to the task this early in his career. Campbell is a beast. Let's remember, when we failed to trade up for an OL in the 2019 draft, we pivoted by trading down for Sample, figuring a great blocking TE was the next best thing to a better OT. And while I'm as critical of the Sample pick as anybody, I do think he'll make a fine blocking TE in the NFL (which is not worth a 2nd round pick but I digress).
8. I'm still bullish on Mike Jordan. Athletic, big, and smart, but I wish he was a better finisher. Guys slip off his blocks a lot. Maybe that will come as his body develops into an NFL body and he gains confidence.

With all that said, there's reason to believe our OL MIGHT be solid. But there are so many IFs in that it makes you nervous. I mean we *did* have a plan going into last year (first round pick at LT, Cordy Glenn at LG, solid NFL veteran at RG, etc) and look how fast it fell apart.

Good stuff...I was watching it until I had to get on a ZOOM call, but I wanted you (and everyone that reads this) to watch the play at the 11:00 minute mark.  Forget what he is saying about the blocking, etc, but watch Gio.  Watch where he goes and how open he is.  If Dalton sees this, or has just a split second longer, it is potentially a high % checkdown that goes for a big play.  This is what I believe the Bengals have missed on for some time.  Catching a defense over pursuing will not only lead to a big play, but will help slow it down a bit.
Reply/Quote
Interesting tape.

Price seemed to actually be effective at RG - at LG he constantly let the defender get inside on him. Johnson also seems to have some promise and yes the best OL player was Hopkins. Jordan did get somewhat better and the single biggest issue they all seemed to have was not so much getting to the right place but actually holding blocks - you constantly saw defenders pop right off the blocks (partly due to terrible pad level especially by Hart).

The issue I potentially see is Burrow many have some escapability but if the line can't hold one of the edges open he won't have anywhere to escape to.
Reply/Quote
Here's another video breakdown from a Cowboys fans of Xavier Sua-Filo. Frankly it doesn't inspire a ton of confidence. We can see why XSF has mostly been an NFL backup despite being the 33rd overall pick when he came out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3alD9A6NFo
Reply/Quote
I'm actually intrigued by Xavier. He seemed to play much better last year. Maybe this scheme is a perfect fit for him and he blossoms into a average to good starting OG. I'd take that.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2020, 01:14 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I'm actually intrigued by Xavier.  He seemed to play much better last year.   Maybe this scheme is a perfect fit for him and he blossoms into a average to good starting OG.  I'd take that.

Same here, how can you not be intrigued by a guy that went as high as he did and made Fletcher Cox look like he did?

I think Turner must of saw him a fit in his scheme and hopefully XSF continues to rapidly improve here.
Reply/Quote