Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Switching Parties
I was wondering does an Elected Official have to do anything to change Parties. I remember during the POTUS election talk of a Democrat switching to Republican. Is there anything they have to do (besides in this case throw away his sandals and T-Shirts)?

I ask this for a few reasons: I would love to see Rand Paul admit he's a Libertarian and give some legitimacy to a third party. I read somewhere the other day that Trump is a Democrat.

I know I could google this but then I don't get the insight of others on here or generate discussion. So if you have any insight or can cite examples of someone doing it after being elected please chime in.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
As far as I'm aware there is nothing stopping any elected official from Switching parties.
It wouldn't help Trump to switch, he would lose all of his Republican support, not to mention the Left already hates him, so switching would just make both sides hate him.

John Tyler did it first, he went from Whig Party to N/A in 1841 while he was POTUS.
Abraham Lincoln went from Whig to Republican.

Ronald Reagan, Ben Carson, Donald Trump, and me were Democrats who became Republican -- but I only remain in the GOP to affect primary elections because I identify with the TEA Party now.

I believe the next to switch will be Sen. Joe Manchin of West Virginia.
I thought I read somewhere that the guy who thought he was opening Al Capones Vault is switching, lol.

What's his name? I really can't think of it.

EDIT: Geraldo Rivera
Party membership in this country isn't really a thing. Political parties in this country don't have formal membership, so switching between them is as easy as convincing the party you want to work with that they should back you. Registering to vote under a party name doesn't make you a member, running with a letter next to your name doesn't do it, volunteering for a party doesn't do it, even working for the national headquarters doesn't do it.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(11-25-2016, 06:05 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Party membership in this country isn't really a thing. Political parties in this country don't have formal membership, so switching between them is as easy as convincing the party you want to work with that they should back you. Registering to vote under a party name doesn't make you a member, running with a letter next to your name doesn't do it, volunteering for a party doesn't do it, even working for the national headquarters doesn't do it.

^This

There is nothing that says you can't do it at any level. However it is pretty rare because generally the people that elect the person support one party and if that person changes party, many won't vote for them again.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]