Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Johnson/Weld Ad
Johnson on the Ohio ballot as an independent.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(08-22-2016, 06:59 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Ok, to clarify, I was correct, I read some stuff on 1824 incorrectly after Fred asked about my post.

Each state has a single vote. The reps from each state vote and the winning candidate in that state gets the state's 1 vote. If no one wins, there's a "no vote" cast by the state. A candidate needs 26 of 50 to win.

Very strange.

Who gets to decide how a state votes?
(08-25-2016, 12:56 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Very strange.

Who gets to decide how a state votes?

Majority vote from that state's reps in the House.

So that means Alaska's at large delegate has as much say as the combined 50+ from California. If there is a tie within the delegation, that state casts a "no vote". Voting goes on until someone has 26 or more. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(08-25-2016, 09:17 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Majority vote from that state's reps in the House.

So that means Alaska's at large delegate has as much say as the combined 50+ from California. If there is a tie within the delegation, that state casts a "no vote". Voting goes on until someone has 26 or more. 

Thanks for the education.

I would guess that the smaller states are more likely to be more conservative just because high population metro areas seem to be more Democrat.  That won't make much of a difference when the conservatives control the majority, but it could be a big problem if the democrats held a majority of seats but a minority of states.
And..... BOOM !

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/politics-government/election/article98852277.html

Quote:Super PAC that supported Rand Paul now backing Gary Johnson

WASHINGTON
A super PAC that originally supported Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul’s Republican presidential bid has spent $1 million on advertising for Libertarian presidential candidate Gary Johnson.
Purple PAC is among three libertarian-backed super PACs that originally supported Paul. The others, America’s Liberty PAC and Concerned American Voters, have sat out the presidential race since Paul ended his bid in February.

In spite of Paul’s libertarian leanings and some testy exchanges in debates with former rival Donald Trump, he has said he will support the Republican nominee.
Johnson, a former Republican governor of New Mexico, is running on the Libertarian ticket with Bill Weld, a former Republican governor of Massachusetts.

Purple PAC’s co-founder Ed Crane is trying to raise more money to keep airing the pro-Johnson ads up until the time of the presidential debates – the first of which is Sept. 26 – in a bid to boost Johnson’s profile.

“Hopefully, we’ll get some major contributions,” Crane, a co-founder of the libertarian Cato Institute, said in an interview.

A Quinnipiac University poll last week had Johnson at 10 percent and Democrat Hillary Clinton at 45 percent, Trump at 38 percent and Green Party candidate Jill Stein at 4 percent.

Super PACs, which do not coordinate directly with campaigns and can raise unlimited funds, usually spend bigger sums as Election Day draws near.
But Purple PAC’s spending represents an effort to push Johnson up to the 15 percent polling threshold needed for him to share the debate stage with Clinton and Trump.
Crane called that threshold, set by the bipartisan Commission on Presidential Debates, “arbitrary” and said the panel could allow Johnson to debate Clinton and Trump. Just getting him on the stage would drive up his poll numbers, Crane said.
“They have the ability to approve Gary’s participation in the debate,” he said. “And they should.”

Crane said Johnson’s support for social tolerance, a “sane” foreign policy and free-market capitalism resonated with a plurality of Americans and would offer voters an alternative to Clinton and Trump.
“He’s got to take his gloves off a little bit,” Crane said. “It could be very powerful.”
Crane said that Paul, the standard-bearer of libertarian causes early in the presidential campaign, should abandon the Republican nominee and back the candidate that aligned with his own views.
“I think he should be supporting Johnson and trying to raise money for Gary,” he said.

In Kentucky, Paul will face Democrat Jim Gray, the mayor of Lexington, in November. Holding the Kentucky seat could be crucial for Republicans.

They are defending 24 seats in the U.S. Senate this year, and Democrats have to win only a net of five to regain the majority in the chamber they lost in 2014.
Trump may be exerting negative pressure on Senate Republicans in several states, including Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Pennsylvania and New Hampshire.
Stephen Voss, an associate professor of political science at the University of Kentucky, said Paul’s re-election campaign was one of the brighter spots on the Republican map.
“This is a pretty tough year for Republican Senate candidates,” he said. “Given how red a state this is, if I were looking to back a winner, Rand Paul is one of the better bets.”
I'd still like to know how the equal time rules work. It must not count if they are covering "news"...

" If the airing was within a documentary, bona fide news interview, scheduled newscast or an on-the-spot news event, the equal-time rule does not apply. "

OK, so basically the news channels and news programs can report from the campaign trail pretty much exclusively for Repubs and Dems, if they choose. I don't see how a 3rd party has a chance without spending a ton of money - BUT in that case they have to offer equal time for equal pricing.

This is a major hurdle to a viable 3rd party candidate, because pretty much all the major media outlets are essentially extensions of the right/left agendas. Forget the money and everything else you believe about the system being rigged - this is effectively a barrier for any viable 3rd party.
--------------------------------------------------------

(09-01-2016, 07:06 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: I'd still like to know how the equal time rules work.  It must not count if they are covering "news"...

" If the airing was within a documentary, bona fide news interview, scheduled newscast or an on-the-spot news event, the equal-time rule does not apply. "

OK, so basically the news channels and news programs can report from the campaign trail pretty much exclusively for Repubs and Dems, if they choose.  I don't see how a 3rd party has a chance without spending a ton of money - BUT in that case they have to offer equal time for equal pricing.

This is a major hurdle to a viable 3rd party candidate, because pretty much all the major media outlets are essentially extensions of the right/left agendas.  Forget the money and everything else you believe about the system being rigged - this is effectively a barrier for any viable 3rd party.
I've often wondered about the "equal time".

A lot of Gary Johnson supporters are responding to Saturday Night Live's request to suggest a host.

I urge any of you that are on Facebook to go to SNL's page and recommend the same.
Also, to bolster support, "like" any positive comments that mention Johnson.

A lot of us (Johnson Supporters) feel this would fast track him to the debates.

*Edit*- someone noticed......
 http://www.redstate.com/brandon_morse/2016/09/06/snl-asked-host-episode-fans-respond-gary-johnson/

I don't know much of the site, but pretty cool.
(09-06-2016, 02:18 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: I've often wondered about the "equal time".

A lot of Gary Johnson supporters are responding to Saturday Night Live's request to suggest a host.

I urge any of you that are on Facebook to go to SNL's page and recommend the same.
Also, to bolster support, "like" any positive comments that mention Johnson.

A lot of us (Johnson Supporters) feel this would fast track him to the debates.

*Edit*- someone noticed......
 http://www.redstate.com/brandon_morse/2016/09/06/snl-asked-host-episode-fans-respond-gary-johnson/

I don't know much of the site, but pretty cool.

Gary Johnson is funny as hell.  he would make a great guest host for SNL

Everyone needs to check this out.

(09-07-2016, 11:52 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Gary Johnson is funny as hell.  he would make a great guest host for SNL

Everyone needs to check this out.

My favorite part is at the end, where he's willing to admit that a portion of the party followers are "batshit crazy".

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
He's an uber dork, but far, far better than the Clown Prince and Corrupt Robot Grandma.

(09-07-2016, 12:42 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: He's an uber dork, but far, far better than the Clown Prince and Corrupt Robot Grandma.
Agreed.
I think Weld balances things out rather well though.
Weld is scary sharp.

(09-07-2016, 12:46 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Agreed.
I think Weld balances things out rather well though.
Weld is scary sharp.

I'd like to see Weld in the debate (doesn't look like it will happen).  I think he takes whatever free press he can get, and sometimes that appears a bit "forced" to appear hip and appeal to millennials - he's only slightly better at it than Hillary.

But even in more serious interviews he does seem a little off.  His personality is what you'd normally call "unelectable", except maybe this year.

This is pretty discouraging to people hoping for a 3rd party.  If you can't poll 15% this year to get on stage, when could you?  The Libertarians have to start in the House and Senate, possibly on the state level first.  They should start by picking off the disillusioned Tea Partiers that have seen the movement hijacked by the right wing.

(09-07-2016, 03:21 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: I'd like to see Weld in the debate (doesn't look like it will happen).  I think he takes whatever free press he can get, and sometimes that appears a bit "forced" to appear hip and appeal to millennials - he's only slightly better at it than Hillary.

But even in more serious interviews he does seem a little off.  His personality is what you'd normally call "unelectable", except maybe this year.

This is pretty discouraging to people hoping for a 3rd party.  If you can't poll 15% this year to get on stage, when could you?  The Libertarians have to start in the House and Senate, possibly on the state level first.  They should start by picking off the disillusioned Tea Partiers that have seen the movement hijacked by the right wing.
I agree.
Gary is a little awkward and it's unbearable that he cannot get 15%.
Supposedly (and expectedly) there is some criticism of how the polls have been conducted.
Polls have included "potential voters", where people would not vote for either of the main two and were never given another option.
There is also a lack of polling of below th age of 34, where Johnson dominates.

(09-06-2016, 02:18 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: A lot of us (Johnson Supporters) feel this would fast track him to the debates.

Weren't those just simply known as jock straps, in the old days?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(09-07-2016, 05:58 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Weren't those just simply known as jock straps, in the old days?
Yes.
But the new, more technical title looks better on job/credit applications.
Ninja

(08-13-2016, 05:03 PM)Beaker Wrote: Nope. The 2 party system has embedded your brain with the idea that a third option is a waste of time. They poll low because of that belief.

Assuming the poll even includes 3rd party candidates.  Some don't even show them. That's why you see polls like CNN showing Trump leading Clinton 49% to 48%. You're telling me only 3% are voting 3rd party or don't know? BS. They just don't include those options or just don't make those choices available. LA Times has Clinton and Trump tied at 44%. That's it. Nobody else.

The Media supports the 2 party system, so it makes it harder for 3rd party to get any recognition to continue to build support.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
(09-07-2016, 07:29 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Assuming the poll even includes 3rd party candidates.  Some don't even show them. That's why you see polls like CNN showing Trump leading Clinton 49% to 48%. You're telling me only 3% are voting 3rd party or don't know? BS. They just don't include those options or just don't make those choices available. LA Times has Clinton and Trump tied at 44%. That's it. Nobody else.

The Media supports the 2 party system, so it makes it harder for 3rd party to get any recognition to continue to build support.

And you can blame that on the Democratic National and Republican National Committees having so much sway and influence over the election process.  How those committees got so much influence and power to be able to shut down grass roots candidates before they ever really get going, I'm not sure.  It's not right, and it seems to be more of a money deal than anything else.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Now... if he'd just flat out endorse them.

https://twitter.com/MittRomney/status/773631092570062850

(09-07-2016, 08:09 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Now... if he'd just flat out endorse them.

I don't know why Romney is being so gutless.  He's not a politician any more, so why does he feel the need to be so allegiant?

I bet, even know, if Romney and the Koch brothers made a big push for Gary Johnson he could get to 15% and make the debate stage.

That tweet is almost the laziest thing Romney can do, if he really wants to see Gary Johnson on the debate stage.

I gotta say, I've seen some videos of Johnson interviews, and I'm not liking what I'm seeing. I don't want to vote Trump OR Hillary, but the more I research Johnson, the more I find things that I disagree with.

So unless Castle (who I do like) gets on the ballot here in CT, I may end up voting Trump or, more likely, not voting at all.
[Image: giphy.gif]