Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jon Gruden on "Mike and Mike" this morning
Asked about Andy Dalton winning a playoff game. Gruden said that dalton can be a good QB, but just has not played well in the playoffs. Then said the main point he wanted to make was that the entire Bengal team had not played well in the playoffs. Said that even though Dalton had not played well he was not the only problem.
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2015, 07:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Asked about Andy Dalton winning a playoff game.  Gruden said that dalton can be a good QB, but just has not played well in the playoffs.  Then said the main point he wanted to make was that the entire Bengal team had not played well in the playoffs.  Said that even though Dalton had not played well he was not the only problem.

sounds like a politically correct non-answer to me
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think that's a legitimate answer. Some put it all on Dalton, but most know it's not all on him.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2015, 07:20 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: sounds like a politically correct non-answer to me

What the hell does a question about a QB have to do with being "politically correct"?

And even if you don't agree with it it was actually a good answer.
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2015, 08:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What the hell does a question about a QB have to do with being "politically correct"?

And even if you don't agree with it it was actually a good answer.

It was a good answer because it was the only answer.  This is something we all too painfully know.  If you only have two or three guys playing well in a game, you have no chance.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Really, the defensive line has played poorly at least for the last two. And our linebackers are really a pretty average crew, and they may not have played even that well. Thought we should have taken a front seven player in the first round, instead of someone who won't help this year. I usually have no problem with long term stuff, but this is a team on the verge, and when that's the case, I think you should try to do something more immediate.

WTS, I'm not defending Dalton. He's played as bad as anybody in the playoffs.

And though this is always an easy target, I've got to think about the coaches, too. It seems to me we just come out there like we're not ready to play. Where's the fire? The players have to take some of that responsibility, too. How hard should it be to get fired up for the playoffs? Whatever the reason, we just seem like we're half paralyzed at times in the playoffs. Hey, baby, just let it roll.
Reply/Quote
He's right. there's been plenty of blame to go around at one point or another in those games. It's not all on Andy. No, he definitely hasn't played well but it isn't all on him.
Reply/Quote
I think what hurts the most is that out of the 4 games, the defense played moderately well for a couple halves of a couple games and the offense played moderately well for a couple halves of a couple games....but they never seemed to occur at the same time.

The defense pretty much gave us no chance in 2014 and 2011 and the offense pretty much gave us no chance in 2013 and 2012. It sucks, but it is what it is. Andy has sucked and so have the rest of the players and coaches (for the most part).
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2015, 08:42 PM)djs7685 Wrote: I think what hurts the most is that out of the 4 games, the defense played moderately well for a couple halves of a couple games and the offense played moderately well for a couple halves of a couple games....but they never seemed to occur at the same time.

The defense pretty much gave us no chance in 2014 and 2011 and the offense pretty much gave us no chance in 2013 and 2012. It sucks, but it is what it is. Andy has sucked and so have the rest of the players and coaches (for the most part).

Good point, maybe this is the year that the entire team shows up?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Just what I meant. Those losses have been a joint effort.
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2015, 07:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Asked about Andy Dalton winning a playoff game.  Gruden said that dalton can be a good QB, but just has not played well in the playoffs.  Then said the main point he wanted to make was that the entire Bengal team had not played well in the playoffs.  Said that even though Dalton had not played well he was not the only problem.

But why do two wrongs make a right? Thats my question, is it ok Andy played poorly because the rest of the team also played poorly? A true leader rises his team mates around him and brings out the best of them. Andy is not that person. 
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2015, 09:05 PM)GodFather Wrote:  A true leader rises his team mates around him and brings out the best of them. Andy is not that person. 

This is just not true at all.  You can't blame Dalton when the defense plays poorly.
Reply/Quote
Jay Mohr picked the Bengals to finish last in the division with a 5-11 or 6-10 record, and claimed Marvin would be fired. I heard this driving home from work today.  It was all I could do to not pick up the phone to tell him that he's lost his damn mind.  Some guy from Cincinnati beat me to it.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2015, 10:03 PM)jason Wrote: Jay Mohr picked the Bengals to finish last in the division with a 5-11 or 6-10 record, and claimed Marvin would be fired. I heard this driving home from work today.  It was all I could do to not pick up the phone to tell him that he's lost his damn mind.  Some guy from Cincinnati beat me to it.

Dont take a comedian's opinion on football so seriously

Jay Mohr stinks
Reply/Quote
Gruden is exactly right !
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2015, 10:03 PM)jason Wrote: Jay Mohr picked the Bengals to finish last in the division with a 5-11 or 6-10 record, and claimed Marvin would be fired. I heard this driving home from work today.  It was all I could do to not pick up the phone to tell him that he's lost his damn mind.  Some guy from Cincinnati beat me to it.

How dumb is Jay Mohr? lol
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2015, 09:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This is just not true at all.  You can't blame Dalton when the defense plays poorly.

no I'm talking bout the entire offensive team.
Reply/Quote
Dalton has 8 turnovers in the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
I can agree with Gruden for the most part except for the Chargers loss. I pin that one more on Dalton than the rest of the team.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(08-06-2015, 10:47 PM)Blake2Pickens Wrote: Dalton has 8 turnovers in the playoffs.

Tom Brady has 25 or so playoff turnovers.

Dalton > Brady Smirk
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote