Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hobson Sits With MB As Well
(01-21-2018, 12:00 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: "I also made the call because I felt he deserved consideration for all the time and effort he has put in here. He’s been our head coach for 15 years. That ought to be to his credit."

[Image: wtf042.gif]

Yeah. Just the fact he's "been here" is more important than his actual performance on the field.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2018, 01:01 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yeah. Just the fact he's "been here" is more important than his actual performance on the field.

And by that line of thinking, how does he move on from Marvin after he's 'been here' 2 additional years. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2018, 01:18 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: And by that line of thinking, how does he move on from Marvin after he's 'been here' 2 additional years. Mellow

I made a comment in another thread about "Mike being too old to break in a new horse".  It would seem that when he selected Marvin, that was his "big move" of his managerial lifetime.

I don't like it, you don't like it, very few of us do.  Not wish ill thoughts upon the man, but I wish he would just retire.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2018, 01:18 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: And by that line of thinking, how does he move on from Marvin after he's 'been here' 2 additional years. Mellow

Exactly! It just gets harder and harder each year.

(that's what she said)

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2018, 01:27 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I made a comment in another thread about "Mike being too old to break in a new horse".  It would seem that when he selected Marvin, that was his "big move" of his managerial lifetime.

I don't like it, you don't like it, very few of us do.  Not wish ill thoughts upon the man, but I wish he would just retire.

Yeah, just so frustrating, and gets even more so every time he speaks and reaffirms the fact that his mindset and approach hasn't really changed at all in 27 years. 
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2018, 12:00 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: "I also made the call because I felt he deserved consideration for all the time and effort he has put in here. He’s been our head coach for 15 years. That ought to be to his credit."

[Image: wtf042.gif]
"He may not be a great coach, but, hey, he shows up on time every day and that has to count for something."
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote

Good lord.  Can you imagine the first time that a woman broke up with him?  I bet he still isnt over it!!
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2018, 01:48 PM)McC Wrote: "He may not be a great coach, but, hey, he shows up on time every day and that has to count for something."

When Mike say 'he's been our coach 15 years' - he forgets to mention who's responsible for that, who gave him all the extensions, and who's refused to make a change.

It's more or less Mike saying 'Marvin deserves to still be the head coach because I'm willing to keep him around as head coach' or 'Marvin deserves credit for being here for 15 years because I've been employing him for 15 years'.

[Image: cross-eyed-gif-4.gif]
Reply/Quote
"Marvins been here 15 years I owe him that"

No Mike, Marvin is an employee. You OWE the fans a winning team because thats where your money comes from. Remember where your bread is buttered.

This organization will never change until he dies. Let me note I am not wishing the man to die, Im not by any means. My only point is things will continue the same until someone else takes over the major decisions of this club.

Even then I dont know how much it will change, because Katie could just follow in her fathers footsteps of decision making. We wont know for a long time in any case.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2018, 04:26 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: “I played a role in bringing it here. I played a role in keeping it here. I don’t know if there’s much more I can do,” Brown said. “I would hazard to guess the Bengals will be here when I’m not.”

Uh .... Mike ..... can you give us a ballpark of when that might be???

Hilarious

Reply/Quote
(01-21-2018, 01:58 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: Good lord.  Can you imagine the first time that a woman broke up with him?  I bet he still isnt over it!!

Probably still sending valentine cards to some girl he had a crush on in kindergarten despite the fact she's fat, ugly, old and beat her kids and then her grandkids and great grandkids.. But hey,  he owes it to her..

I once said nice things about Mikey, but I don't get any loyalty points.. WHERE'S MY LOYALTY POINTS DAMMIT? 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-20-2018, 04:32 PM)McC Wrote: I don't hope that he leaves the earth.  I just want him to leave the job.

Hes going to call the shots until he takes his last breath.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2018, 07:31 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Hes going to call the shots until he takes his last breath.

No doubt. Listening to a stubborn old man refuse to change when faced with a mountain of quantifiable data that says he is wrong is just flat insane. Compare that with yet another Super Bowl appearance by the Pats, who picked up a couple of Bengals castoffs and found ways to use them to team strengths. Yeah Mike, just a few odd bounces your way and the Bengals could be the Pats. As fans, we’re fuked until this guy retires or dies.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2018, 02:05 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: When Mike say 'he's been our coach 15 years' - he forgets to mention who's responsible for that, who gave him all the extensions, and who's refused to make a change.

It's more or less Mike saying 'Marvin deserves to still be the head coach because I'm willing to keep him around as head coach' or 'Marvin deserves credit for being here for 15 years because I've been employing him for 15 years'.

[Image: cross-eyed-gif-4.gif]

Exactly what went through my head as I read that quote. Mike Brown is proof that a college degree doesn't = intelligence, or at the very least it doesn't = common sense. How could someone with such terrible logic and reasoning skills graduate from Dartmouth? Did daddy help him with that, too?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2018, 11:58 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Exactly what went through my head as I read that quote. Mike Brown is proof that a college degree doesn't = intelligence, or at the very least it doesn't = common sense. How could someone with such terrible logic and reasoning skills graduate from Dartmouth? Did daddy help him with that, too?

Scary. I posted that on the facebook portion of this story. Except for the daddy helping part. 

Maybe the standards were just so much lower back then. Wasn't that just after college was invented?  Cool

Reply/Quote
(01-22-2018, 12:03 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Scary. I posted that on the facebook portion of this story. Except for the daddy helping part. 

Maybe the standards were just so much lower back then. Wasn't that just after college was invented?  Cool

Well, he was the QB for the football team. Maybe back then they lowered standards for football players (and son's of legendary coaches)? 

Fun fact: Mike Brown rushed for 10 TDs in 1956. Can you even imagine that? Pretty awful QB stats though:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/mike-brown-9.html
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2018, 01:27 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I made a comment in another thread about "Mike being too old to break in a new horse".  It would seem that when he selected Marvin, that was his "big move" of his managerial lifetime.

Consider this: This IS Mike's retirement.

(01-22-2018, 12:21 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Well, he was the QB for the football team. Maybe back then they lowered standards for football players (and son's of legendary coaches)? 

Fun fact: Mike Brown rushed for 10 TDs in 1956. Can you even imagine that? Pretty awful QB stats though:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/mike-brown-9.html

Weren't leather helmets prevalent just prior to '56, like during Mike's formative years? Could explain a lot .....
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote