Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Jon Kitna interviewing for QB coach
(01-11-2018, 12:02 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: “This standard says drops are "incomplete passes where the receiver SHOULD have caught the pass with ORDINARY effort."

"Only use this if the receiver is 100 percent at fault and no one else can be blamed for the incompletion," ESPN tells its game charters. "Pass interference that wasn't called/passes thrown just outside the receiver's reach, etc., are NOT drops."

A lot of Dalton’s throws are NOT “ordinary effort” imo. He’s always had a problem with putting the ball too high, even for the 6’4 AJ Green. But, yes there was a FEW this season that were on AJ.

So you admit the system is severely flawed due to expecting QB to throw a perfect pass, but the receiver only graded on drops that are perfect passes. Sorry, it makes no sense. I use my eye test and I hold a potential HOF receiver making mega bucks to a higher standard than a guy that makes 5 to 10 times less than AJ who also play WR or TE.

My eyes showed me AJ had a lot more than 7 drops if you base it on his compensation for supposedly make more than catches throw perfectly by a QB.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2018, 12:13 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: So you admit the system is severely flawed due to expecting QB to throw a perfect pass, but the receiver only graded on drops that are perfect passes. Sorry, it makes no sense. I use my eye test and I hold a potential HOF receiver making mega bucks to a higher standard than a guy that makes 5 to 10 times less than AJ who also play WR or TE.

My eyes showed me AJ had a lot more than 7 drops if you base it on his compensation for supposedly make more than catches throw perfectly by a QB.

And it goes the other way too. AJ has been making Dalton look better for years going up and getting poorly thrown balls, making circus catches, etc.

Also, who are you referring to that makes 5-10 less than AJ?

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2018, 12:13 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: So you admit the system is severely flawed due to expecting QB to throw a perfect pass, but the receiver only graded on drops that are perfect passes. Sorry, it makes no sense. I use my eye test and I hold a potential HOF receiver making mega bucks to a higher standard than a guy that makes 5 to 10 times less than AJ who also play WR or TE.

This. Not bashing AJ or saying he sucks (sad that I have to clarify that each time I make a critique), but my eyes tell me he had more than 4 drops this year. It was a down year across the board for AJ, and most are having extreme difficulty admitting that. He had concentration lapses, caused some picks, misplayed some deep balls, and his production was rough over the last 11 games. Not to mention losing his composure against Ramsey and sulking on the sidelines.

AJ is my dude. Love that guy and his attitude in general...and I fully expect a bounce back. I know that the line hurt him just like anyone else on offense. It was personally his worst year as a pro though, and people should be able to admit that without agenda's coming into play.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Any update on all candidates?
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2018, 12:47 PM)740Bengal Wrote: Any update on all candidates?

Nope. Probably will soon now that the DC is locked.
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2018, 12:23 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: This. Not bashing AJ or saying he sucks (sad that I have to clarify that each time I make a critique), but my eyes tell me he had more than 4 drops this year. It was a down year across the board for AJ, and most are having extreme difficulty admitting that. He had concentration lapses, caused some picks, misplayed some deep balls, and his production was rough over the last 11 games. Not to mention losing his composure against Ramsey and sulking on the sidelines.

AJ is my dude. Love that guy and his attitude in general...and I fully expect a bounce back. I know that the line hurt him just like anyone else on offense. It was personally his worst year as a pro though, and people should be able to admit that without agenda's coming into play.

It would be a little harsh to say that the wheels fell off, because the team did win a few, & kept fighting. TS, they certainly seemed to catch a flat about every forty miles.

I think it's safe to say that the entire team had a tough season.

As for Kitna, I would be good with him as QC. I believe he could help Andy, & help develop another young QB.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2018, 01:25 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: It would be a little harsh to say that the wheels fell off, because the team did win a few, & kept fighting. TS, they certainly seemed to catch a flat about every forty miles.

I think it's safe to say that the entire team had a tough season.

As for Kitna, I would be good with him as QC. I believe he could help Andy, & help develop another young QB.

Every excuse for Dalton could be used for Green and vice versa. Awful line, coordinator switch, no time for new coordinator to really install his offense, dead last run game through 10 weeks meant more attention for AJ, plus Ross didn't get on the field which meant even more focus on AJ.

I'd be frustrated too. Like I said, I fully expect a bounce back, assuming the o-line and schemes are properly addressed. Would be nice if Ross could get out of Marv's dog house as well.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2018, 03:52 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Every excuse for Dalton could be used for Green and vice versa. Awful line, coordinator switch, no time for new coordinator to really install his offense, dead last run game through 10 weeks meant more attention for AJ, plus Ross didn't get on the field which meant even more focus on AJ.

I'd be frustrated too. Like I said, I fully expect a bounce back, assuming the o-line and schemes are properly addressed. Would be nice if Ross could get out of Marv's dog house as well.

Agreed. I didn't like either of the the team's first two picks. I still don't. TS, so far Mixon is towing the line, so he deserves a little credit,I reckon. He has a way to go, but is slowly moving in the right direction.

As for Ross, he's here, he's got big time wheels. He's under contract. If he's healthy, get him involved.

Again, severely disliked both picks.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2018, 04:33 PM)ElderStatesman Wrote: 4th and long. Defense playing for postseason

On the road.

There was a 99.5% chance Balt wins that game.

Haha. The fact you cant identify the luck of that play is astounding

QBR, in theory, would be a better metric than QB rating, since a QBs feet are more important in today's game. The shortcoming in this type of stat is always the subjectivity. As soon as someone can put a static number on every type of pass, then it will be the standard. 

That aside, your "fun fact" had nothing to do with luck. It had to do with finding the right receiver (blown coverage or not) and putting the ball right where it needed to be. Add it the circumstances, and it should be weighted pretty heavily. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2018, 12:47 PM)740Bengal Wrote: Any update on all candidates?

Frank Pollack the Cowboys O-line coach is now our O-line coach. :andy:
Reply/Quote
Hire. Immediately.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2018, 07:06 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Frank Pollack the Cowboys O-line coach is now our O-line coach. :andy:

So, i heard this morning the ivory tinkler was interviewing with the Cowboys. 

Does that mean we just basically switched coaches? Assuming he signs with the Cowboys?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2018, 07:27 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: So, i heard this morning the ivory tinkler was interviewing with the Cowboys. 

Does that mean we just basically switched coaches? Assuming he signs with the Cowboys?

If they sign the ivory tickler yes, we did our part lmao!
Reply/Quote
As fans (correction: best fans Bengals have) in this forum, what can we do to expedite Jon Kitna as our QB coach.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2018, 10:49 AM)Wyche Wrote: Aside from work with a good QB coach, I think Lazor's view of the blocking schemes and the personnel needed (which we seem to have, albeit limited game action in which to judge) will help the run game quite a bit, and the protection.  These two things are more critical to his success than anything.  They MUST get his internal clock set back to zero.....like it was a couple years ago.

Excellent point.  I would call this "priority one" (although some of us said this last year).  My only concern is that they seem to think the defense is set and if you stand still you get passed. 
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2018, 11:10 AM)ElderStatesman Wrote: AJ green dropped 4 passes in 17

Less than Julio and Kelece.

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/stats?season=2017&week=100&category=RECEIVING&opp=0&sort=11&qualified=1&sortOrder=0

Lol

Watch games vs. read stats that don't count balls that should be caught by even middling receivers.  He dropped 7 very catchable balls vs. the Ravens, and tipped two to INTs against the Bills.  He had a poor season for someone being paid QB money.  He isn't even top 10 any more.  

Why are you not banned yet?
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2018, 11:48 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Not sure why you feel the need to keep exaggerating but it was 4.  I’ve provided several links from multiple sites. Look it up.

I am not going to post video links, but he dropped 7.  I don't give a shit what some site said.  I saw the game. He was targeted 10 times, and he had two receptions for a whopping 17 yards.  There were not 4 uncatchable balls.  I don't care if the site said they weren't "drops" as a couple he just didn't keep his feet in bounds or have possession while in bounds, but he had 7 balls that he should have had.  

Defend it all you want.  It was pathetic, and if it was John Ross, they probably would have shot him at halftime.  
Reply/Quote
Add dropped passes stats to every thing else that folks "don't" point to in efforts to show how Andy is portrayed as not being as awesome as he truly is.

Not that anyone in this forum would do such a thing.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2018, 12:23 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: This. Not bashing AJ or saying he sucks (sad that I have to clarify that each time I make a critique), but my eyes tell me he had more than 4 drops this year. It was a down year across the board for AJ, and most are having extreme difficulty admitting that. He had concentration lapses, caused some picks, misplayed some deep balls, and his production was rough over the last 11 games. Not to mention losing his composure against Ramsey and sulking on the sidelines.

Dead on.  It is funny:  If you support Dalton, you are a homer.  If you question the almighty AJ Green, you are an idiot.  
Reply/Quote
So let’s get this straight.

QBR is a bogus stat and it singularly discriminates vs Dalton. And even though dalton is awful in the rankings, he’s still elite.

Passer Rating is a better stat, because it makes dalton look middle of the pack, at best. But he’s still elite.

WR Drops is actually not accurate. And AJ green actually dropped 7 balls in one game, instead of the 4 on the season that the Stat indicates.

the NFL is rigged against the bengals

The media hates us and gives zero respect.

And the refs are biased against us and favor all our opponents.

This is hilarious.

Oh and JOn Kitna will unequivocally be a great hire, because he used to allegedly be scrappy 15 years ago.

I can’t stop laughing at all of these conspiracies
Reply/Quote