Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Jonah Williams’ shoulder injury likely predates time with Bengals
Below is the link to the article, but it basically claims that Williams wore a brace on his left shoulder to stabilize an injured shoulder. I suppose this is plausible and has happened before where a player came to the NFL with a pre-existing injury that the team missed, then got it repaired their rookie year.

'By a review of images available on the Internet, Williams did not use this type of strap on Sept. 9, 2017 but was seen using it on Sept. 16, 2017. In my experience, these types of shoulder straps are not used prophylactically to prevent injury. They are only used when there is an issue, as the strap limits range of motion.'

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/pro-football-doc/story/2019-06-26/pfd-jonah-williams-shoulder-injury-bengals-labrum-brace
Reply/Quote
Boy, our GM is going to lose his job for this oversight! Nah, I kid. I'm sure this is just me demonizing the Mike Brown way as always, but the picks we make never have to have any sort of urgency because our front office jobs are so exceedingly stable. We can take a guy in the first who might not play in year one and will be a "rookie" in year two because there is no rush.

Also, I feel like someone should have pointed this out sooner, which goes back to me remembering how we were all focused on Devin Bush and not on Jonah Williams, even though Williams was declared to be the right pick and the one we really wanted. Ehh, who knows.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
LMFAO...……..Please make it stop. An article written in complete speculation by someone who admitted as much in the article. Wow...it is amazing how people jump onboard when someone prints what they want to hear whether it comes with facts or not.

So the claim of speculation carries more weight than the fact that he played every game in three years at Alabama despite this shoulder injury requiring surgery and he somehow managed to hide this surgery requiring shoulder injury from the entire medical staff at the NFL combine. Oh you cannot make this stuff up. The examination at the combine is one of the most rigorous that any of these players will ever go thru but he was able to hide this injury from them?

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1968230-an-inside-look-into-the-nfl-medical-exam-process-at-the-combine

https://www.eliteorthopaedic.com/blog/nfl-combine/behind-scenes-nfl-combine/

http://a.espncdn.com/nfl/columns/pasquarelli_len/1343353.html

Facts are facts and speculation is speculation.
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2019, 12:04 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Boy, our GM is going to lose his job for this oversight!  Nah, I kid.  I'm sure this is just me demonizing the Mike Brown way as always, but the picks we make never have to have any sort of urgency because our front office jobs are so exceedingly stable.  We can take a guy in the first who might not play in year one and will be a "rookie" in year two because there is no rush.

Also, I feel like someone should have pointed this out sooner, which goes back to me remembering how we were all focused on Devin Bush and not on Jonah Williams, even though Williams was declared to be the right pick and the one we really wanted.  Ehh, who knows.

Someone should have pointed out what sooner? The fact that Jonah Williams unfortunately was injured during workouts at OTAs? Yeah I would have pointed that out prior to the draft selection but unfortunately the crystal ball was in the detail shop getting shined up.
Reply/Quote
Yeah right. He has "pictures showing him wearing a brace" and an NFL staff is not going to question this and order an MRI??? BS. It's obviously not something he was trying to hide, or he would have been wearing long sleeves. This is complete conjecture by someone wanting to sell a story.
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2019, 09:09 AM)OSUfan Wrote: Someone should have pointed out what sooner? The fact that Jonah Williams unfortunately was injured during workouts at OTAs? Yeah I would have pointed that out prior to the draft selection but unfortunately the crystal ball was in the detail shop getting shined up.

It's possible people want to believe he had a lingering injury before he got here, rather than he was 100% healthy when he got here and went from that to "out for the year" almost immediately.

The response to losing someone instantly is that either that something was up with his injury before he got here, or that the Bengals are just cursed and men of the stoutest iron put on stripes and turn to jello.  Well, either that or the human body isn't designed to play football, but that goes against the whole "They're getting paid to play a game!" narrative.
Reply/Quote
It's not like they go through any type of medical evaluation at the combine or anything.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(06-29-2019, 11:32 AM)bfine32 Wrote: It's not like they go through any type of medical evaluation at the combine or anything.

Ok, I'll admit I jumped to blame Mike Brown for this, unfairly.  He's still stunk the place up for 28 years, so I should have been satisfied blaming him for all the other stuff he botched.  Now we just have to deal with the fact that our 1st round pick can't make it through practice without getting hurt and hope it's just an anomaly. 

[Image: 51%2BVryejt4L._SX341_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2019, 11:35 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Ok, I'll admit I jumped to blame Mike Brown for this, unfairly.  He's still stunk the place up for 28 years, so I should have been satisfied blaming him for all the other stuff he botched.  Now we just have to deal with the fact that our 1st round pick can't make it through practice without getting hurt and hope it's just an anomaly. 

[Image: 51%2BVryejt4L._SX341_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg]
My comment was intended toward the writer of the article  and not your commentary on Mike Brown. I think we've just got to accept we are fans of a team whose owner's main concern is the bottom line.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(06-29-2019, 11:38 AM)bfine32 Wrote: My comment was intended toward the writer of the article  and not your commentary on Mike Brown. I think we've just got to accept we are fans of a team whose owner's main concern is the bottom line.

No, but I'm admitting I certainly ran with the narrative that we stupidly signed a guy with a bad shoulder without even looking into it.  It's possible this time we didn't sign a 1st round pick who was destined to be sidelined most/all of year 1 and we still got the same result.  Oof.
Reply/Quote
No reason to dwell on bad luck. Guy was a sturdy starter at Bama for many years... injury is a fluke IMO
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2019, 11:28 AM)Nately120 Wrote: It's possible people want to believe he had a lingering injury before he got here, rather than he was 100% healthy when he got here and went from that to "out for the year" almost immediately.

The response to losing someone instantly is that either that something was up with his injury before he got here, or that the Bengals are just cursed and men of the stoutest iron put on stripes and turn to jello.  Well, either that or the human body isn't designed to play football, but that goes against the whole "They're getting paid to play a game!" narrative.

OTAs are noncontact too.

The shoulder brace thing is compelling. Play through it in college then get drafted high and rehab on the Bengals dime.

I doubt we ever really know.
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2019, 11:32 AM)bfine32 Wrote: It's not like they go through any type of medical evaluation at the combine or anything.

Apparantly teams can order medicals if they think something is up.
Reply/Quote
I just wonder if any of our cheerleaders ever go on IR after they get admitted to the squad...year after year Argh Hehe
Reply/Quote
I seriously doubt Williams went to 2 full seasons in college with a torn landrum which would have jeopardised his future in the NFL...and then passed the scans and full range of motion tests by the combine medical staff as the article in the OP claims.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(06-29-2019, 12:47 PM)Synric Wrote: I seriously doubt Williams went to 2 full seasons in college with a torn landrum which would have jeopardised his future in the NFL...and then passed the scans and full range of motion tests by the combine medical staff as the article in the OP claims.

Maybe Turner is already hazing his new players?!?!?!  Ninja
Reply/Quote

You would think they would take a "test" drive before buying a used car (and do med exams unless the players' union has beef with it). I've known of employers who do more background/medical checks than the Bengals probably do on their draftees.   Hmm

Side note: I was gonna use new car, but they (players) get plenty of tear & wear in college so.
Reply/Quote
Antonio Bryant.
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2019, 01:44 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: Maybe Turner is already hazing his new players?!?!?!  Ninja

He took his arm and put it behind his back and told him to cry uncle, just like a school yard bully from the 1940s.

[Image: fa8b269b-3f44-4a25-985b-056d6f05abae_screenshot.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2019, 09:09 AM)OSUfan Wrote: Someone should have pointed out what sooner? The fact that Jonah Williams unfortunately was injured during workouts at OTAs? Yeah I would have pointed that out prior to the draft selection but unfortunately the crystal ball was in the detail shop getting shined up.

I want to know who this dude was playing up against in OTAs that got him hurt and I was not high on this guy,although he is and will be a good player,however,I believe he is going to be injury prone in the nfl and that is just me on a prediction roll.Looking back we should have draft at least two offensive linemen and all of us on here that did mock drafts said exactly that.We did not need Finley and I think we was a reach.Should have  wanted until 2020 to get our new qb.Jonah Williams will be a bust I am worried about.You cannot get hurt in practice at the jump and tell me you are nfl ready.All the other linemen came out okay.This is just nuts and so insane.Our team is for sure cursed and snakebit.Get ready for Dalton to go on season ending IR,probably in game one against the dirty playing Seahawks,as they play to kill you.Its going to happen.Glenn cannot handle fast edge rushers and he is subject to injury.ZT is going to get gray hair really fast,I just hope the players stay with him.Its going to be a crap shoot. So hope I am just out in left field on all of this,but it could go from really bad to super worse really fast. Cool Sad :paul:
Reply/Quote