Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Jonah Williams’ shoulder injury likely predates time with Bengals
(06-29-2019, 12:47 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: I just wonder if any of our cheerleaders ever go on IR after they get admitted to the squad...year after year   Argh  Hehe

I love our cheerleaders, all of them. Beautiful women are just wonderful.We are blessed each and every day to live in the USA.I WANT ALL OF THEIR AUTOGRAPHS. ThumbsUp :andy: Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2019, 03:06 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: I want to know who this dude was playing up against in OTAs that got him hurt and I was not high on this guy,although he is and will be a good player,however,I believe he is going to be injury prone in the nfl and that is just me on a prediction roll.Looking back we should have draft at least two offensive linemen and all of us on here that did mock drafts said exactly that.We did not need Finley and I think we was a reach.Should have  wanted until 2020 to get our new qb.Jonah Williams will be a bust I am worried about.You cannot get hurt in practice at the jump and tell me you are nfl ready.All the other linemen came out okay.This is just nuts and so insane.Our team is for sure cursed and snakebit.Get ready for Dalton to go on season ending IR,probably in game one against the dirty playing Seahawks,as they play to kill you.Its going to happen.Glenn cannot handle fast edge rushers and he is subject to injury.ZT is going to get gray hair really fast,I just hope the players stay with him.Its going to be a crap shoot. So hope I am just out in left field on all of this,but it could go from really bad to super worse really fast. Cool Sad :paul:

There is nothing, nada, nothing in this guys history to make anyone think he will be injury prone. Talk about hysterics. And I doubt he got hurt in practice. My guess is he got over enthusiastic in the weight room trying to get the jump on the competition and be ready day 1. 
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2019, 04:49 PM)Sled21 Wrote: There is nothing, nada, nothing in this guys history to make anyone think he will be injury prone. Talk about hysterics. And I doubt he got hurt in practice. My guess is he got over enthusiastic in the weight room trying to get the jump on the competition and be ready day 1. 

This makes sense. Fans are freaking out too much over this.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2019, 12:04 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Boy, our GM is going to lose his job for this oversight! Nah, I kid. I'm sure this is just me demonizing the Mike Brown way as always, but the picks we make never have to have any sort of urgency because our front office jobs are so exceedingly stable. We can take a guy in the first who might not play in year one and will be a "rookie" in year two because there is no rush.

Also, I feel like someone should have pointed this out sooner, which goes back to me remembering how we were all focused on Devin Bush and not on Jonah Williams, even though Williams was declared to be the right pick and the one we really wanted. Ehh, who knows.

As long as revenue sharing exists, the minimum spending levels are achieved, and fans mostly fill the stadium there will be no hurry.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2019, 03:06 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: I want to know who this dude was playing up against in OTAs that got him hurt and I was not high on this guy,although he is and will be a good player,however,I believe he is going to be injury prone in the nfl and that is just me on a prediction roll.Looking back we should have draft at least two offensive linemen and all of us on here that did mock drafts said exactly that.We did not need Finley and I think we was a reach.Should have  wanted until 2020 to get our new qb.Jonah Williams will be a bust I am worried about.You cannot get hurt in practice at the jump and tell me you are nfl ready.All the other linemen came out okay.This is just nuts and so insane.Our team is for sure cursed and snakebit.Get ready for Dalton to go on season ending IR,probably in game one against the dirty playing Seahawks,as they play to kill you.Its going to happen.Glenn cannot handle fast edge rushers and he is subject to injury.ZT is going to get gray hair really fast,I just hope the players stay with him.Its going to be a crap shoot. So hope I am just out in left field on all of this,but it could go from really bad to super worse really fast. Cool Sad :paul:
Do not be concerned you are certainly in left field.
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2019, 10:53 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Yeah right. He has "pictures showing him wearing a brace" and an NFL staff is not going to question this and order an MRI??? BS. It's obviously not something he was trying to hide, or he would have been wearing long sleeves. This is complete conjecture by someone wanting to sell a story.

Well it would appear that there are at least two people that ate it up hook, line, and sinker.
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2019, 11:35 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Ok, I'll admit I jumped to blame Mike Brown for this, unfairly.  He's still stunk the place up for 28 years, so I should have been satisfied blaming him for all the other stuff he botched.  Now we just have to deal with the fact that our 1st round pick can't make it through practice without getting hurt and hope it's just an anomaly. 

[Image: 51%2BVryejt4L._SX341_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg]
He has made it thru a whole lot of practices without getting injured. Unless of course your premise is that the University of Alabama does not practice.
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2019, 11:32 AM)bfine32 Wrote: It's not like they go through any type of medical evaluation at the combine or anything.

It would seem the original poster does not want to discuss this glaring fact as I posted three different links detailing the medical examination process at the NFL combine. It seems that some are putting more stock in a single article that was written in, and admitted to in the article, that it was pure speculation.
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2019, 05:34 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Well it would appear that there are at least two people that ate it up hook, line, and sinker.

We all know that the Bengals wouldn't draft a first round lineman with a pre-existing medical condition.
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2019, 09:07 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: We all know that the Bengals wouldn't draft a first round lineman with a pre-existing medical condition.

Isn't the question at hand.
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2019, 09:07 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: We all know that the Bengals wouldn't draft a first round lineman with a pre-existing medical condition.

Actually that is not true at all.

Plus you don't seem to understand the issue being discussed here.  
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2019, 07:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually that is not true at all.

Plus you don't seem to understand the issue being discussed here.  

I guess I need to get better at revealing my sarcasm. Some people are kind of dense.
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2019, 06:29 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Isn't the question at hand.

So the Bengals wouldn't take an injured player again? The possibility is there and whether or not you believe it doesn't matter.
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2019, 10:44 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: So the Bengals wouldn't take an injured player again? The possibility is there and whether or not you believe it doesn't matter.

Well...and the question was posed by the author as to IF the Bengals knew he had the injury and IF they took him anyways because of his talent level.

People can say what they want about the main article being fake, but Williams did wear a shoulder harness on that shoulder in college towards the end of his career. The author also claims that you don't wear those for protective measures like a knee brace and that they are to provide stability for an injury.

I think it's also plausible that he was able to get by with the injury in college and then in the Pros where everyone is good, decided to have it fixed.

At the end of the day though...only Jonah likely knows. Whether it was before or after though, he's out for the year. That's the bottom line.

It apparently makes some people feel good to defend the Bengals by thinking that he got hurt in non-contact OTA's. So be it.
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2019, 09:49 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It apparently makes some people feel good to defend the Bengals by thinking that he got hurt in non-contact OTA's. So be it.

Those OTAs aren't as non-contact as you might think.  The linemen give each other the full challenge, just no cut blocks, etc.  Like I said in another post, he likely could have just lazily stuck his arm straight out, and had it ran into.  That doesn't mean that he was already injured, or his shoulder was hanging on by a thread, just a freak occurrence that can happen when simulating football..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2019, 09:49 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: People can say what they want about the main article being fake

What article?

Lol.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Did the paper retract it?
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2019, 09:49 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Well...and the question was posed by the author as to IF the Bengals knew he had the injury and IF they took him anyways because of his talent level.

People can say what they want about the main article being fake, but Williams did wear a shoulder harness on that shoulder in college towards the end of his career. The author also claims that you don't wear those for protective measures like a knee brace and that they are to provide stability for an injury.

I think it's also plausible that he was able to get by with the injury in college and then in the Pros where everyone is good, decided to have it fixed.

At the end of the day though...only Jonah likely knows. Whether it was before or after though, he's out for the year. That's the bottom line.

It apparently makes some people feel good to defend the Bengals by thinking that he got hurt in non-contact OTA's. So be it.
I could see this scenario: Williams is a beast but he is injured. The fans will go bananas if we draft a injured lineman again. We draft him and then say he got injured after we drafted him. It looks like Bengals bad luck but we still get to sucker the fans into thinking we know what we are doing.
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2019, 10:07 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Those OTAs aren't as non-contact as you might think.  The linemen give each other the full challenge, just no cut blocks, etc.  Like I said in another post, he likely could have just lazily stuck his arm straight out, and had it ran into.  That doesn't mean that he was already injured, or his shoulder was hanging on by a thread, just a freak occurrence that can happen when simulating football..

No shit.....it's as if some have never played sports.....I actually tore the labrum in my left shoulder by sleeping on it weird (of course, I was 40 at the time, so....).....true story.  It sounds and feels like a handful of gravels being rolled around when I move it, and hurt like hell for months.  I guess surgery will be required soon.....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(07-02-2019, 09:49 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Well...and the question was posed by the author as to IF the Bengals knew he had the injury and IF they took him anyways because of his talent level.

Well, if the Bengals knew, why didn't they just have him get the surgery ASAP instead of sending him out to practice and having him lift weights?  Look, I love a good conspiracy theory as much as the next guy, but that just doesn't make any sense.  I can tell you one thing, you won't be lifting weights and playing football with a labrum tear so bad it requires surgery.  Hell, I had a slight tear in my rotator cuff on my right shoulder back in my 20s (just physical therapy and ultrasound, no surgery), and it hurt like the dickens to just clean windows in cars and wash them.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote