Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did Sample take snaps at DT last year?
I know when we drafted him they talked about him being versatile and maybe playing inside on passing downs.

But I don't remember him doing this much. To be honest I never payed that much attention to exactly where he was lining up.
Reply/Quote
Some but not enough.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
They definitely had 3rd down rush packages with Sample playing DT. I couldn't offer a play count, but it was more than a few times.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Some but not alot they had some injuries at DE with Kareem, Ossai, and Hubert that forced Sample outside more.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 02:53 PM)Synric Wrote: Some but not alot they had some injuries at DE with Kareem, Ossai, and Hubert that forced Sample outside more.

he was average IMO and maybe had 1 sack?? ....the Carter pick reminds me of Sample, I just hope hes better
Reply/Quote
Didn’t Sample make a huge play in the game against the Raiders? Not that one play means much, but, I remember thinking that it was nice to hear his name.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 02:58 PM)kalibengal Wrote: he was average IMO and maybe had 1 sack?? ....the Carter pick reminds me of Sample, I just hope hes better

Cam Sample actually played pretty well for a 4th round rookie.

He played about 30% of the defensive snaps (310).  He had 14 tackles, 11 Pressures (Hurries+Knockdowns+Sacks), and 5 QB Hits.

Not big numbers at all, but that is good production from a 4th round rookie.  Most rookies get better.  Don't know if he will ever be a starter, but defensive line plays more rotation than any other position group.  Sample could grow into a very good back up that plays 40+ percent of the snaps.  Those type of guys are key to a good defense.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 12:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I know when we drafted him they talked about him being versatile and maybe playing inside on passing downs.

But I don't remember him doing this much.  To be honest I never payed that much attention to exactly where he was lining up.

According to PFF, of Sample's snaps last season, he only lined up on the interior 18 times the entire season, with 8 of those coming in the first week of the season.  

I found it interesting that Sample started trending in the right direction from an overall rating standpoint (run and pass rush defense grades) and then, he would get injured, and he would come back with a low score again....Low, low/med, med, med/good...injured.  Happened two times during the season as he missed a total of six games.

He was just 21 last season, and if he worked really hard this offseason, he should  have no problem being about 290 lbs and perhaps earning more snaps inside.  The loss of Ossai clearly impacted his positional usage, as did the injuries to Kareem.  
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 12:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I know when we drafted him they talked about him being versatile and maybe playing inside on passing downs.

But I don't remember him doing this much. To be honest I never payed that much attention to exactly where he was lining up.
You don’t remember because he was ineffective inside. Just didn’t have the body for it. For him to get on the field this season he may wanna put on weight. I have a hunch Ogunjobi will be back at some point and with Ossai healthy this pushes Hubbard inside a lot more so there just won’t be the available snaps if there isn’t major injury. I also feel like we’re gonna make BJ Hill earn that contract and up his snaps.

(04-30-2022, 02:58 PM)kalibengal Wrote: he was average IMO and maybe had 1 sack?? ....the Carter pick reminds me of Sample, I just hope hes better
He was a rookie but even then you want a guy to do a little more with that many snaps.
(04-30-2022, 03:32 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Cam Sample actually played pretty well for a 4th round rookie.

He played about 30% of the defensive snaps (310).  He had 14 tackles, 11 Pressures (Hurries+Knockdowns+Sacks), and 5 QB Hits.

Not big numbers at all, but that is good production from a 4th round rookie.  Most rookies get better.  Don't know if he will ever be a starter, but defensive line plays more rotation than any other position group.  Sample could grow into a very good back up that plays 40+ percent of the snaps.  Those type of guys are key to a good defense.
His only hope of PT is putting on weight and being a utility guy that backs up every d line position
(05-01-2022, 11:35 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: According to PFF, of Sample's snaps last season, he only lined up on the interior 18 times the entire season, with 8 of those coming in the first week of the season.  

I found it interesting that Sample started trending in the right direction from an overall rating standpoint (run and pass rush defense grades) and then, he would get injured, and he would come back with a low score again....Low, low/med, med, med/good...injured.  Happened two times during the season as he missed a total of six games.

He was just 21 last season, and if he worked really hard this offseason, he should  have no problem being about 290 lbs and perhaps earning more snaps inside.  The loss of Ossai clearly impacted his positional usage, as did the injuries to Kareem.  
Hopefully he breaks the rotation. His only chance is to have a great preseason, then make some noise before Ogunjobi gets healthy
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 12:16 PM)Housh Wrote: Hopefully he breaks the rotation. His only chance is to have a great preseason, then make some noise before Ogunjobi gets healthy

Huh?  You think the Bengals are going to re-sign Larry Ogunjobi?  
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2022, 07:52 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Huh?  You think the Bengals are going to re-sign Larry Ogunjobi?  

Yeah. Sadly for him the injury probably hurt his value. The Bears were paying that price for the Larry O we had, not the Larry O that can’t pass a physical.

By the time he’s healthy i see us putting our name in the hat and i don’t really see a reason why he wouldn’t come back. He knows our system and could do well here and shoot for that Bears deal he missed out on next year
-Housh
Reply/Quote
What a brilliant pick. Like champ Bailey or Deion sanders.

Sample can do it all.
Reply/Quote
As I recall Sample took most of his snaps at TE
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
No conclusions should be drawn from a small Sample
Reply/Quote

IMO Carter is better than Sample.

Sample is smaller than Carter, so he's even less likely to be a DT in the NFL.
Sample also only had 10.5 sacks across 42 games in college (mostly the American conference) whereas Carter had 17.0 sacks in 41 games (mostly the SEC).
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
All of this Sample talk just reminds me of how excited I am to get to see Ossai this season. I think he could've been a big help last season if his preseason play was any indication of how he would be as a pro, albeit a small sample-size.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2022, 09:53 AM)Dr.Z Wrote: All of this Sample talk just reminds me of how excited I am to get to see Ossai this season.  I think he could've been a big help last season if his preseason play was any indication of how he would be as a pro, albeit a small sample-size.

I also think Khalid Kareem can be a nice rotational piece if he can stay healthy.  Every time he would start getting on a good trend (he basically helped with the Denver game), he would get injured and be out for a period of time again.  
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2022, 09:55 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I also think Khalid Kareem can be a nice rotational piece if he can stay healthy.  Every time he would start getting on a good trend (he basically helped with the Denver game), he would get injured and be out for a period of time again.  

agreed, on Kareem, I tend to forget hes on the team he is out so much....but he does splash here and there when in
Reply/Quote