Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Jonah Williams Will Upgrade LT
(03-29-2020, 02:14 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Jonah's arm length is 33.675"  The "ideal" standard is 34", so we're talking about .375", or 3/8".  That is what all the fuss is about..

Just like Burrow’s hand size. It’s nonsense.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-29-2020, 11:53 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote:  Jonah would be a 1st rounder any year. 

Yeah... I dunno where he got nobody would've drafted him in the first. If the Giants and Raiders didn't reach, we wouldn't even have gotten him.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2020, 12:48 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Maybe taking premium athletes with good production and no injury history is better than taking guys with massive injury red flags, poor production, and/or 5th round measurables? Maybe? Am I nuts?

Oh, I see, all we have to do is take perfect, can't miss prospects with every selection.  Gee, I wonder why no other team in the league has thought of that.  Instead they all weigh game film, injury history, measurables, and other "red flags" because they don't think there are many perfect can't miss prospects in the draft.  

For examples look at just injuries.  The same year we took Ross, three players taken before him were dealing with serious injury issues (Miles Garrett, Leonard Fournette, Christian McCaffrey).  If you eliminate all players who have injury issues then you miss out on a lot of good talent.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2020, 03:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Oh, I see, all we have to do is take perfect, can't miss prospects with every selection.  Gee, I wonder why no other team in the league has thought of that.  Instead they all weigh game film, injury history, measurables, and other "red flags" because they don't think there are many perfect can't miss prospects in the draft.  

For examples look at just injuries.  The same year we took Ross, three players taken before him were dealing with serious injury issues (Miles Garrett, Leonard Fournette, Christian McCaffrey).  If you eliminate all players who have injury issues then you miss out on a lot of good talent.

Wasn’t our only HOF player injured when we drafted him?

Reply/Quote
(03-29-2020, 11:53 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote:  Jonah would be a 1st rounder any year. 
Agree. That was a great pick that turned out unlucky last year.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2020, 03:20 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Wasn’t our only HOF player injured when we drafted him?

LOL! Great point. But he was also highly rated by everyone with the injury red flag.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2020, 03:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Oh, I see, all we have to do is take perfect, can't miss prospects with every selection.  Gee, I wonder why no other team in the league has thought of that.  Instead they all weigh game film, injury history, measurables, and other "red flags" because they don't think there are many perfect can't miss prospects in the draft.  

Good point- but Ross was still way over-drafted and injured.

You said it some where, for a team that depends on draft ( before this year) we have struck out the last several years except for lucking into Mixon.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2020, 03:20 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Wasn’t our only HOF player injured when we drafted him?

I believe Anthony had two knee injuries in college and there were teams that were afraid of him.  Their loss was our gain.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
One of the current gold standards of a modern NFL tackle is Joe Thomas. His arm length is 32"

Just sayin'
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2020, 04:46 PM)Chezaugie Wrote: One of the current gold standards of a modern NFL tackle is Joe Thomas. His arm length is 32"

Just sayin'

Yep.  And the only thing keeping him out of the HOF is that his time hasn't come yet.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(03-29-2020, 04:46 PM)Chezaugie Wrote: One of the current gold standards of a modern NFL tackle is Joe Thomas. His arm length is 32"

Just sayin'

Blasphemy, according to at least one board member, those are some seriously short and stubby arms.  It's a miracle that Thomas even was able to play football.  As with a disability that severe, he should have been riding the short bus to the "school of opportunity" as a kid.   Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

That doesn't mean a team should specialize in taking oft injured players in the first round in hopes they are getting a bargain. Bengals have gone to that well way too often. Jonah is the 4th player in 5 years who fans call "still a rookie" in his second year. Hell, people called Ross "still a rookie" going into his 3rd year.

(03-29-2020, 04:11 PM)bengals67 Wrote: Good point- but Ross was still way over-drafted and injured.

You said it some where, for a team that depends on draft ( before this year) we have struck out the last several years except for lucking into Mixon.

Yeah, Ross was way over-drafted. It's doesn't matter that a couple of other teams might have drafted him. We'd have been better off not even considering the guy.

Reply/Quote
(03-29-2020, 12:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The only pattern I am noticing is you making up bull shit out of thin air and claiming it is true.
Williams has longer arms that Pro Bowl OT Jake Mathews.
Ross....Amazing that he was able to catch 81 passes for 17 tds in 2016 while "playing hardly any snaps at WR"
Ogbuehi was not a "Consensus 3rd or 4th round prospect"  That is 100% make believe troll talk.

This is weaksauce even for you Bilbo.

Yeah, the bias was rampant in that post, but the bolded REALLY made me look twice; did Bilbo not see a single bit of gametape from Ross in 2016?

He lit up in every game he played.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2020, 12:42 PM)BengalChris Wrote: That doesn't mean a team should specialize in taking oft injured players in the first round in hopes they are getting a bargain. Bengals have gone to that well way too often. Jonah is the 4th player in 5 years who fans call "still a rookie" in his second year. Hell, people called Ross "still a rookie" going into his 3rd year.

Yeah, Ross was way over-drafted. It's doesn't matter that a couple of other teams might have drafted him. We'd have been better off not even considering the guy.

Again hindsight is beautiful thing. 
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 10:06 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Hart, Ogbuehi, etc, all had great highlight reels in college too, I am sure.

There's nobody who gets drafted that doesn't have a highlight reel in college. If they didn't, they'd be insurance salesmen.

Of all draft eligible Div 1 NCAA football players, only 3.9% get drafted (and that doesn't even mean you'll ever make a 53 man roster.)

- - - - - - - - -

So trying to compare a college highlight reel against a lacking pro highlight reel is a bad endeavor at best.

Hart and Ogbuehi did not.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2020, 03:14 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Again hindsight is beautiful thing. 

Drafting injured guys high is not a good idea in general. Doing it multiple years in a row is an even worse idea. Hindsight has nothing to do with it.

Reply/Quote
(03-30-2020, 03:41 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Drafting injured guys high is not a good idea in general. Doing it multiple years in a row is an even worse idea. Hindsight has nothing to do with it.

Was Jonah Williams injured when they drafted him?

Reply/Quote
(03-30-2020, 03:41 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Drafting injured guys high is not a good idea in general. Doing it multiple years in a row is an even worse idea. Hindsight has nothing to do with it.

I thought Jonah had a clean bill of health for the entirety of his college days prior to being drafted?
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2020, 03:55 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I thought Jonah had a clean bill of health for the entirety of his college days prior to being drafted?

He did. No injury concerns for Jonah.

It was Price that had these concerns.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2020, 03:55 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I thought Jonah had a clean bill of health for the entirety of his college days prior to being drafted?

(03-30-2020, 03:58 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: He did. No injury concerns for Jonah.

It was Price that had these concerns.

Price did have concerns. Ross had bigger concerns. Ogbuehi had big concerns also.

As far as Jonah is concerns, these guys both say the injury may have occurred at Alabama. Giving credence to this is the fact that he barely even took a snap last OTA, not even contact.

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2019/06/26/jonah-williams-injury-nfl-doctor-provides-insight/

https://www.chicagotribune.com/pfd-jonah-williams-shoulder-injury-bengals-labrum-brace-story.html - Jonah Williams' shoulder injury likely predates time with Bengals

I'm not saying taking Jonah was the wrong thing to do, but the Bengals do have a tendency to disregard injuries in the draft. At least lately.

Reply/Quote