Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Jonah Williams is playing like a premier LT
PFF is back in our good graces it seems.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2021, 12:31 PM)jj22 Wrote: PFF is back in our good graces it seems.

Not mine. It has the same problem it always has, which is it is a synthetic number which we do not know how it is derived and apparently has some "secret sauce" involved. 
Reply/Quote
I couldn't be happier with the way Jonah and Reiff have played, especially Jonah.. We may have finally hit on a Olineman. Jonah has been damn near elite level.. I hope there is a chance Reiff can be resigned, as we can then bring a draft pick or 2 along slowly.. All in all, the line looks like it is starting to gell. I hope they don't mess with it when suifilo comes back.. Leave it the way it is. 1 sack in the last 2 weeks..
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2021, 10:40 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:

Great to hear.. where did they rank Carman
Reply/Quote
This O-line just keeps getting better.The Right side of the line could stand some improvement,but not bad.Proud of what Jonah has accomplished.We sort of figured this would be his breakout year.
Reply/Quote
Carman according to most is playing very well especially in pass protection but is making some beginners mistakes primarily in run blocking - not a total shock as the wide zone concept they are using is totally new to him. Once he internalizes it he will be fine - I listened to Rapien, Liscow and Latham and the take was VERY similar.
Reply/Quote
So who was bitching about Jonah last hear?

I was pretty sure he was going to be pretty good.
Reply/Quote
Don't know how anyone could have watched Jonas last year and guaranteed he would be a good LT. I never trashed the guy and said he was a bust. But the jury was definitely still out on him after last season.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2021, 02:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Don't know how anyone could have watched Jonas last year and guaranteed he would be a good LT. I never trashed the guy and said he was a bust. But the jury was definitely still out on him after last season.

I disagree from a performance perspective; when he played, he played well. He wasn't elite or anything, but he played well. From an injury perspective, I absolutely agree and I would argue that the jury is still be out. He still hasn't played a full season's worth of games despite this being his 3rd season. 
Reply/Quote
First 2 weeks we allow hella sacks and pressures: "Don't be toxic and rub it in"
Next 2 weeks the line plays great: Team Chase is instantly toxic and rubs it in.

I'll take note of this if the winds change.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2021, 05:49 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: First 2 weeks we allow hella sacks and pressures: "Don't be toxic and rub it in"
Next 2 weeks the line plays great: Team Chase is instantly toxic and rubs it in.

What does this have to do with Jonah's performance at LT? He has not allowed "hella sacks" during any game.

Although I was against taking Chase a #5 OA, I was also against those suggesting we need to take Penei and move Jonah..

Every team: "Sewell, Chase, Pitts, Trade down" should be happy with Jonah's performance to date. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-05-2021, 06:33 PM)bfine32 Wrote: What does this have to do with Jonah's performance at LT? He has not allowed "hella sacks" during any game.

Although I was against taking Chase a #5 OA, I was also against those suggesting we need to take Penei and move Jonah..

Every team: "Sewell, Chase, Pitts, Trade down" should be happy with Jonah's performance to date. 

I really didn't want to go down this rabbit hole yet again, but most people were suggesting playing Sewell at RT and bumping Reiff inside...since he had success moving before and said he was open to it.

I'm thrilled with Jonah. Just not thrilled that I have to scroll through Sewell/Chase stuff when I clicked to read about.....Jonah.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2021, 06:40 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I really didn't want to go down this rabbit hole yet again, but most people were suggesting playing Sewell at RT and bumping Reiff inside...since he had success moving before and said he was open to it.

I'm thrilled with Jonah. Just not thrilled that I have to scroll through Sewell/Chase stuff when I clicked to read about.....Jonah.

I'm as thrilled that Chase got over those preseason drops, as I am that Jonah has risen above his injury riddled beginning of his career to play at a level meriting his draft slot, so far this season.  I never doubted that Williams was a good football player, but with how the Bengals had been doing with 1st round picks in recent years, he was looking to be an injury washout. 

On another note;  Much credit to coach Pollack for getting this OL to look and play competitively.  (although they did look like they were sleepwalking in the first half versus Jacksonville) 

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2021, 05:49 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: First 2 weeks we allow hella sacks and pressures: "Don't be toxic and rub it in"

What are you even talking about? Pointing out that one of our young players is playing great is “rubbing it in” now? A thread about a current Bengal starter is somehow a problem?

The Sewell vs Chase thing seems to have literally broke some of y’all’s brains…

Reply/Quote
(10-05-2021, 06:40 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I really didn't want to go down this rabbit hole yet again, but most people were suggesting playing Sewell at RT and bumping Reiff inside...since he had success moving before and said he was open to it.

Me either and including your post there's a total of 3 in them in this thread. 

FWIW Penei looked bad at RT
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-05-2021, 07:25 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm as thrilled that Chase got over those preseason drops, as I am that Jonah has risen above his injury riddled beginning of his career to play at a level meriting his draft slot, so far this season.  I never doubted that Williams was a good football player, but with how the Bengals had been doing with 1st round picks in recent years, he was looking to be an injury washout. 

On another note;  Much credit to coach Pollack for getting this OL to look and play competitively.  (although they did look like they were sleepwalking in the first half versus Jacksonville) 

I'm ecstatic about everything right now. We're 3-1 and both offense and defense are playing great football. Someone mentioned we've allowed the 8th most pressures, but tbh I'd say the line has held up better than I thought it would.

(10-05-2021, 07:53 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: What are you even talking about? Pointing out that one of our young players is playing great is “rubbing it in” now? A thread about a current Bengal starter is somehow a problem?

The Sewell vs Chase thing seems to have literally broke some of y’all’s brains…

Perhaps the debate had a bigger affect on yours, because you missed the 2 posts bringing up Sewell/Chase. Hint: neither was yours.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2021, 08:10 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Me either and including your post there's a total of 3 in them in this thread. 

FWIW Penei looked bad at RT

My post was literally in response to yours (and one other), so mine wouldn't exist if you didn't feel the need to go there. But here we are.

Sewell was barely tested at RT. In preseason, where Chase also looked like doo-doo.

But Chase turned it around.
Reply/Quote
Jonah is a machine. Sometimes they malfunction. Fix em and off we go again.

It's as simple as that and the tats.
Reply/Quote
Dude will be 24 years old next month...........

Just saying...

Young core ready for a string of championships?
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2021, 08:29 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Jonah is a machine. Sometimes they malfunction. Fix em and off we go again.

It's as simple as that and the tats.

(10-05-2021, 08:36 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Dude will be 24 years old next month...........

Just saying...

Young core ready for a string of championships?

It's always fair to question a guy's durability if he comes into the league getting injured a lot, but sometimes it really is just a string of bad luck.

Matt Stafford suffered several injuries early in his career, but wound up being very durable. We wanted Leon over JJo because Joseph had several injuries while Leon was consistently available.

Then after we chose Leon, the tables completely flipped.
Reply/Quote