Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Jonah Williams out for the season
I'm sorry guys. I didn't see this until I just started that other thread. I'm sorry about losing your 1st rounder. We know the feeling in GB about injuries. I hate them.
Reply/Quote
Wow, now I'm really excited. JW was able to play through injury all those years at Bama and still be the best tackle in the draft. Imagine when he's healthy then, he'll make everyone say Andrew who???? Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2019, 03:14 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yeah that was a tough situation. If I recall correctly, we were fighting for a playoff spot too...so the special teamer seemed to make an impact in that way. Hindsight being 20/20...Jackson was probably the better call.

We were "mathematically" still in the hunt, but anyone watching the team knew it wasn't going to happen.  They finished 6-9-1, lost 3 straight out of the week 9 bye, beat the Eagles and the Browns (seems like this was the point in the season when Peerman and Jackson were eligible to come back), then lost the next two.  They went into the bye with a tie at Wembley, a win over the 1-15 Browns the game before, and two straight losses prior to that.  Yeah, playoffs. LMAO

It wasn't hindsight, it was just more Marvin "conservative approach" Lewis.  

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2019, 01:05 PM)fredtoast Wrote: But Jackson had not even had a training camp to get ready.  He might not have been prepared to step right in a play. You have no idea.

Plus he had 3 healthy CBs in front of him. 

The season was toast......get him snaps to "get ready" for next season.  He played well the next season as it went on, maybe some game reps would have hastened his development (likely), maybe not.  One thing's for certain.....Peerman didn't need any more game reps, and he didn't miraculously come in to play on punts and kickoffs and save our season.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(07-01-2019, 12:18 AM)samhain Wrote: Since you're assuming the role of forum police and patting yourself on the back in multiple posts (which is hilariously sad, lol), I'll take a crack at this.  

1.  Maybe the shoulder injury wasn't catastrophic at Alabama.  Maybe the tear wasn't complete or severe.  There could have been damage that didn't prevent him from playing at a reasonably high level. Are you going to say that football players at high levels of the game don't play though injuries every single week?  Do you think that every injury that players sustain is disclosed to fans?  If he had the beginnings of an issue that he could play through and address at the end of the year, then why wouldn't he?

2.  What if he didn't hide it from the Alabama medical staff?  Maybe they knew and didn't disclose it to the public.  Teams don't have to do that.  The Bengals sure as hell didn't disclose what his injury was when it occurred.  It took weeks and most of us believed it was a small issue due to the "dinged up" description in the headline.  They haven't told us how or when it happened, they don't really have to, and they most likely never will.

We're talking about the left tackle for arguably the best team in college football over the last decade.  He was expected to be a high first round pick before the season started, and his team was in the hunt and perhaps favored to win a national title.  I'd call that a key player on a team with a lot on the line.  You don't think that there's a chance that if he could play through an injury, that perhaps he would want to or be encouraged to?  

Add to this the fact that he stood to make millions if he came into the last weekend of April perceived as 100% healthy, and you have a guy with all the reasons in the world to hide an injury and put off fixing it until, you know, he made himself financially secure for the rest of his life.  

As for team examinations, let's not pretend this team hasn't been lacking in this department in the past (Bryant).  If other teams tested him and found something fishy, then why would they share that info with other teams that might potentially blow a high first rounder on him?  Maybe the Bengals staff missed it, or it wasn't as apparent as it was when he did whatever he did in camp (or who knows where else) to it.  

I'm not saying that he did this or that it was preexisting.  I just wouldn't be all that surprised to find out that a player with that much to gain on a team with everything on the line would hide something like that.  I also wouldn't be shocked at all to find out that the Bengals brass didn't do their due diligence on a player before drafting him.  I don't think that you're implication that nothing could possibly get past them is valid.  it's happened before.  

Is it likely?  No.  I hope like hell it didn't go down that way.  Still, I'm not going to knock fans that have a few questions when a player has a season-ending injury in no-pad camp out of the blue.  I'm not the forum police.  That's your job to decide what people should or shouldn't talk about, right?  Data?  LOL.  I didn't realize that we needed a flow chart and power point presentation to converse on a football forum.  I'll give you some data:  The dude that wrote the article for the Union Tribune is an actual medical doctor that has been in the employ of an actual NFL team.  He's seen the evaluation process and been to the combine (probably several) in a professional capacity.  

Where'd you get your medical degree to get your data, doctor?  You ask for data when all you have is snark and pissy attitude.  How many NFL teams have you worked for in any capacity other than unofficial forum police?  LOL.  How many NFL executives and owners have offered you a salary for your professional opinion?  I'd say Dr Chao's (the author) carries significantly more weight than yours by a long shot.
Funny how you skipped right over the portion about the medical examination at the combine and went straight to our medical staff missing something. So thanks for playing!
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2019, 06:27 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Funny how you skipped right over the portion about the medical examination at the combine and went straight to our medical staff missing something. So thanks for playing!

Funny how you skipped practically everything I wrote to go back to the only thing you continue to cling to in any of the Wiliams threads.  We all get it.  You think it's 100 percent impossible for any injury to slip past the superhuman doctors at the combine.  You did nothing but google a few  articles saying how great combine exams are. I mean, a medical professional has never made a mistake right?  I wonder why any of them even bother to take out malpractice insurance? 

If the combine results are so infallible, then why do teams feel the need to send their own doctors to the combine to look closer after the initial combine eval?  Why would anyone need a second visit when the first is so infallible that nothing could possibly missed?  Do they do it just to waste time and money?  Is it a head game just to mess with the players?  LOL.  Why can't owners and coaches just take the word of the one eval like you do when it's the convenient thing to do to defend the team?  Hmmmm.  

You like to take your view of the Brown family as the most brilliant and noble football brain trust in history and beat anyone over the head with it, using zero original or critical thought of your own.  In reality, you know as little or less than the ones you criticize.  At the end of the argument, you have zero clue how this injury occurred.  Was it on-field drills?  In the weight room?  Playing pickup basketball?  Enlighten us.  You can't because like everyone else in this thread, you don't know.  That being the case, I'd say specualtion is fair game until the team or anyone else breaks real details, as much as this may offend your sensibilities regarding your adulation for the Brown family.
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2019, 06:22 PM)samhain Wrote: Funny how you skipped practically everything I wrote to go back to the only thing you continue to cling to in any of the Wiliams threads.  We all get it.  You think it's 100 percent impossible for any injury to slip past the superhuman doctors at the combine.  You did nothing but google a few  articles saying how great combine exams are. I mean, a medical professional has never made a mistake right?  I wonder why any of them even bother to take out malpractice insurance? 

If the combine results are so infallible, then why do teams feel the need to send their own doctors to the combine to look closer after the initial combine eval?  Why would anyone need a second visit when the first is so infallible that nothing could possibly missed?  Do they do it just to waste time and money?  Is it a head game just to mess with the players?  LOL.  Why can't owners and coaches just take the word of the one eval like you do when it's the convenient thing to do to defend the team?  Hmmmm.  

You like to take your view of the Brown family as the most brilliant and noble football brain trust in history and beat anyone over the head with it, using zero original or critical thought of your own.  In reality, you know as little or less than the ones you criticize.  At the end of the argument, you have zero clue how this injury occurred.  Was it on-field drills?  In the weight room?  Playing pickup basketball?  Enlighten us.  You can't because like everyone else in this thread, you don't know.  That being the case, I'd say specualtion is fair game until the team or anyone else breaks real details, as much as this may offend your sensibilities regarding your adulation for the Brown family.

So in a nutshell I am as full of shit as you are.
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2019, 12:21 PM)OSUfan Wrote: So in a nutshell I am as full of shit as you are.

You're the guy who claimed Juwaan Taylor was a top ten pick and Antoine Wesley wouldn't be available in the 7th round of the draft, but if he was he'd be the steal of the draft.

So just smidge more full of shit. Don't sell yourself short.
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2019, 12:32 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: You're the guy who claimed Juwaan Taylor was a top ten pick and Antoine Wesley wouldn't be available in the 7th round of the draft, but if he was he'd be the steal of the draft.

So just smidge more full of shit. Don't sell yourself short.

Oh, I don't know.  At this point in time, Juwaan Taylor might have been the smarter pick at 11..  Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Alright, this sucks!! TS, we should all be used to this shit by now. Let's get on with our business and push on. Pissing and moaning isn't bringing him back this season. Here's to his speedy and full recovery. Roll on highway,roll on along.
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2019, 01:23 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Alright, this sucks!! TS, we should all be used to this shit by now. Let's get on with our business and push on. Pissing and moaning isn't bringing him back this season. Here's to his speedy and full recovery. Roll on highway,roll on along.

I just feel like this is going to be a rebuilding year for us.
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2019, 12:21 PM)OSUfan Wrote: So in a nutshell I am as full of shit as you are.

Precisely.
Reply/Quote
In the first round of the draft, The University of Cincinnati Medical Center selects.....
Reply/Quote